Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:03 am
yep... overall my disc bikes are more silent then my rim brake bikes were... (when applying the brakes)
That is really odd !

Most if not all textured carbon brake tracks make significant noise, dry or wet. Disc brakes should be silent in the dry and depending on the pad compound, could squeal in the wet. I have found that some squeal is expected with sintered pads in wet conditions, but with SwissStop "RS" resin pads, they are silent 99% of the time in the wet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

mattr wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:50 am
To get water in the system would suggest a significicant lack of maintenance. Seals do not suddenly and catastrophically fail in such a way to let water in. Unless they have been abused/left dirty/not serviced. Worst case is generally a few drops of water, if that, that been pulled in through the seals after several years of normal use
Not suddenly, but in time you will get moisture in the system...
mattr wrote:From what i can remember, Carbon/ceramic don't like rapid/uneven cooling. So wet F1 races might use cast iron, and rally cars regularly get dumped in deep water and mud. They also aren't so good when they are cold. Cast iron (and MMC) works from pretty much room temperature.
It could have been rain races, I don't remember. I think nowadays they always use carbon/ceramic brakes... Having said that, I could be wrong, I have stopped watching F1 years ago, it is booooooooooring...

Yes, carbon/ceramic brakes need to be in their optimal temperature range to work properly, or better said, they need heat, they don't work well from cold... But in F1 you have warm-up lap, in WRC you don't :)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

flying wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
yep... overall my disc bikes are more silent then my rim brake bikes were... (when applying the brakes)
That is really odd !
textured brakes are not silent... but they work really well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

dolophonic

by dolophonic

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 am
flying wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
That is really odd !

Most if not all textured carbon brake tracks make significant noise, dry or wet. Disc brakes should be silent in the dry and depending on the pad compound, could squeal in the wet. I have found that some squeal is expected with sintered pads in wet conditions, but with SwissStop "RS" resin pads, they are silent 99% of the time in the wet.
TBH i have heard a lot of disc brakes make noise .. a lot of nioise.. Maybe some textured rims make noise but as we saw at Il Giro the riders were "happy" using rim brakes in the worst conditions .. that tells you all you need to know. :up:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tells me nothing...

I'd pucker with rim or disc in those conditions... because all I would think about is the tires giving out... well atleast they have both halves of the road which is a luxury I dont.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

dolophonic wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 am
flying wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
That is really odd !

TBH i have heard a lot of disc brakes make noise .. a lot of nioise.. Maybe some textured rims make noise but as we saw at Il Giro the riders were "happy" using rim brakes in the worst conditions .. that tells you all you need to know. :up:
Yes because closed roads and pro skills are the norm....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Jugi

by Jugi

dolophonic wrote: TBH i have heard a lot of disc brakes make noise .. a lot of nioise.. Maybe some textured rims make noise but as we saw at Il Giro the riders were "happy" using rim brakes in the worst conditions .. that tells you all you need to know. :up:
Did you see somebody smiling in the bunch? I saw a couple of Astana riders nearly kissing the barriers as they came in a little bit too fast while descending from Mortirolo. Most likely they weren't too happy about brake performance.

It's an over-simplification to measure a professional's ability to descend just as a matter of brake system's performance. It should be looked at as a racing situation:
- what is a rider's current position within the race
- what is the desired result from the stage for that particular rider and team
- what can be gained from pushing the envelope while descending
- what is the dynamic effect within a group if a rider decides to push it
- what is the overall road condition - quality of tarmac, amount of road markings etc. which all adds up the risk involved in higher average speeds
- how fatigued and stressed the rider is after 150 km
- if a rider makes a mess of it, where is the closest replacement wheel or spare bike
= based on all these conditions, how much of a difference a braking system's real life performance will actually make in this particular racing situation? A grand tour is a three week endurance race, and the equipment choice should be the most efficient and reliable combination to ride through the whole race.

I will be climbing the Mortirolo on June 27th, on rim brakes with textured carbon brake tracks. I sincerely hope we won't have conditions resembling the Giro stage.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

@Lewn777 can you make another thread titled "some pros accrediting winning stages to disc brakes during the 2019 season"
https://youtu.be/oNMZ7LRCWxk?t=132

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I find it funny that they bring up Fran Ventoso’s injury. When video evidence showed that there were zero disc brake equipped bikes around when he crashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fxx

by fxx

LeDuke wrote:
I find it funny that they bring up Fran Ventoso’s injury. When video evidence showed that there were zero disc brake equipped bikes around when he crashed.

What video evidence? Please share.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

fxx wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

What video evidence? Please share.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Watch his P-R crash on YouTube, and then note that no one from either of the two teams on disc brakes that day were involved in the crash.

If no one on a disc brake bike was anywhere near him when he crashed, yet he still came up bleeding, I’d call that evidence that a disc rotor didn’t cause his injury.

zefs

by zefs

That doesn't mean they can't cause serious injury. I barely touched my front rotor with my finger tips for a split second after a mountain descend and it was like touching the oven. Not sure if the same temps are reached when you brake hard before a crash in the bunch but it would be wise to use the covers on the peloton.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Had lunch with a friend last week. He was wearing a t-shirt and showed me his new “brand” from the Sunday prior. He had a run in with a disc rotor during a crash and while no blood was shed, the brand from the rotor made a nice circular imprint, vents and all. I don’t think it’s serious enough to leave a permanent scar, but if it does it will be so much cooler than a tattoo.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Considering pros and discs, the most ridiculous thing is that some teams choose to put discs on their tt bikes. They just add weight and increase aero drag for absolutely no reason at all (other than marketing of course).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com