What's the 3 best cycling accesories that you have ever bought?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

alber84

by alber84

1) sidi dragon
2) sunglases uvex fotocromatic
3) culotte assos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

1. Ultimate Elite repair stand, now Feedback Sports. Bought in 2004, still going strong today after 1 million bike washes.
2. Lezyne Road Drive mini-pump. Got this in 2011, no more bent/broken valve stems with the hoses, just make sure valve cores are tight.
3. King stainless bottle cages. First pair bought in 2008 and still being used, I've added 2 other pair of stainless and one pair of Ti since then.

LewisK

by LewisK

Giro Empire SLX shoes. Uber light, stiff and comfortable. They are a few years old now so I may stock up as they are going cheap!

BojanK

by BojanK

38cm bars
Frame pump
Proper base layer

Staypower

by Staypower

I should start fwith the fact, that I've bought a bike some month ago. Before that I had a long break in cycling, but yes, I'm so happy with my return back in riding.
But I've already got some nice accessorises for my new friend. Firstly, LED bike wheel lights, I just ordered them from Amazon. Secondly, I decided it's good idea to have a saddle bag, but I found it almost accidently, while I was searching for a small portable multitool for carrying with me while driving. I've found it in a source with the comparison of different tool kits for bike, so, maybe, it'll be useful for someone https://outdoorsly.org/best-bike-tool-kit/ (here it's 6th). Now I'm planning to buy spcial shoes for riding, but I'm not sure about it yet, any advice are welcomed.

jasonh

by jasonh

I’m gonna cheat because I can’t keep it to only three.
For my flat bar road bike mid eighties Italian steel.
1. Paul Components- Duplex brake lever
1a. If Paul thumbies
2. Brooks B-17 Imperial black saddle
3. Brooks leather grips, made of leather o-rings and aluminum matches the Paul lever.
3a. Spurcycle Bell. Friggin thing is simply awesome for urban and suburban riding. Plus my dogs are trained to it.
For the same bike, brought back to drop bars.
1. Soma Hwy One handlebars.
2. TRP SSL brake levers

jasonh

by jasonh

All seriousness:
1. Shimano Ultegra road pedals.
2. Heat moldable insoles.
3. Fizik Alliante VS saddles

I’ve ridden only Look pedals since the 1980’s. The Ultegra pedals I bought in May are just so much better. I can’t believe it.
I haven’t ridden a modern “lightweight” road saddle comfortably for as long as I have with Alliantes. They’re good enough so I don’t have to install a big Brooks saddle on a modern carbon fiber bike.
Heat moldable insoles have made a massive improvement in comfort and longevity.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

jasonh wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 am
I’ve ridden only Look pedals since the 1980’s. The Ultegra pedals I bought in May are just so much better. I can’t believe it.
What are the latest Look pedals you had, and why are Ultegra pedals so much better?

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Replaced stock insoles in all my cycling shoes.
Carry a mini air pump instead of co2
Thermal bib shorts. Never freeze my buns any more.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

1. Selle San Marco Regal saddle.
2. Time XPro pedals.
3. Silca Stainless Steel Presta Chuck for my 25 year old Silca floor pump.

kode54

by kode54

Too many items to list...but the things that I use every day on my rides...

1. Garmin 810...like the size and after replacing battery, hasn't crapped out yet
2. Lupine Neo front light paired with Lupine Rear light...great combo and lasts
3. Arundel Mandible carbon cages...have them on all my bikes
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

robertbb

by robertbb

Wingnut wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I've still got the brass one on mine. Any real reason to upgrade to the Stainless Steel one? What changed?

HShimada

by HShimada

Specialized Element Gloves.
I used to have insulated super thick / puffy winter gloves. They were fine until I sweat. No matter how much airflow the gloves allow, my hands sweat.
Once my hands are wet, they get ICE COLD immediately even with super insulated heavy duty gloves.
I gave the Element Gloves a shot. They have "wind stopping" which helps so much in the cold. More than insulation to my surprise. Even if my hands are sweaty, I feel no windblow on them. The only cold you feel is super slow building. i.e. 4 hours of riding in 30-40 degrees. First 2 hours I didn't even feel a thing despite chilling temps.

Bonus is they are TINY. Not bulky like other winter gloves.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

robertbb wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:57 am
Wingnut wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I've still got the brass one on mine. Any real reason to upgrade to the Stainless Steel one? What changed?
I still have the old brass chuck somewhere but I was too lazy to work out which rubber grommet size was needed to replace the old one...😞

Note: Jeez that took me a while 2 minutes to work out which one...Silca 323 chuck gasket.

Etienne

by Etienne

Well, in more than 20 years of cycling, I'd say :

> Speedplay pedals, 15 years ago. They are not for everyone, I agree with that but perfect for me

> carbon soled shoes .... going to very stiff soles solved most of my knee problem, probably by stabilising the feet and legs :idea:

> Rotor rings. I tried to go back to round rings a few weeks ago, but no way to get rid of oval rings :mrgreen:

So mostly around power transmission ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com