Best bike storage setup in a small garage.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

northshore

by northshore

After a life of keeping my bikes in hallways and shared bike sheds, I now have a single car garage (with no car or plans for a car), and am trying to decide on the best way to store 5+ bikes in a neat and convenient fashion.

I'm currently thinking of hanging the bikes flat along the wall, using either the Feedback Sports Velo Hinge, or Steadyracks. Both let you swing the bike against the wall to save floor space. The velo hinge is smaller and cheaper. The steadyrack is bulkier, and twice as expensive, but seems more refined.

Does anyone have experience with either? I was also considering keeping them on floor stands, lined diagonally against the wall like in a shop - but would it take up more floor space.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You now have a one car garage (presume you had no garage before) and no car or plans for a car. I think you’ve easily got space for 5 more bikes now.
I actually like them on the floor if you have the space exactly as you described... diagonally nicely lined up.
Although this year things almost went terribly wrong. I have the Christmas decorations stored on a high shelf in a big plastic bin. I have a long 14’ step ladder that I use to get at it but instead of moving the bikes out of the way I just squeezed in and leaned the step ladder against the shelving without properly opening it up. I only needed to get about 2 or 3 steps up. Well, as I made my way back down with the awkward bin, the last step got me off balance and I had to drop the decorations as the ladder kind of got away from me and started a fall that would have dominoe’d about five precious bikes. I just managed to catch it in time. Whew!
Unless you really need the floor space, they’re just nice and accessible there rather than hanging about.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Get lots of security. Lots and lots.

Ground anchor and a long and strong chain.

euan

by euan

Yep that

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I pity the fool that tries to breach my garage.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

At a guess, and from looking at them, over 95% of peoples "secure" garages could be cleared out in less than 10 minutes.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I have a cramped garage and the steadyrack swinging bike holders. I think they take 16" of space with Speedplay frogs. The pedals end up being the limiter on a road bike. Top peak has a slightly nicer model with a notched/locking hinge, the steadyracks use friction, and the feebacks are less secure swing-wise.
Really though, store 2 in the garage and put the remaining in deep storage. Ideally, everything would be mounted high up, to make floor space and regularly used gear storage.
I'd also recommend a wall mount service clamp (for repairs and holding your regular ride), modifying a park tools work stand basket to be cozy with it, and getting a wall tool organizer.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... lXSkNHZ3p3

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I should add - if you have hydraulic disc brakes, make sure you can store that bike with the lever / MC above the calipers. You don't want your bike tilted with rear wheel hitting the wall at a different plane than the front wheel with the bike hung vertically, where the caliper would be above the brake levers, for example. This would move air bubbles to the caliper from the MC... then you'll need to bleed them or wait from them to float back to the OK spot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Only if a) you don't look after them (poor bleed) or b) if you keep pumping them while the bike is hung up.

I've had half a dozen hydraulically braked bikes hung up for ~10 years and only had the issue when i've done one of the above.