Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

roseyscot

by roseyscot

Nice shower! I guess it's hydraulic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

C36 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:There’s 3 professional opinions: in favor, indifferent, not in favor.

Indifference is where most pros are. In favor is second biggest at this point. The number of pros that don’t want disc brakes in the peloton is probably in the teens.
/
Curious how do you base the “in favour are second biggest”. Not saying it’s impossible, I don’t have numbers representative of « the pros » but the ones I know (or publicly announced them) are more against.
- Movistar 3 leaders are dead against it with comments like « good let others use it ». (Source from within the team)
- Terpstra requested the team not to use disc brakes when they use them last year (but not clear if specific to Paris Roubaix or for the entire year (source from a french newspaper during PR preparation camp)
- sky, they evaluated it with Pinarello and “don’t see the benefit” (source Pinarello engineer)
- Trek segafredo, know two riders who “hope be able to use the rim bike later during the season”. I had some positive feed back from other riders, 2 from the female team.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I can follow up and tell that the (very prominent -almost won a monument last year) Trek Pro I know very well, is happy that the team is riding discs this year. From what he says, that's pretty much the consensus amongst the riders.
But honestly, it doesn't matter much. Races can be won on either brake system.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

This:
Roel W wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 am
Who cares what pro riders ride or are forced to ride? Make your own choice according to your own needs and desires.
And this:
"RyanH, your friend needs to take ~20min to align his calipers on both ends...staring top down and from the bottom up. He might also want to true his rotors, another 20min or so..."

I don't live in the mountains...and I've used Record brakes and Mavic AL rims for about 15yrs...bombproof. And when I go adjust my rims brakes, it takes about 14seconds. Once a year or so, I change the pads...which takes another 10min. I don't want to spend time effin' around truing rotors and adjusting calipers...it's a PITA.

But if I had a mech, I'd gladly take discs. I don't get why Pros wouldn't want discs...or even care?

kode54

by kode54

20 min may be a stretch for aligning brake calipers. Sure, there's a learning curve coming from rim brakes...but once you do it a few times, it doesn't take much more than rim brakes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dim

by dim

I've read that disk brakes can 'rub' and often do .... that's why some say that disk brake bikes are slower than rim brake bikes

.... and thats why some pro's don't like them

here's an article (there are many more:)

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/07/ ... de-france/
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:12 pm
20 min may be a stretch for aligning brake calipers. Sure, there's a learning curve coming from rim brakes...but once you do it a few times, it doesn't take much more than rim brakes.
yeah 20m is a stretch.. most of the time it's 2... worst is 5
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

dim wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 pm
I've read that disk brakes can 'rub' and often do .... that's why some say that disk brake bikes are slower than rim brake bikes

.... and thats why some pro's don't like them

here's an article (there are many more:)

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/07/ ... de-france/
Take what this guy says with a grain of salt. He will also tell you (more or less) that a steel bike with a steel fork is faster then a modern carbon bike. I do however highly recommend his Compass tires. They are fantastic.

I can't say I feel bad for the pro-tour guys. Whatever they choose to ride or are forced to ride, it will all be good stuff with no real performance difference between the different systems. The more interesting thing will be to see how long the rim brake die-hards in the pro peloton can hold on. Pretty soon there simply won't be a choice.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

The big 3 still making rim brakes groupset.
Eg. Sram etap axs 12 speed, campagnolo super record 12 speed, and shimano dura ace

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I think it is not logical to complain about what sponsors are forcing riders. They want to sell more disc brake bikes and they want riders to show their disc brake bikes.

Problem is when people on forums, on group rides, journalists are showing pros as example for "the better equipment". Obviously disc brake is not better in every given condition and 'Hey look, Sagan is on disc brake' is not a valid argument.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Horses for courses. Discs are nice on gravel frames to fit big tires. On the road I don't need them. I prefer rim brakes. What's wrong with having both?
Colnago e Campagnolo

fxx

by fxx

Vagabond wrote:Horses for courses. Discs are nice on gravel frames to fit big tires. On the road I don't need them. I prefer rim brakes. What's wrong with having both?
Yes both formats have their plus and minuses, I own both, just like VHS and Beta...oh wait, didn't the inferior tech VHS win out?

I see some similarities here, the spandex wearing $10k bike market is probably 5 percent and would embrace disc brakes (Betamax) what about the other 95 percent rim brake riders (VHS) ?

Unless this is to say that 5 percent high end bike market is more profitable than 95 percent of the mass market??? And therefore more important for bike manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

fxx

by fxx

Why has no one done hydraulic rim brakes? At least the weight penalty would be less, no need to strengthen frame, fork, same spoke count and no need for enhanced hubs, stopping power would be better than mechanical rim brakes but less than disc brakes but I feel is a better compromise.

Jugi

by Jugi

Hydraulic rim brakes were available at least from SRAM (and from Magura for TT application) but they did not see much interest from pros or the rest. IMO simplicity of installation, maintenance and adjustment is the major benefit of mechanical rim brakes. Introduce hydraulics into the equation and much of that simplicity goes out the window.

fxx

by fxx

Jugi wrote:Hydraulic rim brakes were available at least from SRAM (and from Magura for TT application) but they did not see much interest from pros or the rest. IMO simplicity of installation, maintenance and adjustment is the major benefit of mechanical rim brakes. Introduce hydraulics into the equation and much of that simplicity goes out the window.
Then how come hydro disc brakes do not suffer from that image? They possess all the negatives you mentioned with a bigger weight penalty.

Wrong timing for hydro rim brakes? Or not enough marketing push?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

fxx wrote:Why has no one done hydraulic rim brakes? At least the weight penalty would be less, no need to strengthen frame, fork, same spoke count and no need for enhanced hubs, stopping power would be better than mechanical rim brakes but less than disc brakes but I feel is a better compromise.

Hum exist for more than 20 years from Magura but suffered not having integrated shifters. More recently sram and magura offer two options.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk