Flying a bike for cheap, possible?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

***EDIT: If you're just opening this for the first time, please note that the subject has slightly changed. I am now interested in feedback on what bike box to buy, so please ignore this OP!**

Hi guys,

I have never flown my bike when going on holiday - but to my knowledge many people do, rather than renting a bike locally.
So, I have looked at EasyJet's tariffs and they demand a rather hefty 50eur per flight for a bike. Looking at other airlines, it seems to be around the same. :shock:

Am I missing something, or is it just not optimal to travel with one's own bike unless one is having a quite long holiday?
Last edited by robeambro on Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I think 100€ is pretty decent price for bike bag when some airlines takes even 70€ for normal luggage. Good rental bikes are easily 35-40€ per day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Kumppa wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:33 pm
I think 100€ is pretty decent price for bike bag when some airlines takes even 70€ for normal luggage. Good rental bikes are easily 35-40€ per day.
Well in a sense yes, but if my passenger ticket is < 100€, I feel kinda weird that my bike costs more.. :shock:

mattr

by mattr

Is this your first experience of a budget airline?

;)

robeambro

by robeambro

mattr wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:15 pm
Is this your first experience of a budget airline?

;)
Well, not as a passenger. But I never looked into flying my bike, and I expected it to be cheaper. Airlines charge some 30-something EUR for extra luggage, so I would have expected the same or less for a bike which usually would weigh much less than that and take around the same space.
Seems silly to me.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’s kind of weird that the taxes and airport fees cost more than your seat for your ticket, but that’s the world of economics for you. 200 bucks to fly you and your bike to a destination and back seems like good value to me, I’ve had lunches that cost more. Bikes boxes are large, they take up more space than a suitcase. You can put more than just a bike in there too, like squeezing clothes and kit all around the empty space

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I have paid close to 300$ round trip for my bike. I was able to use it for 14 rides on my trip, so it made sense to me. If you can only ride once or twice rent a bike. Or just take up running, shoes are easy to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

robeambro wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm
Well, not as a passenger. But I never looked into flying my bike, and I expected it to be cheaper. Airlines charge some 30-something EUR for extra luggage, so I would have expected the same or less for a bike which usually would weigh much less than that and take around the same space.
Seems silly to me.
really? A decent bike box/bag is about 20-25 kilos when properly packed and padded. It also takes as much volume as 2 or 3 normal sized suitcases......
Some planes you can struggle to physically fit them in to the hold....

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

Took my bike to Dubai a few times, never cost me any extra but I think they changed the rules and have started charging since my last trip.
Personally i’d rather take my own bike on a cycling holiday rather than hire one. Bike is setup for me and i’m familiar with everything about it and its less faff when you get there, just assemble and ride.

robeambro

by robeambro

Understood. I thought there would have been tricks to make it cheaper, but I guess it will never be really the most sensible option for a quick weekend getaway where you'd cycle twice at best.

micky

by micky

robeambro wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Seems silly to me.
30 something euro?
You're about 10 years late for that!
For a couple of years I was flying each winter to Alicante and I think each year the bike fees were going up 10euro on Ryanair.
So basically, yes it's normal that bring your bike cost more than the ticket itself!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

If you fly BA a bike can count as a normal checked bag, as long as it is under the weight limit, ie you don’t have to pay a specific bike Charge .

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I just picked up an Orucase for an upcoming vacay. Emirates wants to charge $250 each way for a standard bike bag. Hopefully this Orucase is good enough to pass as standard luggage.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Orbital

by Orbital

Beancouter wrote:If you fly BA a bike can count as a normal checked bag, as long as it is under the weight limit, ie you don’t have to pay a specific bike Charge .

This. We took our bikes when we were last home to Sweden and British Airlines were the only carrier to take them free. Only issue was they arrived a few days after we did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Beancouter wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 pm
If you fly BA a bike can count as a normal checked bag, as long as it is under the weight limit, ie you don’t have to pay a specific bike Charge
it used to depend on the route. Long haul was included, short haul wasn't.
But it's been ~10 years since my last BA flight.....