Indoor training

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I am using a first gen Kickr via Bluetooth to my Apple TV to run zwift. When I use my sanyo Bluetooth headphones it causes signal interference at least once an hour. The headphones make the trainer lock up for a second and the watts spike really high.

Wahoo wouldn’t make any suggestions for headphones but said they had good luck with apple AirPods. Before I pay 200$ for headphones does anyone else successfully use Bluetooth headphones with a similar setup?

I am currently using wired headphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

I've got some cheap Mpow headphones from amazon and also a pair of aftershokz bone conduction headphones that I use with no problems. I don't use apple tv but I run my cadence sensor, KICKR Core, HRM all using bluetooth running TR on a Macair. Sometimes my phone is in the mix too on bluetooth or paired with the headphones. Never seen a problem of any kind.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

According to wahoo it is a common problem. I asked on a zwift group ride today, and the suggestion was the bose sport headphones. I am going to keep looking around before I end up with the same problem.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The Anker sport headsets are pretty good. No issues with pairing or interference on Bluetooth or ANT+, and they're a lot cheaper than the Bose headsets (and they sound pretty good, too).

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Thanks I will check them out. I asked wahoo if Bluetooth 5.0 made a difference and they didn’t know. They said every environment is different and I will have to try. I need a new pair anyway, so I will try a different brand.

myano001

by myano001

I have the same Kickr and I use my air pods and my Jabra headphones via Bluetooth with no issues at all. I used my Bose wireless and plan to start using a cheap moon flame set soon. I don’t use it with Zwift but I do pair it with TR and not once have I had any problems. What version Apple TV do you have? Maybe I’ll try setting it up to test.

jih

by jih

Cheap mpow. Never had an issue running multiple ANT+ devices around the headphones. I wouldn’t get AirPods just to kill them with sweat.

jih

by jih

Another, low tech option would just be to get a headphone extension cable and tie it to your seatpost so that you can easily plug a wired headphone in and run it up your jersey like a race radio. I did this before I had Bluetooth headphones and I actually kind of miss the simplicity of that setup

SloRacer

by SloRacer

I am no doctor or anyone qualified to make a statement like this, but I don't think we should wear headphones while cycling, indoors.

A quick search on Google says bacteria in ears increase by 700 times if we wear headphones for an hour. And mix in sweat and body heat while on the trainer, I think it's a recipe for a bacterial infection.

Just my thoughts, maybe we could clean the ear later... But I wouldn't recommend it tho...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I have a 4th gen Apple TV. Wahoo said my problem was because there are too many Bluetooth connections in my environment. The Apple TV is connected to the kickr via Bluetooth, my phone is connected to the Apple TV via Bluetooth, and my headphones are connected to my phone via Bluetooth.

I got the tozo 5.0 Bluetooth headphones and the problem pretty much went away. But now very rarely my power will go to zero while pedaling. It is the opposite of before. It has only happened 3 times in a couple of weeks, I can live with that.

I was using wired headphones and after having Bluetooth for so long the wire was driving me crazy. I wish I could just turn up a speaker but my wife and kids would not like that at 530am lol