2019...On The Road Today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Bike Rally in Plano today.... stopped on the lake. Didn't take pics of the dropped chain or flat.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

.ImageImage
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right. bannable offense.

sychen

by sychen

Couple of rides this long weekend.. And down to vivid as well... ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I couple of weeks in central Italy on the worst roads in terrible weather. Loved every minute.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Nice Mr Gib, very nice shots!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Not my photos so no credit please. But forget the photos and just think about descending 15 or 20km on those roads. Man, you'd better have your tires, wheels, and brakes sorted.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MoPho

by MoPho

Patterson Pass, CA
Sony RX100

ultyguy

by ultyguy

kingtom wrote:Image Aegerisee near Zug. Image

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk
It can be beautiful! ;-)

Back in the saddle after a sick week :-( misty morning hill grunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm
I couple of weeks in central Italy on the worst roads in terrible weather. Loved every minute.
This ilustrates perfectly what it comes to my mind anytime I read someone claiming that a road bike does not need tires bigger than 25c. Obviously, if you have never been there you would never imagine why someone else needs them.

I was riding on worse pavement than that the past weekend. As you say, 30-31c tires made the riding on those roads very enjoyable. With thinner tires it would have been a total PITA. Sometimes you choose a route and you have no idea what pavement you will encounter. Other times you know what to expect, but you still like to go there because you know you will not find any traffic. In all those cases, wider tires make the riding more enjoyable and puncture-free.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

nachetetm wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
I was riding on worse pavement than that the past weekend.
Worse that that? How does it get worse than that? I am joking with you of course. Worse is always possible.

Not only does 30mm+ at low pressure make it comfortable, but the safety factor is huge. I could actually descend without feeling like I was going to fly off the side of a mountain at any moment. None of the people I rode with had tires any bigger than 28mm and most of them were on 17 or 19mm internal rims. Most were in the 75 to 90 psi range. Super tough, super talented riders all, but on the descents they could not follow me. And while descending is kinda my thing, tires were a huge factor.

TonyM

by TonyM

On such descents and if you are not racing, IMHO "better safe than sorry" whenever with wide tires or slower speed etc....

basilic

by basilic

yes, Italy. last year I was for a bit in Umbria, and the roads were horrendous (not everywhere, but close to 50%), the outside strip seemingly destroyed by trucks' wheels, you had to ride down the middle when possible. In the Piedmont that happens too quite often on the bigger roads. Other places, Dolomites, Tuscany, the roads are superb. Better tax base I suppose.

Konsi

by Konsi

A few from the last days

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Mr.Gib wrote:
nachetetm wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
I was riding on worse pavement than that the past weekend.
Worse that that? How does it get worse than that? I am joking with you of course. Worse is always possible.

Not only does 30mm+ at low pressure make it comfortable, but the safety factor is huge. I could actually descend without feeling like I was going to fly off the side of a mountain at any moment. None of the people I rode with had tires any bigger than 28mm and most of them were on 17 or 19mm internal rims. Most were in the 75 to 90 psi range. Super tough, super talented riders all, but on the descents they could not follow me. And while descending is kinda my thing, tires were a huge factor.
Funnily, the KOM for that particular worst sector in the ride I'm mentioning is hold by no other than Richard Carapaz. A few other pros are training around, according to Strava. Most of the roads are in very good condition, but there are a few horrid sectors unrideable with very skinny tires.

by Weenie