Poaching mass-start events, NOT races

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^^ @spud’s situation is really the only scenario where I think it is ok to find yourself in an organized ride (unknowingly and by coincidence), without paying the registration, even if it is sold out. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of work and support that goes into these things. To knowingly “pirate” a ride like that is terribly poor form. You’ve got 364 other days of the year you can do the same route, and you choose to do it the day of such a ride? Why?... even though you may not take their food, fill up your water bottles with their water, or use their porta potties (yes, you’d better not use their porta potties either), why would you choose that day? To ride with others most likely, or maybe you just want to flex your riding superiority over all those newbies. I don’t know, but pay the damn registration or do it another day. RAMROD (Ride Around Mount Rainer in One Day) is a great example of one of the premier rides in our state, which the Park has limited to I think 700 riders now. There is a lottery to get in. But if you don’t get in and really want to do it, you can sign up as a volunteer support person which guarantees you a spot as a rider the following year. Pretty good idea. So, if you think you want to do one of these rides on the day of the event versus any other day of the year, then please, sign up early and pay the registration fee.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Almost every day I ride some various combination of roads in the area where I live. A few times a year many of these roads are closed to traffic and there seemed to be a lot of other riders that I don't recognize and the odd famous one that I do. It's nice to have marshals blocking traffic at intersections for me. I always thank them. What I don't understand is why so many people are cheering me on when I am just out for my usual training ride. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.