2019...On The Road Today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

velomane

by velomane

Costa Blanco looks pretty. Did you guys rent the bikes?

lacoon

by lacoon

we had our own. but you can easily rent bikes there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

velomane wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:04 am
Costa Blanco looks pretty. Did you guys rent the bikes?
I was looking at these beautiful photos and being totally envious of our European brethren (and sisteren) who can get in a car and drive south until the climate is suitable for some nice riding. It's really getting to me now that the Pacific Northwest is experiencing a taste of winter. High temperature today of 0 celcius, minus 4 right now so no riding for me. And then I noticed that you are in Winnipeg - you're at minus 26 C right now. I should shut up.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyM

by TonyM

Mr.Gib wrote:
I was looking at these beautiful photos and being totally envious of our European brethren (and sisteren) who can get in a car and drive south until the climate is suitable for some nice riding. It's really getting to me now that the Pacific Northwest is experiencing a taste of winter. High temperature today of 0 celcius, minus 4 right now so no riding for me

Europe is a large area...it really depends where you live...you may have to drive many many hours south....

And look at the winter in Vancouver compared to for example Austria or Switzerland (except Ticino)....you can‘t really complain...LOL

BTW what about your plans to move to Europe for a few months per year?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TonyM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm
Europe is a large area...it really depends where you live...you may have to drive many many hours south....
And look at the winter in Vancouver compared to for example Austria or Switzerland (except Ticino)....you can‘t really complain...LOL
BTW what about your plans to move to Europe for a few months per year?
Vancouver? Hell no, way too much rain and still a bit too cold - I couldn't live there. I am on the Island. This latest storm was our first frost of the year. I really am a princess I guess.

Europe - well this is half the reason. If I get far enough south I will only have to deal with very short term weather disruptions. The other half is the roads and the perfectly dispersed small towns - it just doesn't get any better. For the next 5 years probably just a several weeks per year. After that maybe 6 months per year. I need to research the tax regulations.

Europe of course is "big" and a solid days drive is needed depending on how far north you start. A solid days drives south from where I am now could put me in worse weather. And what do you really get? San Fransisco area is about 20 hours drive south - a day an half really. It's great but it ain't Spain.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

velomane

by velomane

I was just lookin at the weather across Canada. Not a single place above zero. This may be normal for Winnipeg, but it must suck for the people in Victoria. Shouldn't the flowers be blooming by now?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

robertbb

by robertbb

That a black and white pic Cal... or how it actually looked? :lol:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nope, that’s how it actually looked as shot through my iPhone. Exposure is probably a little off simply due to the effects of white balance with a lot of snow in the frame, but that’s what the iPhone shot. I realize I was taking it facing the filtered sun but it was such a pretty day and we don’t often get this kind of snow, which looks like it’ll be sticking around for a few day, with a couple more flurry’s to come over the next 48 hours or so. To think that couple of weeks ago it was warm enough that you could almost ride in shorts. Almost. :).
My back deck right now...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

velomane wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:09 pm
I was just lookin at the weather across Canada. Not a single place above zero. This may be normal for Winnipeg, but it must suck for the people in Victoria. Shouldn't the flowers be blooming by now?
Oh, there's lots of flowers. My street is full of massive Rhododenrons covered in pink and red blossoms. Of course they're covered in freaking snow right now. A new bike in the house and it will be at least 4 or 5 days until I can take it for a spin - bummer.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

San Francisco Bay Area meets climate change.

TonyM

by TonyM

Looks great

djcharlou

by djcharlou

wow @tobinhatesyou that 2nd pic is real ?!

basilic

by basilic

Tobin, the one next to last, so nice!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

djcharlou wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 am
wow @tobinhatesyou that 2nd pic is real ?!

Yep, the only post-processing I did was white balance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com