2019...On The Road Today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:43 am
San Francisco Bay Area meets climate change.
I'm not used to seeing a deep section wheelset in the snow. I leave my deep section wheels hanging until the spring/summer arrives. In the winter I only use a mid depth wheelset (Bora 35).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kingtom

by kingtom

In the woods... Image

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TobinHatesYou wrote:

Ah yes, the famous mirror (folks may have to scroll over to the center to see it/you) on the last curve before the summit of Mt. Hamilton.

These pictures, cool as they are, do not suggest anything about climate change hitting the Bay Area. Back in the early 80s, the gift shop was selling post cards showing more snow than that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hamilton_(California)#Climate wrote:These mountains are high enough to receive snowfall in the winter, perhaps up to a dozen times.
Occasionally, when a cold, wet storm comes in from the Gulf of Alaska or Canada, Mt. Hamilton
and the surrounding peaks get significant snowfall. In February 2001, 30 inches (76 cm) of snow fell, and in March 2006,
the peak was left with over a foot (30 cm) of snow in one night.
How was the ride down? I've ridden up and down when there was a lot of snow on the side of the road and wet roads from melting snow. But I never rode there while there was snow on the road.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm not used to seeing a deep section wheelset in the snow. I leave my deep section wheels hanging until the spring/summer arrives. In the winter I only use a mid depth wheelset (Bora 35).

I only swap my deep wheels out for very windy days >15mph sustained with much stronger gusts. I’m not currently going for PBs on climbs >8% either, or I would swap the wheels out for those occasions.

HammerTime2 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/xOvmcYf.jpg
Ah yes, the famous mirror (folks may have to scroll over to the center to see it/you) on the last curve before the summit of Mt. Hamilton.

These pictures, cool as they are, do not suggest anything about climate change hitting the Bay Area. Back in the early 80s, the gift shop was selling post cards showing more snow than that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hamilton_(California)#Climate wrote:These mountains are high enough to receive snowfall in the winter, perhaps up to a dozen times.
Occasionally, when a cold, wet storm comes in from the Gulf of Alaska or Canada, Mt. Hamilton
and the surrounding peaks get significant snowfall. In February 2001, 30 inches (76 cm) of snow fell, and in March 2006,
the peak was left with over a foot (30 cm) of snow in one night.
How was the ride down? I've ridden up and down when there was a lot of snow on the side of the road and wet roads from melting snow. But I never rode there while there was snow on the road.

The climate change comment was partly tongue in cheek, but the winters here are trending wetter and colder. Quoting two notable events from 2001 and 2006 would seem to support this.

Descending was uneventful. By the time I rode down, enough cars had ignored the road closure signs and broken up the sheets of ice on the road. The Caltrans plows came down and passed me again on the way up. They plowed the driveway to the the observatory when I reached the top, and proceeded back down the mountain again.

lacoon

by lacoon

Driving from my place here in Switzerland to the Costa Brava are 1400km... no way i do this by car. We took the plane.
I drove a few times to Girona, Spain. ~800km. But its a bit too early in Januar, there. Last time we had a lot of rain and it was a bit too cold for proper cycling vacations.

Back at home now.

Got my camera back from repairand did a short video

bilwit

by bilwit

snow here in seattle, not the best conditions for 25mm road tires

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Bilwit... seriously? You actually tried taking your bike out, for real, in that slop? Or was it just for a photo op?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Global warming making Christchurch look like Texas:

ms6073

by ms6073

Um, no! As a long time Texas resident, one who has cycled in nearly every part of the state in all 4 seasons, there is no place in Texas that even remotely compares with the wonderful vistas of Christ Church in any season, save for possibly the Pan Handle in the spring.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Fair call, I've never been to Texas, so apologies for any offence caused.

Just thought our current dry look is what I imagine Texas would look like :)

:beerchug:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@Gearjunkie, I think he is giving a compliment - that New Zealand is nice.

And lacoon's last post - for anyone who has not been to Switzerland, watch that video and take a look at the quality of the roads - insane. makes all our discussions about supple tires and tire pressures pointless. Glass smooth most places. I haven't been to Austria, but I've heard as nice or even better.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bilwit wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 pm

snow here in seattle, not the best conditions for 25mm road tires
We got nailed on the Island also. Maybe even more snow then Seattle. Looks like your back wheel is jammed with snow. I was seriously thinking of going out tomorrow but the city of Victoria only has one or two ploughs. It's a joke. My neighbourhood has streets like Pacific Heights in San Francisco. Imagine that with no salt and no snow clearing. I will need all of my 4 wheel drive truck to transport me and my bike to the main roads that are semi cleared. Likely stuck on the Tacx for a while.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

lacoon

by lacoon

Not all roads are clean as the one above ;-)

Today:

Summer:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

So much wow.

Such a wonderful contrast.