Safety Camera Setup Recommendations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

lazypete

by lazypete

Dear knowledgeable weight weenies,

I'm after some advice on an effective and economical safety camera Setup.

I'm not sure whether a helmet or bars mounted camera is preferable in terms of capturing usable footage - your experience would be valued.

Also need a setup that's quick to detach and allows simultaneous lights - I currently use an eBay front light (remote battery as 1 hour plus commute each way on dark roads) with a Garmin replacement 1/4 turn mount screwed into it so I can pop it underneath my actual Garmin. Something that worked with that sort of system would be great (if bar mount best). For rear I'm trying to work out a way to use the fizik ICS mount system in a similar way.

If helmet mounts are a good idea how does one attach so it doesn't leave your head either off balance or catching the wind ?

Finally some recommendations of actual recent cameras would be awesome. Open to camera light combos I suppose, but need a long battery life option.

Cheers,

Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jlok

by jlok

Yea Cycliq is the only product that satisfy your requirements. I find the front light spread too high and easily disturb the opposite drivers/cyclists. Wish it had a Stvzo spec front light.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

mentok

by mentok

I only run a camera on my commuter because it's the only time I'm riding on busy roads in peak hour (on the weekends it's early and I don't normally have any issues). Because of this, I decided the best way to get lights + camera + out in front garmin would be to mount the light low on the front brake boss, and to avoid issues of light run time I converted to a dynamo setup. You could possibly do something similar - not necessarily go dynamo, but you could look at that style of mount. Supernova do these schmick mounts that go in your brake boss mounts (if you run discs) https://www.bike24.com/p217489.html suitable for supernova and B+M lights, but you could possibly find something similar for different light brands. They do supernova <-> gopro adaptors, but then you're going to end up with adaptors on adaptors on adaptors and the whole thing will be too flexy and fragile. There are other mounts that slip in behind the front brake on the fork if you run rim brakes, but again I'm not sure if you can get them for brands other than supernova / B+M, you'd have to investigate.

For camera I have a Shimano CM1000 which is not particularly impressive, but it does have a gopro mount adaptor so I can run it on the underside of my garmin + gopro out in front mount. The installation and removal is quick and easy because the gopro adaptor means that I don't have to undo and do up the gopro screw every time, I just clip it in and out of the adaptor. This is a pretty quick way to get the camera on and off.

WRT the cycliq stuff, I'm on my 2nd Fly6 CE. First one went back due to warranty (it was continually rejecting SD cards despite the fact that they met the advertised specs, and the light would crash, shutting off mid-ride and requiring the SD card to be removed and formatted in a computer before the camera would operate again). The 2nd one has shut down and refused to power up due to moisture ingress (the inside was all fogged up). After drying it worked ok again, but I need to warranty it because I imagine it's only a matter of time before it dies again. I haven't been particularly impressed by their reliabilty, but when the fly6ce works it has worked really well. I'm not saying don't gt a Cycliq device because there aren't a whole heap of devices in that exact niche, just be wary that they aren't perfect.

dim

by dim

mentok wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am
I only run a camera on my commuter because it's the only time I'm riding on busy roads in peak hour (on the weekends it's early and I don't normally have any issues). Because of this, I decided the best way to get lights + camera + out in front garmin would be to mount the light low on the front brake boss, and to avoid issues of light run time I converted to a dynamo setup. You could possibly do something similar - not necessarily go dynamo, but you could look at that style of mount. Supernova do these schmick mounts that go in your brake boss mounts (if you run discs) https://www.bike24.com/p217489.html suitable for supernova and B+M lights, but you could possibly find something similar for different light brands. They do supernova <-> gopro adaptors, but then you're going to end up with adaptors on adaptors on adaptors and the whole thing will be too flexy and fragile. There are other mounts that slip in behind the front brake on the fork if you run rim brakes, but again I'm not sure if you can get them for brands other than supernova / B+M, you'd have to investigate.

For camera I have a Shimano CM1000 which is not particularly impressive, but it does have a gopro mount adaptor so I can run it on the underside of my garmin + gopro out in front mount. The installation and removal is quick and easy because the gopro adaptor means that I don't have to undo and do up the gopro screw every time, I just clip it in and out of the adaptor. This is a pretty quick way to get the camera on and off.

WRT the cycliq stuff, I'm on my 2nd Fly6 CE. First one went back due to warranty (it was continually rejecting SD cards despite the fact that they met the advertised specs, and the light would crash, shutting off mid-ride and requiring the SD card to be removed and formatted in a computer before the camera would operate again). The 2nd one has shut down and refused to power up due to moisture ingress (the inside was all fogged up). After drying it worked ok again, but I need to warranty it because I imagine it's only a matter of time before it dies again. I haven't been particularly impressed by their reliabilty, but when the fly6ce works it has worked really well. I'm not saying don't gt a Cycliq device because there aren't a whole heap of devices in that exact niche, just be wary that they aren't perfect.
I have the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 as my front camera, and the Cycliq Fly 6 (1st edition), as my rear camera. Both cameras have to use an SD card that works with the unit, so it's always best to check with the supplier as to what works and what does not.

My Cycliq camera came with an SD card and has worked flawlessly from day 1. My Garmin never came with a card, and I ended up spending close to £100 for a 128GB (I think it's a 128GB) SD card, but it's one that was approved by Garmin

only drawback with the rear camera is that I don't have mudguards, and when the road is wet, the lens get dirty from mud
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

lazypete

by lazypete

Thanks everyone, sounds like bar mounted is the preferred option, and cycliq the only real option of note. Hoped I might get a cheap, acceptable quality Chinese / eBay recommendation !

Anyone comment on the quality / durability of the Cycliq front for fast out of town dark road riding ?

sychen

by sychen

I've have a fly12 g1 and fly 6 g2 for awhile now..

Jack of all trades master of none.. I do supplement with a bontrager ion 200 on really dark winter mornings.

My g1 fly6 died and warrenty didn't cover it.. Just out side of window.

So far no issues with these ones running over a year in rain, hail or shine.

It's on for every ride.. Either for the dark or as daytime running light.

No issues lasting a 4-5 hr ride on weekends.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The ultimate is actually a Virb360 mounted on top of your helmet.. if your commute is sub 50min or so minutes you are good. Trust me it will see everything.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com