Torque wrench options

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What are people using? My trusty Kincrome one died yesterday and the Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II Pro is very tempting....Image
Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get it! The Effetto Mariposa as you picture right there is my go to torque wrench for pretty much everything except high torque situations (bottom brackets and cassettes) and really small inch/lb kinds of screws. I have a set of Snap-On 1/4 inch bits as well which fit directly onto the wrench without the use of the little adaptor thing supplied. But that tool is really my favorite torque wrench for bikes that I’ve come across. The only thing about this wrench that is remotely negative is the scale reading which is getting harder and harder for me to see clearly as it’s very faint and small. But super durable and accurate (measured against my Snap-on digital wrench which is much bigger and more cumbersome and eats batteries for lunch). Nice wrap for storage and travels well. You won’t be disappointed, unless you don’t get it, because then it will just gnaw at you down the road that you didn’t and you’ll eventually get it anyway. You deserve it. It’s just a shade darker than pink.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Option 2 is the non ratcheting version and an ATD for similar $ImageImage
Using Tapatalk

Kumppa

by Kumppa

If you want best quality for money I would succest something non cycling related. Quality should be even better without that cycling related extra cost.

Ex. Wera Torque Wrench 7000 1-25Nm. Quality should be very good even it's cheaper model made in Taiwan. I don't believe Wera would manufacture any bad quality tools with their reputation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VqTN-Bf8qU

I have used Wurth 4-20 Nm for 5 years which was like 80€ and totally happy with that as I don't need less than 4 Nm. Of course you can go lower than that but scale start from 4 so not sure how accurate it would be.
Last edited by Kumppa on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wera make damn nice tools and I have a few but their torque wrench is actually more expensive than the Effeto unit through my accounts.
Using Tapatalk

gtinut

by gtinut

I use basic beam style wrench. It is nice to see building up.. a must for small bolts and carbon parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Have any cheaper wrenches worked out for you guys? I might splurge for silca but only if others have decent experience with them.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Well this is how my weekend went lolImage
Using Tapatalk

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

I ordered a Radon Torque Wrench 1/4" 2-24 Nm + 9-Piece selection and was pleasantly suprised by the quality.

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

myano001

by myano001

I love my silica set but also use the Pro set that was a bit cheaper. Haven’t noticed much of a difference between the various ones I’ve used over time.

octave

by octave

Nefarious86 wrote:What are people using? My trusty Kincrome one died yesterday and the Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II Pro is very tempting....Image
what is the difference between the standard giustaforza II and the giustaforza II pro model?

from what i gather the "pro" model had a ratcheting head, and the standard does not.

are there other differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catagory6

by Catagory6

2 beam style
80 nm max
8 nm max
4 nm fixed torque key

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

octave wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:28 pm
Nefarious86 wrote:What are people using? My trusty Kincrome one died yesterday and the Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II Pro is very tempting....Image
what is the difference between the standard giustaforza II and the giustaforza II pro model?

from what i gather the "pro" model had a ratcheting head, and the standard does not.

are there other differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the main difference, and maybe the wrap it comes with, or bit selection, but you'll appreciate the ratcheting head, particularly when torquing bolts that are at all hard to access or get the right angle on. I would go for the ratcheting head. It really is my favorite goto torque wrench for most things that apart from the big torque items like Bottom brackets and cassette locknuts etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ