Is the Kalloy Uno stem the holy grail of WW?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got my spacers from Torontocycles. They are perfectly matched to the Uno. But it looks like Torontocycles is now closed due to Covid. These spacers are called Point One Racing Nano spacers. Machined aluminum.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/headset.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:28 pm
24mm. Not even close to 9.2mm.
Bummer. So, what mounts are folks using for these? Handlebar mount is so 2014.
Tillquist mount is 10 grams with 2 bolts http://edge-mount.bike/?product=mount-9-2
This looks like an anchor www.f3cycling.com/formmount
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

callemacody

by callemacody

Searching for Uno 7 oon ebay i get so many results, but most of them look like fake, and looking at the weight they inform of, its not the real deal. How do i actually find a stem closer to 100g rather than 130g.

bilwit

by bilwit

callemacody wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 am
Searching for Uno 7 oon ebay i get so many results, but most of them look like fake, and looking at the weight they inform of, its not the real deal. How do i actually find a stem closer to 100g rather than 130g.
https://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-k ... alth-stem/

make sure you select the Ti bolts

callemacody

by callemacody

bilwit wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:43 pm
callemacody wrote:
https://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-k ... alth-stem/

make sure you select the Ti bolts
So expensive shipping to Norway :(, correction, they dont even ship to Norway :P

Attermann

by Attermann

what size do you need?

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

callemacody wrote:
Have a look at Wren Stems

https://wrensports.com/product/crazy-li ... inum-stem/

120mm @ 101g

Sometimes get them cheaper on fleabay

They posted to NZ and cost was okay, can't remember amount...but didn't freak me out so can't have been too expensive
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I recently ordered a Procraft PRC ST2 stem from R2. My Kalloy UNO 90mm (7 degree) stem with the normal steel bolts is 101g. The Procraft PRC ST2 90mm 6 degree stem is 91g with the stock bolts.

I'm just a bit hestitant to run the Procraft stem because of the M4 bolts.

The Procraft stem is quite affordable (around 50EU).

tepextate

by tepextate

Anybody have a lead on spacers that look good with the Kalloy Uno?

I know Toronto Cycles sold some, but they seem to be closed up these days.

ertech

by ertech

there is a piece of the puzzle I do not get.
if a company is able to sell a super light stem for under 30$ , why can the big company do the same like specialized, cannondale etc...?
is there a safety concern with the cheap priced light ones?
thanks

blaugrana

by blaugrana

They could if they wanted to. That's the reason why every manufacturer equips their own bikes with their own brand of components these days (as opposed to having Deda, 3T, etc.), because it probably costs them peanuts.

ertech

by ertech

sorry what I was trying to say.
why do alum stems from 3t,DEDA....are not as lite as the uno?why they keep them in the 150 to 200G weight when they can manufacture them like UNo?
does making that like make it unsafe in any way?
thanks

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A lighter stem is going to be less 'safe' than a heavier stem, plain and simple. A bicycle manufacturer doesn't know the weight of the rider so they tend to error on the side of being conservative. They don't want a rider to get injured as that would be bad publicity not to mention the risk of an injury lawsuit. The other thing is the intended use. They cannot foresee how the bike will be used, as in what kind of road condition the bike will be used in. Some examples of conditions that may affect reliability are riding on cobblestones and doing maximum sprint efforts. So in a nutshell, if you are a lighter weight rider and don't ride on cobblestones the Uno is going to be OK. But if you are rough on your components then perhaps the Uno is not the best choice.

micky

by micky

CO stands for Colorado?
I didnt know there were so many cobblestones roads in Colorado.

kman

by kman

Thread dig....

Have these gained weight over the least few years? All the ones I'm seeing on Ali or eBay are 130g+ for 100, not 110g
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com