Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lewn777

by Lewn777

So Specialized/Merida and Canyon are forcing their pro riders on to disk brakes for 2019, as they are not providing their riders with any choice and using their contracts to enforce it.
This 'evolution' in bike technology that's so 'needed' by riders has to be forced through with muscle like fascism? Seems like bs. :|

I'm not against disk brakes if you want them. It seems some manufacturers are against choice. Just a repeat of the 26 inch to 27.5 inch mountain bike nonsense. Let the market decide not corporations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

BMC too

MoPho

by MoPho

How dare the manufacturers require the riders they employ to use what they sell! :noidea:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 am
How dare the manufacturers require the riders they employ to use what they sell! :noidea:
OK we already got it. You bought a disk brake bike and it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's so good that everyone else MUST simply be forced to buy one too and a rim brakes must be phased out ASAP, even for people that are perfectly happy with them. The option of buying a rim brake bike must be prevented by any means necessary, bullying, market subversion, advertising, sudo-science and bribery are not of limits because it's the 'natural evolution of better technology'.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 am

OK we already got it. You bought a disk brake bike and it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's so good that everyone else MUST simply be forced to buy one too.

Hey, don't blame me, you're the one who keeps starting threads whining about disc brakes. :roll:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 am

OK we already got it. You bought a disk brake bike and it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's so good that everyone else MUST simply be forced to buy one too.

Hey, don't blame me, you're the one who keeps starting threads whining about disc brakes. :roll:
Hey don't blame me. Most experienced riders don't want disk brakes, but you always turn up in every thread to defend them. :roll:

RyanH

by RyanH

On one hand, I agree with MoPho. At the end of the day, they want to make money and disc is the way to do that. So, if you were running these companies, you'd probably be doing the same. I mean, Sagan is going to ride a Spesh Sprint Disc in one of the Tour Down Under races. It's not because it's the best bike, it's because it'll sell a lot of bikes...unless he comes dfl.

With that being said, this is a sad day. I spent 4 hours in the rain today on my normal Saturday group ride listening to a concophony of noises emitted from my friend's disc brake bike the entire 4 freaking hours. Part of the irony too was that this ride of 50 to 100 people has quite a few disc riders now, but none of them showed up today to ride in the rain except our friend. I rode Nemesis tubulars and braking was fantastic...and quiet from start to finish.

Some day they'll figure out how to make disc work with wider spacing in the pads to rotor, but it's not there yet. Oh, and my friend? He's contemplating going back to rim brakes.

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 am

Hey don't blame me. Most experienced riders don't want disk brakes, but you always turn up in every thread to defend them. :roll:
So stop making silly threads whining about them and posting misleading information and I won't have to come in to defend them. :noidea:

If some pro really likes their Cannondale bike but signs with Specialized, he/she is not going to have a choice to ride something other than the Specialized, so how is this any different? It's their job!

And BTW, I did a 40 mile ride on a rim brake bike yesterday, the brakes (Ultegra and alloy wheels) were surprisingly horrible, in fact almost crashed into a buddy on his disc brake bike when we had to panic stop for a red light and I couldn't get the bike slowed down as fast as he did

And to be fair Ryan, I've been on many rides where the rim brake bikes are the ones squealing away. And I highly doubt the bike Sagan (or anyone else) is riding will make any difference in how they finish a race

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 am

So stop making silly threads whining about them and posting misleading information and I won't have to come in to defend them. :noidea:

If some pro really likes their Cannondale bike but signs with Specialized, he/she is not going to have a choice to ride something other than the Specialized, so how is this any different? It's their job!

And BTW, I did a 40 mile ride on a rim brake bike yesterday, the brakes (Ultegra and alloy wheels) were surprisingly horrible, in fact almost crashed into a buddy on his disc brake bike when we had to panic stop for a red light and I couldn't get the bike slowed down as fast as he did

And to be fair Ryan, I've been on many rides where the rim brake bikes are the ones squealing away. And I highly doubt the bike Sagan (or anyone else) is riding will make any difference in how they finish a race

Here you go again, keep making up total anecdotal anti rim brake nonsense at every turn. Can't you just 'allow' other people to have their silly anti disk brake threads without feeling the need to bust in like some moronic Monty Pythonesque Spanish Inquisitor? I own five bikes with hydraulic disks ffs.

I think hydraulic disk brakes are better on mountain bikes.
What do I do if I see a thread where some mountain bikers prefer mech disks, V-brakes or canti brakes?
Do I rush in tell them they're wrong to defend my chosen system? No I freaking leave it. So should you.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RyanH, your friend needs to take ~20min to align his calipers on both ends...staring top down and from the bottom up. He might also want to true his rotors, another 20min or so. He should basically never hear a tisk tisk tisk noise, not even when sawing his bike back and forth out of the saddle. Not even after hard braking where metal expansion has occurred at different rates on the rotor. At least this should be the case with Shimano and SRAM hardware. My previous experience with Hope RX4s was hot garbage, so hopefully he's not on those.

https://giant.gfycat.com/SlightFrigidKomododragon.webm

As for squeals in the rain, SwissStop Disc RS resin pads do a pretty good job not squealing in damp conditions. When fully wet however, there is some squeal if the rotor is cool. Disc RS pads are so good, I've stopped using the sintered and "hybrid" sintered/resin pads altogether.

MoPho, I wouldn't say rim brakes squeal. Certain brands' textured brake surfaces are very "missile command" sounding in all conditions, that's true, but it's not a squeal and some people probably like the sound I guess. I know the last gen of Mavic wheels made the sound, and ENVE's might be the loudest of all. But I agree with your main point...

Constantly starting new threads to whine about disc brakes is as tiresome to us as you find our replies, Lewn777. You're not a pro, you have the freedom of choice. Make your choice count as long as you can. Hold it dear if you want. Rim brakes will be around for quite some time.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I didn't make a thread to complain about disk brakes.
I made a thread to complain about pros being coerced into using them.

There's a difference.

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:58 am

Here you go again, keep making up total anecdotal anti rim brake nonsense at every turn. Can't you just 'allow' other people to have their silly anti disk brake threads without feeling the need to bust in like some moronic Monty Pythonesque Spanish Inquisitor? I own five bikes with hydraulic disks ffs.

So who made you king? Why is it you feel the need to keep making threads or bust in on every disc discussion whining about them but I am not allowed to call you out on it?!
My annecdotal evidence is not ok but yours is? What about Ryans annecdotal evidence about his friend? That's ok because you want to agree with it, right? :roll:

And I am not anti-rim brake, I don't care what anyone buys, but I am going to continue to call out misinformation about disc brakes when I see it. If you don't like it, you can buzz off
What do I do if I see a thread where some mountain bikers prefer mech disks, V-brakes or canti brakes?
Do I rush in tell them they're wrong to defend my chosen system? No I freaking leave it. So should you.
Do you see me (or any other disc brake user for that mater) rush into rim brake bike discsusions and tell people that rim brakes suck, no you absolutely do not. But I have seen you and others jump into disc brake discussions and start complaning about disc brakes on road bikes quite freqently.

I didn't make a thread to complain about disk brakes.
I made a thread to complain about pros being coerced into using them.

There's a difference.

And I directly responded to that point, I never said anything about disc brakes. I could have made the same comment if you were complaining about the bike companies forcing their riders to use aero bikes, or carbon wheels. You're the one who turned it into an anti- disc brake discussion, again.

Last edited by MoPho on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

MoPho

by MoPho

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 am
MoPho, I wouldn't say rim brakes squeal. Certain brands' textured brake surfaces are very "missile command" sounding in all conditions, that's true, but it's not a squeal and some people probably like the sound I guess. I know the last gen of Mavic wheels made the sound, and ENVE's might be the loudest of all. But I agree with your main point...
I wasn't referring to the textured rim noise. Rim brakes squeal for the same reason disc brakes squeal, poor set up. If the pads aren't toe'd correctly they can get loud. Point being noisy brakes aren't isolated to disc
I've been on many a group ride where there is someone with their rim brakes squealling just as loud as a poorly set up disc brake. I've also had my rim brakes squeal from time to time when they get used hard and get hot on carbon wheels.
Disc brakes do get noisy in the wet, but I have found it usually goes away after you've heated them up a bit. It's been a long time since I've been in the rain on my road bike, but MTB I did a really nasty wet and muddy ride a few weeks ago, and my disc brakes only got noisy a few times. I was expecting it to be worse.
Constantly starting new threads to whine about disc brakes is as tiresome to us as you find our replies, Lewn777. You're not a pro, you have the freedom of choice. Make your choice count as long as you can. Hold it dear if you want. Rim brakes will be around for quite some time.
Yup :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MoPho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 am
this... it's a job afterall.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RyanH

by RyanH

Nope, his issues were due to riding through mud. In fairness, a disc user friend suggested spraying a bottle on the rotors most likely would have resolved the issue.

Another friend though, a former WT pro, needs to swap his bike because despite pro mechanics working it, they can't get it quiet out of the saddle (that was another noise filled 6 hour ride). Oh, and another current WT pro we rode with a few weeks ago couldn't get his brakes to not make an awful shreaking noise in the dry despite trying everything to get it quiet.

Don't forget that I owned a disc brake bike that I took a several thousand dollar loss on due to the issues I had with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com