Time to GTFO

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I like the site for the wealth of information it provides, but I have this nagging feeling that pretty much everything here is met with hostility, and I usually do not thrive well in such environments. Stay well.

Orbital

by Orbital

That’s just the nature of the internets. I’d wager most people are pleasant face to face. Try not to take internet life too seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I hope it wasn’t my comment in the “Tyres for Bora” thread that you took as hostile. Not meant to be at all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Sometimes keyboard warriors can get kind of nasty but it might be the passion of the subject that can make us this way. Guess you have to have a bit of thick skin and try to be as assertive as possible.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sorry to see you go. There are a few individuals here who have made nasty and insulting comments to me. I just tune them out. I’m here for the wealth of information.

Funny thing though. When I say that I’m old and slow the attacks go away. Nobody wants to have a knife fight with an old and slow guy like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

In both virtual and real life, learning to meet disagreements with calm to get the most out of it is necessary. You can always ignore the things that sours your reading experience here and go get a chuckle at a Godzuki thread anytime. Take care nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

I just add them to the ignore list.

Only have one or two on there now.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I'll go one further. You have to have a sense of humour about even the worst of it. It's possible to find a way to take almost anything personal and negative. That'll eat you up. Have a laugh at the trolling and troll back a bit if you have to. Check out what I just posted in the pro thread. I suggested Van derPoel displayed bad bike handling in his Flanders crash and a bunch of guys shit themselves. Just think about the whole concept of this. You have to be entertained. This is a bike forum, imagine what goes on in political forums these days.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Long rambling post alert:

Im sorry if you leave; but assuming you havent already, a few things perhaps to bear in mind.

A forum is like a company, a bar, sports club, or indeed any organisation where people gather and chat. It takes time to learn the norms, what not to say, and to learn who are the bulshitters (guy talked about taking 450-500w turns at the front for a 3 hour ride last week), who is the weird guy sitting in the corner discussing his cheese tour of belgium, and who is there for banter, and who really knows his shit.

This forum has, in the 10 plus years ive been on it, mutated from a German tuning site, to a UK led Pinarello boys club, then the US guys and MadCow and now it seems more Auzzies and New Zealanders. Perhaps their idea of "banter" isnt the same as yours, perhaps they just take themselves way, way too seriously, but like Mattr says, block and move on.

Dont to go "pro" section if you dont want a shitfest, its like arguing with my wife - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Why stay? Cos the level of real technical knowledge is more than anywhere else, and there is some great tech stuff. As an example, I rode last week with two guys who won Grand Tour stages back in the day, Joan H and some german guy named Linus. When I was finally out of my oxygen debt coma at the coffee shop I asked if it was risky descending on the "wrong" brake blocks - got a blank look like "how the F**uk do I know". But I got an answer on here.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Good post. I think I’ve been here that long. The Pinarello era was one guy, wasn’t it? I thought it was more like the Lightweight Wheels era!

I had a long hiatus but this site is very technical and I’ve used it a lot over the years.

Sure, there’s some trolling - I think someone accused me of not know how to use a QR the other day! All part of the enjoyment.

mattr

by mattr

RTW wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am
I think someone accused me of not know how to use a QR the other day! All part of the enjoyment.
Might have been me in one of the wheel off trainer threads....... ;)

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Possibly! But you're forgiven!

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I hate to see people leave this site. The one thing I look forward too everyday is reading this site and everybodys comments. The best this about this site is the pure engineering love of cycling aspect as any other views can be seen on multiple cycling boards..

flying

by flying

RTW wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am
Good post. I think I’ve been here that long. The Pinarello era was one guy, wasn’t it? I thought it was more like the Lightweight Wheels era!
You must mean LJ? Lee

I really liked his Pina posts, trips to Mallorca etc & yes a lot about LW too

LW/Lee was always a super nice guy & if I recall correctly donated a set of LW's to a young rider/WW member from Netherlands named Kuiper
I think it was Kuiper...It was awhile ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Nothing better than a good old fashioned “why I am leaving post”.