Visiting Rio: Rentals, LBS, must rides?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

I'll be visiting Rio de Janeiro for work, but have one day off to explore. I'd like to rent a road bike, and get some riding in. Also, would love to visit a well-known bike shop and pick up some local kit if possible. I'm bringing shoes, helmet, and kit, so just need the bike.

If anyone has any referrals, would be much appreciated. If you're a local or have ridden in Rio before, please let me know how your experience has been!
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

If you are staying in the south part of the city (Ipanema, Copacabana, etc), call 3Shop: despite the tri-name, they have a nice selection of road bikes. If you are staying in Barra da Tijuca, Renato Estrella is a premium specialized shop (largest in Rio). Not sure if they have bikes to rent, but can help you sort something out... Try their FB pages... They should reply soon.

Bastarda Cafe is a cycling focused coffee shop, right at the bottom of one the most iconic cycling routes here (Vista Chinesa).

Plenty of options around. DM me if you need some more specific info.

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Andre, thank you for all the info. I will be staying in Barra de Tijuca. My main focus is finding a rental, and either finding a guide to ride with, or a group ride that maybe knows a bit of english to facilitate my lack of Brazilian Portugese :) I'm a new member, so I do not have DMs enabled yet; I'll email you instead.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Bumping this topic up again as I'll be returning to RDJ in July. Bastarda was a cool visit, and glad I had a chance to pick up a jersey, but unfortunately Cyclin Rio stopped doing road bike rentals. 3Shop nor Renato Estrella do rentals. So, I'm going to be looking for rentals again. Would appreciate any help!