Flask to keep coffee hot that fits in cage?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Anyone found something that does the job? Imagine it'd be quite hard to find one that stays put..

themidge

by themidge

I just found this 'flask' in the cupboard, I think my dad got it with a bike:
Trek 'soho' (their urban range some years ago)
It seems to fit in modern bottle cages better than old ones, but both feel fairly secure.
It has a top more like one of those portable reusable coffee cups than a bidon, so drinking on the move is a bit more involved.

Something to look out for which isn't strictly speaking a flask, but will keep your desired liquids warm (or stop them freezing), is Camelbak's insulated bottle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@themidge: I’ve just spent 5 minutes rummaging through my stuff looking for that exact flask. Haven’t used it in years. It sat too high and with the metal on metal cages it was too clangy. But that’s the first thing that came to mind when I saw @Shrike’s post. I gave up looking since you posted it. But it does make me wonder where mine ended up. I did have it with me when I did my own tour from Land’s End to John o’Groats years ago. Come to think of it, last I remember seeing it was one fun filled night of dancing and debauchery in some middle of nowhere Scottish pub in The Highlands. The barmaid kept filling it with whiskey. Midge, did your mother ever work as a barmaid... never mind.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:35 pm
..The barmaid kept filling it with whiskey. Midge, did your mother ever work as a barmaid... never mind.
:lol:

I've never used the flask, so I don't know about rattling, though I can see that it might do that despite the rubber bit.

OP, did some intensive googling and found this bottle. Looks like it's designed to fit a bottle cage.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Elite Deboyo Ombra!

I havent got one but its the one I plan to buy. And hopefully with the peace of mind that it will work well with the elite cages I already have.

Otherwise, if you want to save some money, take a bottle cage round the shops and try a few different brands
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AJS914

by AJS914

I wouldn't want a big, heavy stainless bottle on my bike. I'd just get a Camelback Podium bottle or other insulated bottle.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm
I wouldn't want a big, heavy stainless bottle on my bike. I'd just get a Camelback Podium bottle or other insulated bottle.
I don't like big heavy overshoes, so I'll just let my feet freeze. I don't like big heavy tights or heavy jackets either, so I'll just get hypothermic. Come on! :P

If you want a hot drink there's no substitute for a metal vacuum thermos. The Elite Deboyo is literally the single best winter cycling purchase I have ever made, and frankly the weight penalty is so small it'll get lost in the static of all the other extra weight of kit you put on to go training when it's that cold.

It even comes with a vacuum lid as well as a cycling lid so it can double as your 'normal life' thermos and bike ride thermos.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I used to have a Primus vacuum bottle that was a good fit for the cage. Maybe check those.

AJS914

by AJS914

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 pm
I don't like big heavy overshoes, so I'll just let my feet freeze. I don't like big heavy tights or heavy jackets either, so I'll just get hypothermic. Come on! :P
Geez, I never suggested freezing your balls off or anything. Using an insulated plastic water bottle is a reasonable approach.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Reasonable, unless you actually want your hot drink to stay hot. First you're not even supposed to put boiling water in a plastic bottle, and if you do it'll be down to 50 degrees in an hour if it's cold enough out. Put boiling water in the Deboyo and 2 hours later it'll still be around 85 degrees.

There's no comparison between the two in how well they do the job you bought them for. Let alone being in the same ballpark, they're not even playing the same sport.

IchDien

by IchDien

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am
2 hours later it'll still be around 85 degrees
Just how hot do you drink your tea lol?! The pain threshold of the tongue is around 47°C...

I wholeheartedly agree a metal container makes more sense though :lol:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Hehe yeah so not quite that hot. :P But obvs the brewing process drops a lot of heat out, adding milk etc so you're starting off a lot lower down the curve. Then each time you drink and some hot fluid is replaced by cold air it'll step down further.

Bottom line with the Deboyo I can ride for over an hour and the first drink will be right on that almost too hot threshold, and it's amazing. Then drinking the rest over the next hour it'll be still decently warm by the end. With plastic you'll be close to lukewarm at the first drink, and you might as well just down the whole thing then 'cos it'll be stone cold for the rest of the ride.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Would it work for mulled wine at Christmas? Asking for a friend.

themidge

by themidge

^
:noidea:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

RTW wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:05 pm
Would it work for mulled wine at Christmas? Asking for a friend.
Remind me to check in 11 months.

#bestideaever

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com