What is Trek launching?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

guyc wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 am
I've a Trenta 3k - stellar helmet and very little overall profile.

The Aether is a slightly better fit on me though.

Yep, I have an Aether and it fits pretty well. The Trenta might fit me ever so slightly better.

guyc

by guyc

Both bloody good though eh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I've done a few rides on the Trek Ballista now and even though it's a little bit heavier than my old Giro, it feels lighter on my head. I can actually tell it's more slippery through the air and making less pressure against my head. It's especially noticable when there is a 10+ mph head wind.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 pm
I've done a few rides on the Trek Ballista now and even though it's a little bit heavier than my old Giro, it feels lighter on my head. I can actually tell it's more slippery through the air and making less pressure against my head. It's especially noticable when there is a 10+ mph head wind.
you can feel that it's more aero?
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AJS914

by AJS914

Yes, as I said it feels lighter on my head especially with a head wind.

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:Yes, as I said it feels lighter on my head especially with a head wind.
100% placebo effect.
1) the aero is not marked as any advantage in the bongrager coms. You can trust the market guys. They would have made a xx% gain claim if they had a fraction of a start of a weak ground to made this statement.
2) to have run enough test with power meters and all kind of riders in a scientific way -srm science, all variable controlled- nobody is able to feel the drag difference between two helmets. At best the wind noise is felt as a factor of speed by people.

Edit: my bad, thought you were talking about a wave cell helmet... this being said still not possible to “feel” the aero difference

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRich

by TheRich

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 pm
The first ride with mine seemed to have less turbulence (less varying wind noise) than a Synthe.

Back to the overpriced thing, a Ballista is $200 retail, vs a $275 Vanquish. (Although you don't get the visor that you're afraid to be seen in public with)
C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:09 pm
100% placebo effect.
1) the aero is not marked as any advantage in the bongrager coms. You can trust the market guys. They would have made a xx% gain claim if they had a fraction of a start of a weak ground to made this statement.
2) to have run enough test with power meters and all kind of riders in a scientific way -srm science, all variable controlled- nobody is able to feel the drag difference between two helmets. At best the wind noise is felt as a factor of speed by people.

Say what?
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... t/p/21821/
Ultimate aero road bike helmet with wind-tunnel proven design and the added protection of MIPS.

C36

by C36

TheRich wrote: Say what?
Ultimate aero road bike helmet with wind-tunnel proven design and the added protection of MIPS.
Talking the wave cell helmets not the mips. Unless I missed it nowhere they mention that it is as aero or more aero than conventional ones.

AJS914

by AJS914

C36, I think you are wrong. The Ballista is definitely advertised as an aero helmet by Trek. The Ballista ranks highly in most tests online I've seen. Sure, aero helmets are no miracle but they are worth 5 or 10 watts at higher speeds. Velonews said they are worth about 1/3 the watts savings of an aero wheelset.

And Jens Voigt rode the Ballista during his hour record:

Last edited by AJS914 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilwit

by bilwit

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm
I don't trust MIPS to do the research showing that the competition is wrong. I read the Trek study and I'm also not convinced how a 1/2" layer of wavecell plastic and prevent 99% of concusions. I would be glad to be wrong but it just doesn't make sense that if a head of falling from 2 meters up to the ground that the small bit of shock absorption would prevent concussions to such a high degree.

I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope on safety but I really don't trust the licensers of competing technologies to do the research telling us which one works the best.

Also, I'm a bit dissapointed in Trek for going up-market ($150-$300 for a Wavecel helmet). This piece of plastic probably costs less than a $1 to manufacture in quantity. They should have discontinued every single one of their traditional EPS helmets and put Wavecel into everything.

Shouldn't a $35 Trek kid's helmet have Wavecel if it's so awesome?
I think both sides have been pretty conciliatory toward eachother, MIPS just seems to take issue with the ludicruous marketing claims like "99% of all concussions in common cycling accidents." Rightly so in my eyes, that's a completely ridiculous and unsubstantiated thing to claim when something like that is not even quantifiable to begin with.
"MIPS’ position on evaluating the possibility of a concussion resulting from a crash is that it is a highly variable event and unique to the individual impact and rider physiology. No two crashes are the same and no two people are the same, so the risk of concussion is a near-impossible claim to make. However, rotational motion itself can be measured objectively, so that is the metric MIPS can actually report and address."

TheRich

by TheRich

C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 pm
Talking the wave cell helmets not the mips. Unless I missed it nowhere they mention that it is as aero or more aero than conventional ones.

He was talking about a Ballista, not a XXX.

No, they don't claim it's more aero and actually say it's heavier, the point of WaveCell is safety.

ooo

by ooo

'

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have heard the XXX is pretty much on par with the Ballista.

TheRich

by TheRich

Fisherfreerider wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm
I have heard the XXX is pretty much on par with the Ballista.
If it was just as good as a Ballista, they'd say it.

"Almost," which is the word I think the Trek video used, can do a lot of work if you want it to.

C36

by C36

TheRich wrote:
C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 pm

He was talking about a Ballista, not a XXX.

No, they don't claim it's more aero and actually say it's heavier, the point of WaveCell is safety.
Indeed never assume... thought we were just talking about the wave cell models.
The safety factor, if real, is great, the weight not so much (even if the fit is the main comfort parameter), and aero remain to be confirmed. At the light of future tests i am curious how Trek marketing “loud silence” will sound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com