Flying a bike for cheap, possible?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

dmp

by dmp

Orucase.
There are a whole lot of threads on this- use search.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

itsacarr wrote:Another advocate here for the Oru case here http://orucase.com .... Pretty tough to go wrong with that. Plenty of positive experiences and no need to deal with airline charges beyond checking more than one piece of luggage or whatever your allotment is. Few dozen flights for me without issues or costs domestic and over seas.
Have a few trips planned for the next year, so started to look into a new case again. Orucase is at the top of the list given the times I’ve heard it mentioned here and all the benefits. My question for those that use it frequently is the safety of the wheels themselves. Seems like the knelt soft case tat goes out of their way to protect them having them sandwiched on the outside of the case is the BIKND case by having those bladders. The sides is what takes the blunt of all potential force.

So, anything extra you guys do to protect/pad your wheels?? Is there any room left in the privase to stuff other things like shoes, clothing, etc?

dmp

by dmp

gasmd, it's not a soft case like you are thinking of. The sides are reinforced with a sheet of semirigid (thin but incredibly tough) plastic that is padded with very dense foam. The edges (top, bottom, sides) are padded with very thick dense foam. I have not had an issue to date (if I remember correctly 8 flights so far, including 6 overseas with transfers). I haven't had to do anything with my wheels, but I do partially deflate the tires. You do need to take out the quick releases, of course. I would look at their newest model- it looks easier to pack.

robeambro

by robeambro

Again this might have been said already somewhere else on WW but am curious, for EU people, is there any benefit in going for an Orucase vs Bike Box Alan (or other similar hardcase) ? IIRC weight limit for bikes here is 23kg, which should be doable with the latter, whilst -arguably- giving extra protection.

Don't get me wrong, I am open to considering the Orucase, but I want to understand whether its benefits extend to EU travellers. Is it just easier to carry, or is there more to it?

ms6073

by ms6073

We have used Evoc travel cases since 2012 and always get charged extra, but after our latest trip last week, having first had to purchase new internal frames for our thru-axle disc brake bikes as well as finding that having stored it in the attic, several of the 'heavy duty' cloth handles have frayed/torn off, I am now considering a new bag. To that end am considering the Post Carry Co. Transfer Case but it seems to be pretty similar to the Orrucase Airport Ninja and was curious if anyone has tried both?

Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

dgasmd

by dgasmd

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm
We have used Evoc travel cases since 2012 and always get charged extra, but after a latest trip last week, after having to purchase new internal frames for our thru-axle disc brake bikes as well as finding that having stored it in the attic, several of the 'heavy duty' cloth handles have frayed/torn off, I am now considering a new bag. To that end am considering the Post Carry Co. Transfer Case but it seems to be pretty similar to the Orrucase Airport Ninja and was curious if anyone has tried both?

Where are the wheels?

ms6073

by ms6073

The wheels appear to be hidden/obscurred behind the un-zipped side panel.

Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...