Bidon Cleaning Using Baby Bottle Sterilizer

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pocari123

by pocari123

Hi all,

Cleaning bidons have been the bane of my existence. Either there's still residue from my electrolyte before or I don't wash the soap out thoroughly. I could up my bidon washing game but I really don't want to.

Question is, anyone tried using a baby bottle sterilizer machine for bidons? I'd happily pay a bit of money to get my bidons properly cleaned and save myself a bit of trouble

Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Brezza-Bott ... B00MYRXSE2

Thanks all

moonoi

by moonoi

You still need to wash the bidons properly before using the sterilizer machine, so it's not really going to help you there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't understand why this is even a problem for some. Come home, rinse bottle and then put in dishwasher with cap open for next run. I've never had bottles develop an issue.

Marin

by Marin

The baby bottle sterilizer will just steam your bottles, but it won't clean them in any way.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

A dishwasher does a better job. I had one of those sterilizers and it was great for my new Norns. But it won’t help with your cycling bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

Yep, dishwasher.
Chasse patate

AJS914

by AJS914

Get a good bottle brush as well.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Gross solution to a non-existent problem. I have seen people over the years do all kinds of over the top things to achieve something so simple it baffles me. I don't even use a dishwasher for them because I found the larger ones I use don't fit on the top rack and on the bottom they get so hot that it warps/melts the top. I use them, rinse them in the sink, put 3-4 drops of detergent, fill with water, and leave there until I do dishes. Then, just give it a scrub with a good bottle brush. Nothing sticks or remains, and I have a couple of bottles that are nearing 2-3 years old! I will toss them soon for the sake of getting new ones, but not because they need to.

Marin

by Marin

Agreed, I just hand wash them and rinse thoroughly. And my bottles get super sticky, I just drink water with salt, but the feed bottles get filled with 500g Maltodextrin, Fructose and fruit syrup, and even that is no problem to wash out afterwards.

mattr

by mattr

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:17 am
Nothing sticks or remains, and I have a couple of bottles that are nearing 2-3 years old!
I've got some camelback podiums that i bought over 10 years ago that are still clean/useable. Just have to take the valve apart once a year. Clean them in the same way. Couple of times a year they get soaked in baby bottle sterilizer solution to get in all the nooks and crannies in the cap.

moonoi

by moonoi

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:17 am
Gross solution to a non-existent problem. I have seen people over the years do all kinds of over the top things to achieve something so simple it baffles me. I don't even use a dishwasher for them because I found the larger ones I use don't fit on the top rack and on the bottom they get so hot that it warps/melts the top. I use them, rinse them in the sink, put 3-4 drops of detergent, fill with water, and leave there until I do dishes. Then, just give it a scrub with a good bottle brush. Nothing sticks or remains, and I have a couple of bottles that are nearing 2-3 years old! I will toss them soon for the sake of getting new ones, but not because they need to.
This, only thing I find is I buy replacement bottles with the intention of throwing out the old ones, but then I continue using them and the new ones stay stored in the cupboard :lol: :roll:

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I find that the polar ones are way easier to clean than the camelback ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

afaik high temperatures are not a good thing for plastic bottles, I definitely wouldn't put mine in a dishwasher. I just rinse them good, brush a bit with some detergent and that's it. I used to just replace them after couple of months, but since that's not really eco, I just try to clean them up asap so there's no way anything can happen to them.. it's really basic bike science, kinda like wiping your butt (you don't ask about it on forums, do you now?)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

guyc

by guyc

I've always put mine in dishwashers - they seem fine. I tend to buy 3-4 new ones each year and they're hardly pricey anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I clean it with vinegar occasionally because the water around here is rather hard. No other special treatment.