bike transport logistics L'Etape 2019

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ylwgto

by ylwgto

Hi all,

Any past L'Etape riders out there?? I'm looking for info related to the best methods of bike transport to and from Europe (I'm in US), specifically to France for the 2019 Etape.

I'm very familiar with packing and shipping bikes to send to Europe...have sold many bikes to buyers overseas and USPS (via 2 boxes) is always the cheapest.

How does this compare to airline travel fees for a hard case?

What I am not familiar with is how to get it shipped back to the US from Europe. Any idea what carrier to use? What the size restrictions are? Customs issues? Estimated costs?

I'd love to ride my bike for the sportif, but if it is more economal and less risky to just rent a bike in Albertville (or Geneva) I am open to suggestions of a way to do this as well.

Thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

Hello,

I haven't done the L'Etape, but I live in Geneva, so if you need help with the logistics here, I would volunteer. Renting bikes in Switzerland is possible, but not cheap, and quickly booked out around these kinds of events. In Geneva, Bike Switzerland is arguably https://www.bikeswitzerlandrentals.com/, but I was quoted around 800 CHF for a week around a triathlon event ...

GaBa

by GaBa

Cannot help with the logistics part unflrtunately but would like to point out that you should also consider bike fit when deciding whether to rent or transport your own bike. I am sensitive when it comes to fit amd would therefore always take my own bike. Saving some $ is not worth risking any discomfort or even injury. Just a thought, hope it helps.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Where are you coming from, the US? If you fly Swiss and get a normal piece of luggage they let you switch it to a bike for free. You just have to notify them once you’ve made your booking that you’re doing so.

If you want to rent something, there’s options in Geneva and Annecy but unlikely to find anything in Albertville. As mentioned, if you have an odd fit you should prob just bring your own bike. Mine isn’t too odd and I often just hire when on holiday as carting a whole family around with bikes for me and the wife can get a bit ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk