The looks of large size bikes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Does anybody else find it that smaller size bikes (of any make) look better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Actually I think bikes towards the middle of the range more often look perfect. Bikes in the smallest sizes often look just as weird as very large bikes. The smallest bikes usually don't have enough saddle to bar drop to look right.

It all comes down to proportions - how much seatpost is showing, how far back the saddle is, the length of the stem, and the saddle to bar drop.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

In fact, yes, you are right. To put it in numbers, 52 to 56 looks great to me, above and below (but above in particular) it looks awkward.

benzebub

by benzebub

54 and 56 look perfect most of the time.
I, myself, suffer from having to buy large bikes with endurance geometry (wrong body proportions) and most bikes in my size are very ugly with headtubes spanning from 20 to 22cm.

It really should be an aftertought if the bike fits right but those tall headtubes really can ruin the looks of a bike for me.
But I could be wrong

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

depends on a frame. older designs looked pretty silly below - say - 56. take Trek's oclv bikes from the 'era', or all the lugged bikes, like LOOK. today bikes are built and designed in a whole different way, with head tube 'melted' visually into a frame. plus all the pieces, that used to stand out, come integrated to create one neat shape, so even the smallest size of any given aero bikes looks decent.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

TLN

by TLN

I find quite the opposite. Most of small bikes will have sloped top tube. Big bikes like 58 and 60 will have horizontal top tube. Look at Madone for example or system six. I also like the looks with beefier deep-section wheels - it looks more "natural to me"
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

To me, size 50-54 are the best looking bikes.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

I ride a 61cm and have struggled to find bikes that are asethetically on point.

I ride a BMC TeamMachine and feel that the top tube looks best in that size.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Depends if they have a tall headtube or a racing one. With a racy headtube and nearly flat top tube I think 58s look best.

AJS914

by AJS914

For me the slope of the top tube makes a big difference asethetically. I don't like severely sloping top tubes. I had a Parlee Z4 with a steep slope and it just never looked as good as my Colnago C59 with it's gently sloping top tube.

The combination of tall headtube and steeply sloping top tube even looks weirder.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I generally ride 61 or XL. When looking for a new bike, I usually look to see how bad the gigantor size looks before purchasing.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

If everyone wasn't asking for tall headtubes these days it wouldn't be a problem. It's too bad that people who want tall bars have decided that long headtubes look better than upright stems and headset spacers. Here's a tip, they all look bad. No one is fooled into thinking that your handlebar isn't the same height as your saddle. But now the frame is ruined for anyone who wants a road bike position.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Slightly OT…

Many, many years ago I was out on a ride with a couple of friends. I’m on a 53 cm Pinarello and they’re on a Bianchi and Atala (?), both 55 cm or so.

We’re having a post-ride beer when one of my friends turns to me and says “Gee, Nico, what’s your bike gonna be when it grows up?”

Apparently I’m still not over it …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ManekiNico wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm
Apparently I’m still not over it …
Ok, that's funny. Like my buddy who always says, whenever I get a nice new piece of clothing kit,... "That's nice, does it come in a Men's version".

I think the answer to this OP's topic is "it depends", like so many things. I am super happy with how my builds have turned out looks wise, and they're in the 59-62 range (Traditional Colnagos) and 60cm in Trek sizing (I'd take a 58 in a Specialized for reference). I find that with the larger tubes of bikes today, the larger sizes actually often look better and more proportional than the small frames, especially when you throw in higher profile wheels. Sloping frames are a mixed bag. But it's hard to maintain some adjustability in a small size frame without a sloping top tube, and limited sizing, and people want a certain "look", depending on trends. So you have to build wisely. It just really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from size to size within the same model from the same manufacturer. I've seen some super small road bikes with thick tubes and sloping top tube designs, that if you were to slap some wide tires and disc brakes on them... oh wait :) ... well... they'd be mistaken for rigid mountain bikes with drop bars. At the other end of the spectrum, larger frames can be even more difficult to get the "aesthetic" just right, and the proverbial farm gate comes to mind. At the end of the day, I've seen great looking builds in all sizes. I don't think any one size has a lock on good looks, cuz it depends.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com