Things you don’t like

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Moved this to chat, as it has evolved and has little or nothing to do with Road.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

too long sleeves, too long socks, helmets that look like designed in the 80's, welder's goggles, 15" screens mounted on handlebars, compact cranks yet wheels deep as *f*...

and from another bucket - I don't like super fast descending. used to love it as a kid, but now I just find it an unnecessary risk. and my legs get too still after them, so I always try to avoid steep descents where you brake more than you pedal, and pick my route in a way so I can actually put some hammer down - still fast, (like e.g. 53-13 fast) but entirely safe.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

AJS914

by AJS914

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:05 am
AJS914 wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am
icantaffordcycling wrote:1. https://youtu.be/sY7ZKMVEOfI
This video
"Look at me showing off the spacer towers on my ultra fast/smooth/comfortable bikes!"

Would you say he was showing off if he was doing a review of his new Honda Civic?

The funny thing is that any chump can afford a $10K bike. Save, or plunk down the credit card and buy it. End of story. Those bikes are worth less than a new Honda.
As a 17 y/o with no meaningful income and no credit card. You are wrong.

You miss the point. I also said that you can save for a bike. Get a job. :-)

The point is that when someone posts some bikes on youtube or shows up on a group ride on a $10K bike, it doesn't mean that they are a Ritchey Ritch or a millionaire or anything. It just means that they came up with $10K. It's not a big deal. Lots of folks drive around in cars costing lots more and we don't think they are wealthy doctors or lawyers.

My point is that the appearance of a $10K bike means nothing. People that get their panties in a bunch over someone else posting a $10K bike on the internet are a little ridiculous.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^I'm sorry, but your 1st world perspective couldn't be further from reality most of people living on this planet experience
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

AJS914

by AJS914

Give me a break. Most people on this board bitching and moaning about super bikes, $3000 wheelsets, power meters, and expensive weight weenie parts are living in wealthy western countries.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

bilwit wrote:
I think the cycling community in general needs to get over the elitism thing. You see it all over the spectrum--freds hating lycra wearing "race" riders, the sportive riders hating ultra-kitted out riders, fit riders hating on unfit riders, so on and so forth.

There are many combinations of bike riders that may or may not share the same interests and goals as you.

Some people just like to ride bikes and don't care about training, bike weight, aero, efficiency, etc (commuters, urbanists, bike tourers, etc)
Some people are super into building the best bike and getting the best possible kit regardless of fitness or even how much they actually use the thing (hobbyists)
Some people like getting as fit as possible (racers, fitness bros, etc)
Some people are a combination of all these things (probably the majority of people on here)

If I see someone with an ultra nice bike and build but they can't ride.. that's ok.

That's all fine. We have better things to get upset about like drivers killing people in the US every two minutes on average than to give someone shit for wearing Rapha..

people just have different financial and personal priorities (I haven't even owned a car in 6 years).
What this guy said x1000!!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:I never feel inadequate getting dropped. I just think “good riddance” and stop for lunch. Their loss. Lol.
Love it!!!!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

AJS914 wrote:Give me a break. Most people on this board bitching and moaning about super bikes, $3000 wheelsets, power meters, and expensive weight weenie parts are living in wealthy western countries.
And a massive YES!!!! To this guy!!

AnkitS

by AnkitS

AJS914 wrote: My point is that the appearance of a $10K bike means nothing. People that get their panties in a bunch over someone else posting a $10K bike on the internet are a little ridiculous.
I understand what you mean now. thank you.

otoman

by otoman

Mechanics that too lazy or unwilling to think outside of the proprietary parts on any of the big name manufacturers. “You just need a new Specialized frame”

And your mom not leaving when I tell her to.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

People acting unpredictably in our group.
People who never ever progress (performance/general ability) in our group.
Leaving early from the coffee break during our group rides without giving a short notice and/or not waiting for people who took the additional lap.

That said, I love our group.

dim

by dim

people who give me dirty looks just because I'm faster and fitter than them, and because I can afford a much better bike and better kit than them
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

sychen

by sychen

dim wrote:people who give me dirty looks just because I'm slower and fatter than them, and because I can afford a much better bike and better kit than them
Fixed it for you...

Oops that's just me.. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Orbital

by Orbital

1. Bees

2. Bees in my helmet

3. Being a mouth breather and having a bee ring off my teeth

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Kazyole wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 pm
TheRich wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:02 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 pm

There are cycling specific hats. They are better. More civilized.
Cycling caps are for cycling. Cycling caps can be worn under helmets, but never when not riding, no matter how hip you think you look.
mattr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm not sure whats worse, people who quote them as a joke, or people who quote them in all seriousness.
:wink:
Oh damn, we're fighting now.

I will agree, cycling caps are for cycling. If you're just out for a stroll wearing one you can *f##k* right off.

But if you just won a bike race, why would you put on a baseball hat? It would be like if hockey players put on football helmets before lifting the stanley cup.

It's for a different sport. It makes no sense. I am willing to die on this hill.

Sorry .. why is it wrong to wear a cycling cap when off the bike ? i wear them all the time.
I do agree that baseball hats on the pdium are wrong.. but weraing a casquet any time is ok with me.. BTW the EF bucket hat was probably the worst offence.. trying so hard to be cool...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com