Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4030
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Oh, the two manufacturers that i'm aware of that run it on the front of the fork, have probably had less "catastrophic failures" than the manufacturers that put it on the back of the fork leg.

I'm still waiting on the reveal here. I'm legitimately drawing a blank trying to come up with any production bike (road, mtb, cx, hybrid, etc) with a disc caliper mounted in front of the fork. It would have to have weird hydraulic line routing because it would be rotated 180deg.

by Weenie


spdntrxi
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Calnago wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:Pros have the most to gain or lose by equip changes so I cant blame them.
That’s exactly why if the tech offered any significant advantage they would have adopted it years ago.
But they could just not be willing to take the chance because so much is on the line . I was like that for awhile... Weill with much less on the line. ;)

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4030
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:19 am

But they could just not be willing to take the chance because so much is on the line . I was like that for awhile... Weill with much less on the line. ;)

Plus, we don't ride on closed roads and have to avoid cars. What the pros ride or win races on does not have much influence on my brake technology preference.

mattr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Location: The Grim North.

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 am
I'm still waiting on the reveal here. I'm legitimately drawing a blank trying to come up with any production bike (road, mtb, cx, hybrid, etc) with a disc caliper mounted in front of the fork. It would have to have weird hydraulic line routing because it would be rotated 180deg.
FFS I've been asleep. Do you stay up all night incase you need to answer questions on the internet?
Anyway. Cotic Roadrat runs the caliper on the front of the RHS fork leg, so no funky routing needed. The other bike I've seen with a front mounted caliper is a low loading cargo bike. Can't find the brand yet, but if i see it again around town I'll be sure to check.
As far as I'm aware putting it there serves two purposes. Wheel ejection forces are pretty much zeroed if the rest if the fork tip is well designed (Fox Vs Pinder for example) and it makes front guards far easier to fit. The only "extra" consideration is making sure the mounting of the caliper is up to it. So no short aluminium bolts. Full length hugh grade steel or nothing.
Last edited by mattr on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4030
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 am
I'm still waiting on the reveal here. I'm legitimately drawing a blank trying to come up with any production bike (road, mtb, cx, hybrid, etc) with a disc caliper mounted in front of the fork. It would have to have weird hydraulic line routing because it would be rotated 180deg.
FFS I've been asleep. Do you stay up all night incase you need to answer questions on the internet?
Anyway. Cotic Roadrat runs the caliper on the front of the RHS fork leg, so no funky routing needed. The other bike I've seen with a front mounted caliper is a low loading cargo bike. Can't find the brand yet, but if i see it again around town I'll be sure to check.
As far as I'm aware putting it there serves two purposes. Wheel ejection forces are pretty much zeroed if the rest if the fork tip is well designed (Fox Vs Pinder for example) and it makes front guards far easier to fit. The only "extra" consideration is making sure the mounting of the caliper is up to it.

Time zone differences.

Anyway I see the old Cotic Roadrat has a front mounted caliper. It doesn't have weird routing because they've actually flipped the whole lot upside down so the rotor is on the DS. It also looks like this design is from a decade ago and later Roadrats went with the conventional set-up. I imagine they found fault in the non-standard arrangement.

mattr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Location: The Grim North.

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:45 am
I imagine they found fault in the non-standard arrangement.
"They"?
The designer/owner of the company stopped doing it due to resistance from customers (it looks odd), the advent of through axles and the wholesale shift to carbon forks (making special dropouts for a steel fork with IS mounts costs pennies, carbon forks and post mount, not so much.).
There were even some calculations and sketches that he published showing the load path, bolt loads etc.

icantaffordcycling
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 am

by icantaffordcycling


mattr wrote: There were even some calculations and sketches that he published showing the load path, bolt loads etc.
Please let me know if you find it. I tried calculating the force exerted on the calliper but I think I messed up.
Edit: https://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/page/archi ... _discmount
No calculations :(. I think there is a reason why motorcycles have their callipers behind the fork as well. Even though my math doesn't prove it, I don't think that having the calliper on the front allows the calliper to brace against anything the way the calliper at the 6 'o clock position does.
Specialized Allez Sprint 2019 (In Progress)
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right.

Etienne
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 am
Location: France

by Etienne

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 am
spdntrxi wrote:Pros have the most to gain or lose by equip changes so I cant blame them.
That’s exactly why if the tech offered any significant advantage they would have adopted it years ago.
But you know that in the polarized world we're living in, there's no place for balanced opinions ... you have to be pro or con, the intermediate position is a very dangerous no man's land :lol:

ichobi
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

And nobody mentions two of the winningest teams on the pro tour run full disc brakes. (Bora and Quickstep). And just as well Astana, another top 3 team runs on rim brake and none aero bike. It doesn't friggin matter what they use. If they have the legs, they will win the race. Almost every sprints this season are won on disc aero bikes. May be all top 10 grand tour contender still run on rim, but why does it even matter when nobody here will join a world class 3 weeks race, ever.

What pro use should not really affect our decision in any meaningful way whatsoever. If you don't have the legs to contend Letape, a rim brake weenie bike will not get you a win either way. The reason to avoid or choose disc is not really about performance unless you want the lightest bike possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

ichobi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm
.... but why does it even matter when nobody here will join a world class 3 weeks race, ever.
Adam Hansen used to post on here, but point taken. :D
Your cycling kit is one size too big!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post