Things you don’t like

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tabl10s

by tabl10s

dgasmd wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 am
-Those people that walk all over with compression socks and even ride in them (mostly tri people)
-high humidity and heat. You just feel like you are coated in 10W50 while seating in an over!!!!!
Was stationed in Vegas and used to love riding@2am while it was 102 degrees. None of that base layer bullshit to deal with.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

filip00 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:23 pm
I'll take another stab at explaining my hatred for folks on 10k+ bikes who can't keep up with a normal easy club ride.
I don't mind people having whatever gear they have. I don't care what anyone else rides, as long as they treat others equally, I have no problem with anyone.

...but...

I always have somewhere in the back of my mind, what my friend used to say about bicycles. You have to earn it. You have to earn the privilege to ride a decent bike. You can't just go in the shop and buy a dogma, if you can't ride. It's just silly. You have to earn and learn in order to know how to respect the thing you're sitting on. I'm not saying people should ride crappy gear....but think about a novice biker buying a vintage Colnago Master or a Bianchi Eroica, taking it for a club ride, wearing MTB shoes, cross chaining, and complaining how heavy the bike is. Or real life example, folks on S-works Venge bikes, having a huge stack because they're not flexible, aero helmet, and you're only going for a club right. Dude, seriously?

I perceive the people I mentioned above the same. Everyone shows up for a club ride, people mostly having bikes around 1000-2000euro, some old dogs have nice bikes worth 3-4k euros, and it's all good. And then along comes Richie Rich, on a 10k bike with new meilensteins, suited up in rapha, yet he can't keep up a 30km/h average pace. One hill and he's dropped by 60 year olds. It is annoying as s*it, of course it is.
So yeah. I don't like such folk, sue me.
If you're rich, you don't have to keep up with regular folk. What some people don't understand is that others earned their Stripes a long time ago in another life and are returning to something they love.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

rides4beer

by rides4beer

- Any noise my bike is making besides the hum of my tires

To that end, any noise someone else's bike is making, I swear some people have never heard of chain lube.

While we're talking about expensive bikes (which I don't care about, ride whatever you want and can afford), but it does make me cringe to see a $5k+ bike that is squeaking and rattling like a Wal-Mart special. Spend all that money and can't even take care of it properly, like seeing a nice sports car that you can tell hasn't been detailed in months.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

1. https://youtu.be/sY7ZKMVEOfI
This video
2. When anyone claims that something is objectively better when it is actually subjectively better (groupset options for example)

ancker

by ancker

-showing up to a group ride with suuuuuper deep wheels on a 25mph, gusts to 40mph day.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Going to take a drink, and getting hit with a random crosswind with one hand on the bars.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

bilwit

by bilwit

filip00 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I know a lot of people like that, common thing in nouveau-riche Asia. One guy has a Pinarello Dogma F10 or whatever Wiggins version, hasn't ridden it in 6 months, it's in the shop gathering dust. The owner is 65 years old and smokes 40 a day. Slow as hell, probably given up riding by now. He wanted 'the best'.

It actually doesn't upset me in the least. I massively enjoy only being able to upgrade one good thing a month. Last month I got a new Arione 00 saddle, next month probably Shamal Ultras. To have a 10k bike off the peg would be hell, nothing to upgrade, nothing to look forward to. No reward for improvement. I like my 2nd tier groupo, alloy wheelset bike. I can always dream of a Super Record C64 with Bora Ultras, but in all honesty I doubt I'd be much quicker on it.
I see your point. I was thinking, and maybe my dislike for such examples of "the better the bike, the weaker the rider" could also be explained by a different example. Let's say I go to a restaurant and I see people ordering full lunch with dessert, when minutes later they only eat half of it and half goes to trash. Am I now JEALOUS of them for hating what they do? I don't know, according to DGASMD - I am obviously jealous. There is no other explanation for him, other than if you dislike somebody's actions, you're jealous. In my mind, this example evokes the same feelings of waste, as when I see overweight weekend warriors riding on best gear available, dying after 20kms. It's a sad sight.

And yes, as Mr.Gib mentioned - I actually do what he said. I wait for them, pull them up to the group if they fall behind. No problem in doing just that.
I think the cycling community in general needs to get over the elitism thing. You see it all over the spectrum--freds hating lycra wearing "race" riders, the sportive riders hating ultra-kitted out riders, fit riders hating on unfit riders, so on and so forth.

There are many combinations of bike riders that may or may not share the same interests and goals as you.

Some people just like to ride bikes and don't care about training, bike weight, aero, efficiency, etc (commuters, urbanists, bike tourers, etc)
Some people are super into building the best bike and getting the best possible kit regardless of fitness or even how much they actually use the thing (hobbyists)
Some people like getting as fit as possible (racers, fitness bros, etc)
Some people are a combination of all these things (probably the majority of people on here)

If I see someone with an ultra nice bike and build but they can't ride.. that's ok. Maybe if I had a conversation with this person, I'd find out that they just love building bikes and sourcing the best parts. Maybe they're a former racer from years past that's getting back into it. Maybe they're just a huge fan of the World Tour and want to ride the same thing as their favorite rider. That's all fine. We have better things to get upset about like drivers killing people in the US every two minutes on average than to give someone shit for wearing Rapha..

Oh and about nice bikes == dumb unfit rich person thing, I started my job at $28k/yr and rode a steel 105 bike exclusively for years and years. I finally saved up and sourced some nice used parts to build a proper "high end" carbon bike just this last year and only push a measely 3.7w/kg for an hour on a good day. Some people just have different financial and personal priorities (I haven't even owned a car in 6 years).

Kazyole

by Kazyole

bilwit wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I think the cycling community in general needs to get over the elitism thing. You see it all over the spectrum--freds hating lycra wearing "race" riders, the sportive riders hating ultra-kitted out riders, fit riders hating on unfit riders, so on and so forth.

There are many combinations of bike riders that may or may not share the same interests and goals as you.

Some people just like to ride bikes and don't care about training, bike weight, aero, efficiency, etc (commuters, urbanists, bike tourers, etc)
Some people are super into building the best bike and getting the best possible kit regardless of fitness or even how much they actually use the thing (hobbyists)
Some people like getting as fit as possible (racers, fitness bros, etc)
Some people are a combination of all these things (probably the majority of people on here)

If I see someone with an ultra nice bike and build but they can't ride.. that's ok. Maybe if I had a conversation with this person, I'd find out that they just love building bikes and sourcing the best parts. Maybe they're a former racer from years past that's getting back into it. Maybe they're just a huge fan of the World Tour and want to ride the same thing as their favorite rider. That's all fine. We have better things to get upset about like drivers killing people in the US every two minutes on average than to give someone shit for wearing Rapha..

Oh and about nice bikes == dumb unfit rich person thing, I started my job at $28k/yr and rode a steel 105 bike exclusively for years and years. I finally saved up and sourced some nice used parts to build a proper "high end" carbon bike just this last year and only push a measely 3.7w/kg for an hour on a good day. Some people just have different financial and personal priorities (I haven't even owned a car in 6 years).
+1. Well said.

Unless someone here is secretly Chris Froome or Tom Dumoulin, none of us do our bikes justice. So judging someone for being a bigger mismatch with their equipment than you are rings hollow to me. It feels the same as if the guy on the 10k bike were looking down on another rider for their 3k bike.

Sure, there are guys who go way overboard at the beginning and buy something crazy out of the gate, but I can't really blame them.

Personally I started slow. Was a lifelong fan of the sport, but waited to buy my first decent bike until I was in college. It was an entry level, sub 1k Fuji Roubaix. I slowly upgraded it over time up to ultegra. Learned pack skills on that bike. Learned maintenance on that bike. Raced that bike. Crashed it a few times. When I got my first good paying job I sold it and bought a cervelo R3. Stopped racing because I didn't have enough time to train and racing wasn't a priority for me anymore. Eventually sold that and bought an open mold chinese frame and built it up with Di2. Couple years later ditched that frame for a cervelo R5. Slowly upgraded the parts to be a weightweenie R5. And I just upgraded the frameset again to an RCA. That entire progression doesn't make me a better person because I did it in stages. It's just my personal journey due to my circumstances at various points in my life. If I'd had the money to buy and race the RCA out of the gate, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it. You could even make a reasonable argument that if you know you're going to stick with the sport, the most cost efficient solution is to buy your forever bike right away so you don't take the depreciation hit selling a bunch of bikes along the way.

And I'm about the same, ~4w/kg FTP. Reasonably quick for a guy who doesn't race, but I'm not about to light the world tour on fire any time soon. But I ride an RCA. Because I've gotten to the point in my life where I can afford to do that, because I still ride hard and want a bike that inspires me to ride hard, and because I spend enough time on a bicycle that I want to maximize my enjoyment of that time.

The way I see it, the more money that gets spent on bikes overall, the healthier the industry is and the more net positive for all of us. And if you're out riding, even if you're slow, I probably have more common ground with you than I do with most everyone else.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Not so sure I buy the idea of wasted high end bikes. I understand it irritates some people when others have more or better etc. For some it's a hard emotion to ignore, resist, or overcome. It's part of our genetic predisposition that increases motivation toward the acquisition of resources to ensure survival. Of course in modern society some of these ancient urges that persist are not applicable and to some seem odd. We all feel jealousy and envy to some degree, some are just better at ignoring it. Been surrounded by this all my life - the extremely wealthy, not the jealous. Best you can do is feel happy for their good fortune, and maybe take a little vicarious pleasure in their high end gear. Let the rich boys play even if it's only once a month. And if it really bugs you, I recommend getting crazy strong and then just riding them and anyone else who is "over equipped" off your wheel. No amount of gear will make up for the sense of inadequacy these guys will feel when they get dropped. :twisted:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I never feel inadequate getting dropped. I just think “good riddance” and stop for lunch. Their loss. Lol.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I recall the happiest times I've had riding was putting on that Gewiss kit and getting on my matching Bianchi Ti Megatube frame. I was in the best shape ever and felt like a pro every time I went out to ride.

But thinking back, the best ride I ever rode was on a Colnago Titanio. That frame was NICE!!! I don't know what tubing they used, but it was something special. Wish Colnago still made them.

Oh, I forgot-this thread is about things I don't like. Here's one-

When some idiot would get on my case because I hardly ever went to the front to do some "work". The training rides were always much more fun without him.

No one was out to outdo anyone else, everyone rode as a group and we did a nice pace without killing ourselves or leaving anyone behind. The only time anyone crashed was the idiot in question, who would either ride into someone from the side or the rear and then complain that the guy in front of him didn't keep the pace up.

Wherever this guy is I'll guess that he's just as miserable now as he was then. And I'm glad no one else has seen him in years, which can only mean he moved away from the area.

Good riddance, I say.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Berzin1 wrote: Oh, I forgot-this thread is about things I don't like. Here's one-

When some idiot would get on my case because I hardly ever went to the front to do some "work". The training rides were always much more fun without him.
It’s a beautiful thing when the entire group is working together, but that one super strong guy with the ego can ruin the whole thing. Nothing upsets him more than when no one will even try to follow his wheel when he gets to the front and tries to pick up the pace a notch or two above where everyone else is comfortable. Too funny when he turns around to find himself out in front all alone. Slows to “let everyone else back on” only to repeat the process. I’m chuckling to myself as I write this.
Ah, Cat 6... gotta love it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I forgot to mention this-

Guys who show up looking and riding like never before, bragging about how disciplined they are about their equipment, diet, training, etc. but leave out the monthly prescriptions for testosterone, HgH and cortisone conveniently filled out at their local anti-aging clinic.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Berzin1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 am
I forgot to mention this-

Guys who show up looking and riding like never before, bragging about how disciplined they are about their equipment, diet, training, etc. but leave out the monthly prescriptions for testosterone, HgH and cortisone conveniently filled out at their local anti-aging clinic.
I wonder if they have this stuff here. I have to get some of this. I do about 800 km per week so surely I am entitle to a little extra help :D But I never tear up a nice group ride. If I want more work I just sit up taller and spend longer on the front. Now if you throw in a few of the hazardous circus clowns, I might have to separate the wheat from the chaff. Oh, just realized, maybe I don't have as many friends as a thought. :(
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

themidge

by themidge

Calnago wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 pm
It’s a beautiful thing when the entire group is working together
There's another thing I don't like: being the first to get tired (usually headwind induced) and sit on the group. Not because I'm embarrassed to be slow/tired - all the mamils can see just by looking at me that fast flat rides will never be my thing - but because it breaks the rhythm of the group. It's nice being towed all the way back into town, but shouting "hup!" every time someone reaches the back of the paceline is annoying. It is quite satisfying when I hear that shout behind me from someone else though :twisted: .
If I get round still pulling through then I contest the town sign sprint at the end, but if I have to sit on then I don't sprint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com