Biggest Phone You Carry With You During Rides?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have my phone (Blackberry Dtek 50) on my person almost always and its not all that big but its as big as I want Height 147 mm Width 72.5 mm Depth 7.4 mm. I always carry it at work cause the camera comes in handy for parts needed during breakdowns just so the parts people dont give you that dumb look when you tell them what you need. I have used mine on the bike for idiot drivers that think I should be riding in the ditch or when we have crashes on club rides. Had to call the wife just the other day when I got a flat and the spare I inflated with CO2 froze the valve and leaked everything out or at least I think that was the issue. I checked the spare when I got home and it was okay. Otherwise I am a texter not a talker.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

beamerspaans

by beamerspaans

I have a Note9 which is absolutely fine in my back pocket.. doubt there is many bigger phones in the market..

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is WW and I’m surprised to see so many big phones being lugged on rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ ImageI just read this after your post of a few minutes ago in another thread...
pdlpsher1 wrote:...I hate seat bags and I carry a lot of stuff as the remote places I frequently ride have no cell service. I love having the tools down low which helps lower the center of gravity. Something to consider if you carry a lot of crap like me.
One man’s crap is another man’s necessity I guess.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Calnago wrote: One man’s crap is another man’s necessity I guess.
Haha. I guess that’s very true. I’m just amazed at the number of folks carrying tablet-sizes phones in their pockets.

I can’t take a big phone with me even if I wanted to. My jersey pockets are already full of gels, bananas, clothing, etc. And a phone wouldn’t fit in my spares kit. But another recent incident reminded me the importance of carrying a phone. I was chased by a dog and dog almost got me. If something terrible did happen to me I could call the county sheriff and file a report. Now with my Apple watch I do have a peace of mind.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Just changed my phone to an iPhone XR. I too am thinking about a small phone, but it doesn't appear possible to have it on the same number. I also use Whatsapp's live location so my wife knows where I am. Perhaps I'll just use my old iPhone instead.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I carry my Pixel 2 on a Quadlock handlebar mount next to my Garmin GPS. The phone is claimed to be waterproof, and so far has survived several rainy days without problem. An advantage of carrying it there is that I can easily answer an incoming call on speaker and keep both hands on the handlebars during the call except for the couple of seconds needed to accept the call and hang up at the end.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 am
Calnago wrote: One man’s crap is another man’s necessity I guess.
Haha. I guess that’s very true. I’m just amazed at the number of folks carrying tablet-sizes phones in their pockets.

I can’t take a big phone with me even if I wanted to. My jersey pockets are already full of gels, bananas, clothing, etc. And a phone wouldn’t fit in my spares kit. But another recent incident reminded me the importance of carrying a phone. I was chased by a dog and dog almost got me. If something terrible did happen to me I could call the county sheriff and file a report. Now with my Apple watch I do have a peace of mind.

It is surprising to see that you enjoy having an Apple Watch with you. I hate carrying something around my wrists. It gives me massive discomfort on bad quality roads.

Anyways;
some comments here motivated for the bigger phone. I want to have the Mi 9 because currently on some rides I carry my phone + a compact camera for photos; Sony RX100 Mk3.

A newer phone will let me take similar quality photos without actually carrying anything extra in my pockets.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

No mention of the new Palm phone?

https://www.palm.com/product

3.8 x 2 inches. Works as a companion phone with your existing number. Seems pretty ideal as a backup phone to take out riding/to the gym etc,

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ToffieBoi wrote: It is surprising to see that you enjoy having an Apple Watch with you. I hate carrying something around my wrists. It gives me massive discomfort on bad quality roads..
I got the WW version. 40mm aluminum with a sports loop. It’s so light that I don’t even notice it’s there. I can also put the watch in my tool kit but so far the watch hasn’t bothered me a bit. And I haven’t worn a watch in ten years but now I appreciate the convenience of answering a call anywhere in the house without having the need to find and run to the phone.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

MichaelK wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm

3.8 x 2 inches. Works as a companion phone with your existing number. Seems pretty ideal as a backup phone to take out riding/to the gym etc,
that's a cool one, but I haven't really seen one in any store. I guess credit card size is just perfect, and a tad bit smaller than my beloved 3gs. I'm definitely going to get one as soon as my nokia breaks down... which might be never...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Bogan

by Bogan

I carry a Note 9. It goes in the jersey pocket and stays there. It is synched to my Elmnt so I can see who's calling, but most of the time I ignore the calls, much to the SWMBOs disgust. Also easy to read maps for old eyes. The maps on most bike computers are useless in my books.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

alber84

by alber84

a key phone from 10 years ago. only use it in case of emergency. no problems in case it is scratched or wet.

bilwit

by bilwit

MichaelK wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm

verizon only? :cry:

does seem pretty ideal, that's easily a 100g+ saving right there

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

How about one of these

https://bgr-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/ ... -amazon%2F

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com