Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

ichobi

by ichobi

When you have decided all your bikes will be disc going forward, it makes no business sense to make any bike with rim brake. (specialized) whether it's good for performance or the customer is another matter entirely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Jugi

by Jugi

kgt wrote:Considering pros and discs, the most ridiculous thing is that some teams choose to put discs on their tt bikes. They just add weight and increase aero drag for absolutely no reason at all (other than marketing of course).
Giro's last stage was won on a disc brake bike. The route was very technical, I think because of that Chad Haga might have had an advantage over some of his rivals.

C36

by C36

LeDuke wrote:
Watch his P-R crash on YouTube, and then note that no one from either of the two teams on disc brakes that day were involved in the crash.

If no one on a disc brake bike was anywhere near him when he crashed, yet he still came up bleeding, I’d call that evidence that a disc rotor didn’t cause his injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are drifting more and more from initial topic but for what it is worth: On an interview he claimed there was blood all over his leg, shoes and the disc that cut him.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

TheRich

by TheRich

kgt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:17 pm
Considering pros and discs, the most ridiculous thing is that some teams choose to put discs on their tt bikes. They just add weight and increase aero drag for absolutely no reason at all (other than marketing of course).
Have you seen the new Shiv?

Moving the fork legs away from the wheel allows cleaner airflow, which is something you can't do with rim brakes.

TheRich

by TheRich

ichobi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm
When you have decided all your bikes will be disc going forward, it makes no business sense to make any bike with rim brake. (specialized) whether it's good for performance or the customer is another matter entirely.

A decision made because of customer demand, btw.

Unless you're going to suggest that they purposely sabotage their own sales.

ichobi

by ichobi

I have no information either way so I am not arguing for or against. Simply that it makes business sense for them and clearly they are selling well. I don't doubt Specialized's recent model performance either.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:19 pm
kgt wrote:
Considering pros and discs, the most ridiculous thing is that some teams choose to put discs on their tt bikes. They just add weight and increase aero drag for absolutely no reason at all (other than marketing of course).

Moving the fork legs away from the wheel allows cleaner airflow, which is something you can't do with rim brakes.

Also the effective yaw angles at TT speeds are quite low and the air toward the center of a wheel has been finely chopped by spokes. The difference between rim and disc aerodynamically when all else is equal...minimal.

Calnago

by Calnago

TheRich wrote:
ichobi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm

A decision made because of customer demand, btw.

Unless you're going to suggest that they purposely sabotage their own sales.
The whole “customer demand” spin is hugely arguable, at least for the high end road bike market. Manufacturers have been pushing discs for years, and in the absence of natural adoption they are taking away the choice. It’s hard for a new customer to walk into a shop and buy something that isn’t there. I get it. I don’t like it, but I get it. It’s a business thing, along the ethos of “innovate or die”. Without new product in a market where consumers are content with what they have, then growth is tough. Forced obsolescence is nothing new, but it’s not always as much of a benefit to the consumer as it is to the bottom line. It’s simply a lot more profitable to support as few platforms as possible. And they’re not “shrinking” the market by taking away a platform. They are simply forcing those who want to play down a certain path. That’s progress I guess.
Oh well, and I know this scenario is getting old too, but these three guys seemed to do ok in this little race in Italy that just finished... with lowly rim brakes no less. Soon they too will be forced to use what the sponsors want to see them on, I’m sure. But in the meantime, they sure don’t seem to be switching very willingly....

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

zefs

by zefs

They probably hate brake rub when riding out of the saddle :)

kgt

by kgt

Jugi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:30 pm
kgt wrote:Considering pros and discs, the most ridiculous thing is that some teams choose to put discs on their tt bikes. They just add weight and increase aero drag for absolutely no reason at all (other than marketing of course).
Giro's last stage was won on a disc brake bike. The route was very technical, I think because of that Chad Haga might have had an advantage over some of his rivals.
And the Giro's top three riders were all on rim brakes. Some routes were very technical, I think because of that they might have had an advantage over some of their rivals.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Neither side needs justification based on what pros ride. Hope this helps.

kgt

by kgt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 pm
TheRich wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:19 pm
kgt wrote:
Also the effective yaw angles at TT speeds are quite low and the air toward the center of a wheel has been finely chopped by spokes. The difference between rim and disc aerodynamically when all else is equal...minimal.
It is not a coincidence that the new Shiv is a disc model since Specialized is one of the companies that pushes discs a lot. And when we are talking about tt bikes those minimal gains actually matter. In any case a new Shiv with integrated rim brakes could obviously have less drag.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

If it's so obvious please prove it

Calnago

by Calnago

TobinHatesYou wrote:Neither side needs justification based on what pros ride. Hope this helps.
In order to justify sponsoring pro teams etc., the pros had better be riding (come hell or highwater) what the manufacturers are wanting to sell. That’s the sole reason manufacturers sponsor in the first place. The pro peloton is cyclings biggest marketing stage. The fact that there is so much resistance at the pro level (at least by those who still have a choice) is a big thorn in the side of the marketing departments. Fanboys of discs at the consumer level like to pretend it doesn’t matter what the pros ride, but watch them jump up and down with glee whenever someone actually does win with discs. Comical.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

TheRich

by TheRich

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:31 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:Neither side needs justification based on what pros ride. Hope this helps.
In order to justify sponsoring pro teams etc., the pros had better be riding (come hell or highwater) what the manufacturers are wanting to sell. That’s the sole reason manufacturers sponsor in the first place. The pro peloton is cyclings biggest marketing stage. The fact that there is so much resistance at the pro level (at least by those who still have a choice) is a big thorn in the side of the marketing departments. Fanboys of discs at the consumer level like to pretend it doesn’t matter what the pros ride, but watch them jump up and down with glee whenever someone actually does win with discs. Comical.
Pros do not make the best choices by default, many are very resistant to change..like when the World Cup mountain bikers held onto 26" wheels when everyone should have known that 29ers were faster.