Biggest Phone You Carry With You During Rides?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello everyone,

Here is a different Cycle Chat topic. I'm about to purchase a new cellphone after few years with my HTC 10.

Best phone I found within my budget and spesifications I want is massive, Xiaomi Mi 9 (157.5 x 74.7 x 7.6 mm (6.20 x 2.94 x 0.30 in) ). With a thick, protective case, my HTC 10 is still smaller than the Xiaomi and that worries me for the rides.

So, what is the biggest cellphone you carry in your jersey pocket during the rides? Did you have any problems because phone is too big or too heavy? Is it possible to take a photo during the ride (That part is important as well, I like taking photos)? What about commutes, does it bother you when pedalling in jeans or shorts?

I appreciate any kind of feedback :)

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

I phone 7 in a card case wrapped in a plastic ziplock to protect against sweat or rain. No problems yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Always have my Pixel 2xl and a s8.. They are with me 24/7..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Hate having unneccessary bulk in my back pockets, so no smart phone for me on the bike. I use a tiny burner phone for emergency contact only. In 40+ years on the bike I've never stopped to take a photo and I used to work as a photographer! Maybe this is a good time to start!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

sychen wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 pm
Always have my Pixel 2xl and a s8.. They are with me 24/7..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Good to hear that Pixel 2XL does not cause troubles.
liam7020 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:25 pm
Hate having unneccessary bulk in my back pockets, so no smart phone for me on the bike. I use a tiny burner phone for emergency contact only. In 40+ years on the bike I've never stopped to take a photo and I used to work as a photographer! Maybe this is a good time to start!!
That is a good advice, thank you. When I'm riding tubs, I carry only a tyre sealant and on clinchers, everything is in a tool bottle. I prefer freezing in the morning a little so I'll not carry a gillet all the way back home in my back pocket. So I like keeping my pockets empty, but I still enjoy taking photos too much. I don't ride to train or competite, I ride to spend good times and I like recording those moments.
But I understand you really well. The moment I quit working for a bicycle magazine, I stopped watching bike races. Needed some time away from the work.
Last edited by ToffieBoi on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I never used to carry a phone. There’s just no place to put it. I’m a small rider with equally small jersey pockets. Then an incident happened recently made me rethink about not carrying a phone. I was riding into darkness and my light wouldn’t turn on. I was an hour from home. Luckily a motorist had pulled over to take a call. And I borrowed his phone to call the wife. So to protect myself against emergencies I bought an Apple Watch. I put the watch on sleep mode because I don’t want to be bothered with calls or texts while I’m riding. It’s nice to know I now I have a phone with me in case of an emergency. I’m not a picture taking kind of a guy so the lack of a camera on the Apple Watch doesn’t bother me.

I later found out the reason why my light wouldn’t turn on. Lithium Ion batteries don’t do well in the cold. And was only 12F when I needed to turn on the light. The light worked fine once I moved the light indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

iPhone X, always with me.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

last year I ditched my Iphone for a Nokia 301 - some 'old' junk with buttons and stuff. I used 3gs for many years, then the 5 series (that was so-so), but when I had to upgrade, I found out the current iterations are simply way too big and too heavy - I couldn't comfortably operate it with one hand, and it didn't fit into every jersey. I didn't really use smartphone's features anyway so using a 'normal' phone isn't an issue for me. I believe some people think it's a fashion statement of sorts, as they sometimes look at me with that weird kind of appreciation... but truth be told most of the times I get the "are you poor" stare, luckily no one has offered to buy me food - yet! :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If i ever see you looking all dejected and hungry on the side of the road, I will buy you a hot dog. After I take a picture of you with my iPhone. Just how small are your guys’ jersey pockets that you can’t fit something the size of an iPhone in. The actual phone (talking) feature is probably the least used app on my phone. Text is by far the most used. And it’s awesome having a decent camera always at your disposal. And in the event of an emergency, well... nuff said. And if I’m riding alone, I have Incident Detection enabled on my Garmin and in conjunction with the Bluetooth on my phone, if I were to crash and end up unconscious in a ditch somewhere out is sight of traffic, my Emergency Contacts would be immediately notified with GPS coordinates. So it’s really a huge safety measure as well. Yeah, riding with a phone these days is a given for me because it’s so much more than that. I’ve even made posts to this forum while out on a ride, including pics.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I'm too oldschool for all of that - I don't use any sort of computers, garmins, PMs etc. I don't even use a sat nav in my car, perhaps because I love reading regular PAPER maps so much... and as for phones, I use them to call, hate texting, messaging, I don't need stock exchange info, friends' cat pics or any of that... and yup, modern smartphones are way too big imho. my daughter has a S7, and every time we go out riding we need to take a small back pack only for that bloody thing to fit in...

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I fit my one plus 6 // my brothers one plus 6t in my middle pocket.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tymon_tm wrote:...I don't need stock exchange info, friends' cat pics or any of that...
What?! No cat pics? What kind of a human being are you anyways Image

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

damn that must be a whole 0.5 mill pixels in that photo :mrgreen:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. I have no idea how many pixels. You just point your phone at it, and push a button and voila... instant memory. You should try it. It’s easy. Really.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

As Calnago has said carrying a phone for me is purely for safety more than anything else. When it's connected to my Garmin it won't allow calls through anyway so there are no interruptions. Having Android pay also means I don't have to carry any money with me either which is great. I have Pixel 2xl and have previously had Huawei mate 7&9 all 6'+ screens and in middle back pocketi never even notice it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk