2019...On The Road Today

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Gosh that's a beautiful bike. I may have said that already - if so it deserves saying twice anyway!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Like most of the Christchurch peloton it seems, I still can't get enough of our new road, novelty hasn't yet worn off:

Imageaverage salary of a forensic anthropologist

flying

by flying

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm
Gosh that's a beautiful bike. I may have said that already - if so it deserves saying twice anyway!
I 2nd that :thumbup:

It is so nice :beerchug:

flying

by flying

lacoon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm
All your ride shots are excellent & I know this is stationary but.....
What a great shot :thumbup:

The colors of the blueberries & your wife's jersey + sunglasses...Really a great shot

sychen

by sychen

Grey old day in Sydney... Passed this Game of thrones promo piece on way home.. I guess winter really is here! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Leviathan

by Leviathan

lacoon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Im really loving all your photos, can spot where most, but not all, are taken
This one, for example, I think is in Cellar Sa Sini in santa Maria - its where Stephen Roche typically hung out waiting to greet his groups of cycling tourists, and I think he put on about 10 kilos because of all the great cakes there!
Last edited by Leviathan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miller

by Miller

On Saturday I rode the Dirty Reiver, a gravel ride in Kielder Forest, Northumberland. I did it previously in 2016, a very cold edition with snow showers, but came to feel I'd like another crack at it. 2016 was its first year, now in its 4th year it has become a much bigger event with 1200 places spread out over 65km, 130km, 200km and e-bike categories. I entered the 200. The DR has been my main focus for the year to date so it was a big weekend for me.

To avoid a drive on event morning I stayed on-site the night before. There's a little cafe in Kielder Castle and it's fair to say the food is unpretentious. But is was a warm place on a cold evening.

On event morning at 7am the temperature was -4C.

The start at Kielder Castle was busy. There was a 3km neutralised section before the first timing gate.

Even so for the first couple of hours it was pretty much nose to tail traffic on climbs. There's a great deal of climbing on this route, 3450m.

Feed 1 at 45km was busy.

The landscape alternates between open moorland and forest.

By afternoon there was a strong and cold NE wind that was particularly brutal between feed 2 and feed 3. I was glad to be in sheltered wooded sections. It was dry and dusty all day.

There really was a lot of climbing. I had some lower back pain but ibuprofen helped.

Beards are a thing on the gravel scene. Feed 3 at 138km offered potatoes and coffee.

After the 130/200 route split, the ride was much quieter. Kielder is very remote.

OMG I finished, only slightly crazed. I completed in 10hr44 which placed me 283 out of 443 categorised riders. There seemed to have been a lot of non-starters or dropouts or people who opted for a shorter distance on the day. The fastest male was just under 7 hours, fastest female 9hr21.

The chain was burnished bright by dust.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Great photos and story, epic event and epic ride, well done!

:thumbup: :beerchug:

kingtom

by kingtom

Springtime ImageImage

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

ianeire

by ianeire

Some evening mist settling into the Wicklow Mountains, Ireland.

themidge

by themidge

^ That's a really clean winter set-up you've got there :thumbup:. How's the tyre clearance in a caad with mudguards?

ianeire

by ianeire

themidge wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 am
^ That's a really clean winter set-up you've got there :thumbup:. How's the tyre clearance in a caad with mudguards?
Thanks. Not bad actually, though you do have to accept a few compromises on a bike with 2010/2011 geometry when 28's were domain of the hybrid market. Mudguards are Portland Design Works full metal fenders - expensive, but the bike takes on a 45km round trip commute five days a week regardless of the weather. I made do with various versions of Raceblades for a long time before deciding that I needed better coverage, but I'll probably go back to them for the summer months again. The PDW's are only specced for 23's as max clearance but will take some 25's underneath (i.e. not Conti 25's) - I've had Mavic and Lifeline 25's on the rear without issue. So at the moment it's a 23/25 combo. Perfectly fine.

kingtom

by kingtom

And the morning wasn't too bad at all ImageImage

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

Relaxing afternoon.... Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk