What's the 3 best cycling accesories that you have ever bought?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Etienne wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Well, in more than 20 years of cycling, I'd say :

> Speedplay pedals, 15 years ago. They are not for everyone, I agree with that but perfect for me

> carbon soled shoes .... going to very stiff soles solved most of my knee problem, probably by stabilising the feet and legs :idea:

> Rotor rings. I tried to go back to round rings a few weeks ago, but no way to get rid of oval rings :mrgreen:

So mostly around power transmission ...
It would be interesting to evaluate which had more of an influence over your knee issues...the Speedplays or the carbon soles?

I had the original Speedplays back in the early 90's from memory and tried the later models but went back to Time pedals due to the lack of stability in the clear system...for me the new XPro pedals work well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

Wingnut wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 pm
Etienne wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Well, in more than 20 years of cycling, I'd say :

> Speedplay pedals, 15 years ago. They are not for everyone, I agree with that but perfect for me

> carbon soled shoes .... going to very stiff soles solved most of my knee problem, probably by stabilising the feet and legs :idea:

> Rotor rings. I tried to go back to round rings a few weeks ago, but no way to get rid of oval rings :mrgreen:

So mostly around power transmission ...
It would be interesting to evaluate which had more of an influence over your knee issues...the Speedplays or the carbon soles?

I had the original Speedplays back in the early 90's from memory and tried the later models but went back to Time pedals due to the lack of stability in the clear system...for me the new XPro pedals work well.
I adopted the Speedplays because I wanted the double face engagement and the tunable angular play, not for knee problems. I've had Time, Look and tried Shimano, but prefer Speedplays by far.

Carbon soles were recommended to me because I felt discomfort under the feet ... but I realized that they also helped stabilizing my fairly supinating feet, and I had regularly fascia lata tensor problems. No more problems, and discomfort is gone ... one stone, two birds :mrgreen:

mrd

by mrd

1. Lupine Rotlicht: the best rear light , £60 over 10 years ago and just replaced the battery for £7.50, just brilliant German quality and still the best rear light I have ever owned. (Hope District+ was great but separate battery was a pain)

2. Exposure Strada SB front light: £200 last year, the daybright feature is just what I was looking for in a winter front light, see and be seen, full beam and dip, genuine 12 hours battery on daybright

3. Silca Superpista Ultimate Hiro track pump: Bought August 2019: £350. "How much?!!!!" people have said to me (retail is about £410). Then they see it and sort of understand. A retirement gift/indulgence that should outlive me (25 year no questions asked guarantee on everything) Every time I use it I just smile, even though all it does is the same as my Specialized and Lezyne track pumps.....but with style.

3Pio

by 3Pio

1. A Story About A Different Planet Kindle Edition Book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082H3VP7Z/re ... 80_TE_M1DP

"The book abounds with good examples of a child who begins to understand adult problems and learns how to deal with them. Running away from reality, he tries his best to find a way to happiness. Throughout the book you will find many helpful tips."

I found that cycling do just what is wroten in this book :) , escaping from Adult Reality and feeding Child inside me, and that when i do cycling im getting beeing child again (if i ever grow up :) ) Interesting read anyway, and nice time spend togetheter with nephew...(which im trying to put her in Cycling since young age :) , she is almost 7 now..)

So this book keep me calm that is ok to buy more bicycle parts :), and to ride instead of hanging in office.. it's not me.. Child inside me asking for :)

2. Favero Assioma Duo Power meter

https://cycling.favero.com/assioma

Made me learn usefull things, get me understund how my body works, to plan my riding and to have some deeper point.. When i first bought them, i thought it will be just numbers, but really usefull ....

3. Proper winter clothes like Undercap, Base Layer

I stopped beeing ill and getting flu every winter when i discover those two under my wind stopper jacket:

1. Castelli Difesa 2 Cap

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/at/men ... 55819A-010

2. Castelli Flanders Base Layer

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/at/fla ... 53119A-008

dim

by dim

mrd wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:24 pm
1. Lupine Rotlicht: the best rear light , £60 over 10 years ago and just replaced the battery for £7.50, just brilliant German quality and still the best rear light I have ever owned. (Hope District+ was great but separate battery was a pain)

Hmmmm .... I'm definately buying one in the new year
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kode54

by kode54

I've have one that's about that old. Battery is still going strong, although haven't gone over 8 hrs yet. Once it starts dying at 4 hrs, I'll probably swap mine out. Made very well, and bright.
dim wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:23 pm
mrd wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Hmmmm .... I'm definately buying one in the new year
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mrd

by mrd

i replaced the clear front for the red one whilst changing the battery. 12 hours on level 3 flash again. i was down to about 7 before the swap with the battery life indicator going from 4 red flashes after about 4 hours to turning itself off once or twice on a ride about 2 hours later.

dim

by dim

mrd wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:17 pm
i replaced the clear front for the red one whilst changing the battery. 12 hours on level 3 flash again. i was down to about 7 before the swap with the battery life indicator going from 4 red flashes after about 4 hours to turning itself off once or twice on a ride about 2 hours later.
I'm currently using the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 .... 8 hrs of runtime and an amazing light ...

The Lupine will be my backup for long tours/audax (used for special rides) .... If I knew of the Lupine I would have bought that instead of the Cygolite
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kode54

by kode54

Thx for that battery info. Good to know.

I ride in most weather, so the screws that holds the Lupine together is corroded. Hopefully, when i do need to replace the battery, I should be able to take it apart. I repaced the clear lens as well...but when I first got mine. Looked better on my bike...and I use the saddle rail mount where I can swap the light out and snap it onto another bike.
mrd wrote:
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kode54 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 pm
Thx for that battery info. Good to know.

I ride in most weather, so the screws that holds the Lupine together is corroded. Hopefully, when i do need to replace the battery, I should be able to take it apart. I repaced the clear lens as well...but when I first got mine. Looked better on my bike...and I use the saddle rail mount where I can swap the light out and snap it onto another bike.
mrd wrote:
And now the Lupine Rotlicht is available in a Max version with double the battery life / run time.

Great tail light.