Some manufacturers forcing pros onto disk brakes for the 2019 season

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

It would be an idiotic question to ask a pro!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:51 pm

contex.. lewn777 is under the impression that a retired pro that is under no contract is all knowing (in a nutshell). Others and I disagree. I know it sucks to read every post, but to get the gravity of the statement on this one.... you kinda have too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s 3 professional opinions: in favor, indifferent, not in favor.

Indifference is where most pros are. In favor is second biggest at this point. The number of pros that don’t want disc brakes in the peloton is probably in the teens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqv6wSgmHE/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^lol

did you know Leo Messi likes Pepsi so much he went on to make an ad about it... or perhaps it's the other way round...

I'm feeling hopeless everytime an adult confuses ads with reality :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:08 am
Sagan doesn't usually win sprints in the "not actually the TDU" because 1) he's not even a pure sprinter like Ewan and 2) he needs to peak for the spring classics not the first race on the calendar. Meanwhile nobody should be surprised that Aussie riders / teams care more about hometown races.
This pretty much what I was thinking when watching that sprint between Sagan and Ewan.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:There’s 3 professional opinions: in favor, indifferent, not in favor.

Indifference is where most pros are. In favor is second biggest at this point. The number of pros that don’t want disc brakes in the peloton is probably in the teens.
/
Curious how do you base the “in favour are second biggest”. Not saying it’s impossible, I don’t have numbers representative of « the pros » but the ones I know (or publicly announced them) are more against.
- Movistar 3 leaders are dead against it with comments like « good let others use it ». (Source from within the team)
- Terpstra requested the team not to use disc brakes when they use them last year (but not clear if specific to Paris Roubaix or for the entire year (source from a french newspaper during PR preparation camp)
- sky, they evaluated it with Pinarello and “don’t see the benefit” (source Pinarello engineer)
- Trek segafredo, know two riders who “hope be able to use the rim bike later during the season”. I had some positive feed back from other riders, 2 from the female team.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm
liam7020 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:51 pm

contex.. lewn777 is under the impression that a retired pro that is under no contract is all knowing (in a nutshell). Others and I disagree. I know it sucks to read every post, but to get the gravity of the statement on this one.... you kinda have too.
No, I'm under the impression that a long term pro that had retired after maybe having had a 15-20 year cycling career with team changes would have a pretty good idea what cycle components they'd like to have on a bike when they are not under team obligation. Someone that has possibly ridden with different teams and may have used all sorts of different components and frames. Their choice of tires, saddle and group-set would be interesting.

This would be a much better indication of what's good than someone than sudo-science marketing, or by looking at a current sponsored pro's bike.

Of course any long term serious cyclist probably as just as good or in some cases an even better idea. However this would come down to the individual. Some pros stay on the same team for years, some amateurs stay with the same bike for years.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm
There’s 3 professional opinions: in favor, indifferent, not in favor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqv6wSgmHE/
You missed a bit:
Indifference is where most pros are. In favor is second biggest at this point. The number of pros that don’t want disc brakes in the peloton and openly admit it is probably in the teens.

IMO your 'indifferent' group contains many that don't want disk brakes. If your career relies on keeping sponsors happy it's not going to be good to question their choices openly, however honest opinions might be different. Tom Boonen keeping his sponsors happy is evidence of nothing whatsoever nor is your zero evidence based groupings of pro opinion.

Surely you must realize that pros sign contracts. The biggest thing for the pro is not not bring the sponsors into disrepute and essentially be their ambassadors. Are you really that soft headed you think that Peter Segan likes German made kitchen extractor units too?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It sure is convenient to dismiss any pro-disc mention as commercial obligation. Check the rest of Boonen's IG to see how much he shills products (not at all.)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Image^ you dont feel it in this pic :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Lewn777

by Lewn777

ImageImage
This is Peter Sagan's favorite shower unit. He has the choice of many, but he chooses this. There are other shower units, but without this one he wouldn't win all the races he does, he says it's the best. You should immediately order one online and pay a plumber and then a bathroom decorator at huge expense to remove your old inferior bathroom shower head and replace it with this one. This is how the best cyclists are made.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 am

Clearly the message is that he would rather be riding a polished Titanium bike so you need one too! :thumbup:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 am

Clearly the message is that he would rather be riding a polished Titanium bike so you need one too! :thumbup:

I'm sure it's chrome plated steel. Steel's real. :thumbup:

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 am

I'm sure it's chrome plated steel. Steel's real. :thumbup:
Lies! Pros don't ride steel so it can't be good. :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Who cares what pro riders ride or are forced to ride?
Make your own choice according to your own needs and desires.
I'm not a pro: I ride slower on roads with traffic, often smaller roads, have no team car behind me with spare wheels, I use my brakes a lot more, hve to pay my own rims if they are worn out,... so I have totally different needs and won't copy what they ride.