OT: DWR clothing and environmental harm

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

Hey Weenies,

We don't seem to go off topic on these forums, but I recently posted this on another forum and thought it'd be worth posting here.

I've been reading a little bit about DWR finishes on clothing and just how horrible they are for the environment. Specifically, the fluorocarbon-based by-products (PFOA and PFOS) that are environmentally persistent and highly toxic/carcinogenic.

Being cyclists, we love the outdoors and therefore it should follow that we would want to protect it.

I'm voting with my $, and have chosen non-DWR winter clothing recently with a plan to use environmentally friendly options I can apply myself, like Nikwax or Sciessent Curb. It would be great to get this information out there to cyclists at large, and to lobby cycling clothing manufacturers to commit to not using toxic formulations by a certain date.

I'm a bit of a hippy, but don't often get involved in "causes". For some reason though, this one really resonates with me.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I think the EU may already be legislating for this, or beginning to at least. A UK cycling clothing company told me recently that they were changing their DWR coatings and treatments and I'm sure they said it was an EU initiative
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for making me aware of this - I'll definitely do my research befor my next DWR purchase.

LouisN

by LouisN

Maybe you should have written in your title the chemicals involved in environmental harm and not the water repelling treatment on garment itself.
For example, here's what Patagonia did with the "problem":
https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2015/03/our-dwr-problem/

Louis :)

robeambro

by robeambro

robertbb wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 am
Hey Weenies,

We don't seem to go off topic on these forums, but I recently posted this on another forum and thought it'd be worth posting here.

I've been reading a little bit about DWR finishes on clothing and just how horrible they are for the environment. Specifically, the fluorocarbon-based by-products (PFOA and PFOS) that are environmentally persistent and highly toxic/carcinogenic.

Being cyclists, we love the outdoors and therefore it should follow that we would want to protect it.

I'm voting with my $, and have chosen non-DWR winter clothing recently with a plan to use environmentally friendly options I can apply myself, like Nikwax or Sciessent Curb. It would be great to get this information out there to cyclists at large, and to lobby cycling clothing manufacturers to commit to not using toxic formulations by a certain date.

I'm a bit of a hippy, but don't often get involved in "causes". For some reason though, this one really resonates with me.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I didn't know.

Even happier of having decided to reduce my cycling wardrobe and pick Shakedry clothing to deal with the rain.

Shrike

by Shrike

Totally unaware though makes sense when you think about it - clearly it's some sort of chemical treatment. I like how Haglofs do a Bluesign range, I try to stick with that for my outdoors gear although it's often expensive and to be honest I don't really know how 'friendly' it is - that stuff has DWR treatments on it too surely?

The things that I feel guilty about right now are using crap like Morgan's Blue in the bath to clean the drivetrain. And using lube and seeing it drip on the road (I often apply wet lube just before the ride outdoors if I'm travelling).

Would love to see some brainstorming and maybe a thread with a list of friendly lubes, cleaning products, clothing etc so you can basically just shop off of that.

robertbb

by robertbb

Lanolin (secreted by sheep) is a pretty good lube and environmentally friendly. Chain waxing is an another alternative I'm considering.

For cleaning drivetrain (and rest of bike), a simple citrus based biodegradable degreaser is enough.

Clothing - bluesign approved is great. A lot of polyester fibres and fleeces used in jerseys are actually recycled (they are technically a plastic... can be made from recycled bottles).

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Should we start an environmental thread? Things like co2 cartridges get my goat (completely unnecessary). Not repairing inner tubes too.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I think it’s more important than anything else you could probably create here thread wise. Just not sure what angle you’d hit it from. Discussion or get straight into sharing environmentally green products/tips or whatever.

It’s 2019, pretty scary that the forum hasn’t got something already. It’s a cycling forum after all. People look at us like we’re all self-absorbed, self-righteous plant based Durianrider worshippers that compete over who has the lowest carbon footprint 😎

micky

by micky

Just saw that Ale is testing some new fabrics for jersey made out of recycled material (fibers).

kode54

by kode54

Does that mean that Gore uses DWR on their shakedry or other Goretex fabrics? or is DWR on non Goretex fabric?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

robertbb

by robertbb

Yes, Gore Shakedry has as DWR applied.

jlok

by jlok

No matter how environmentally friendly a product the capitalists suggest, reduction should be the best way to conserve the nature. Buy nice, dont buy twice.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robeambro

by robeambro

robertbb wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 pm
Yes, Gore Shakedry has as DWR applied.
Are you sure? I seem to recall that Shakedry was "naturally water resistant" and needed no DWR as a consequence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

jlok wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:51 am
No matter how environmentally friendly a product the capitalists suggest, reduction should be the best way to conserve the nature. Buy nice, dont buy twice.
Does that include bikes :P ? .....

Louis :)