2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:34 am
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:03 pm
Why would Movistar want him? To get wins in the ITTs and bolster up their TTT at the Tour? Is Dennis the type of rider to ride tempo on the front for the GC guys the rest of the time?
I can't figure out why he'd want to go to Movistar.... its clear that he prefers that a team is structured and disciplined. Movistar seems all over the place with their tactics and goals.
The already weird and nonsensical strategies typical of Movistar could benefit from a new twist, such as Dennis randomly dropping out of races.. It would make them even more unpredictable!

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

robeambro wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Why would Movistar want him? To get wins in the ITTs and bolster up their TTT at the Tour? Is Dennis the type of rider to ride tempo on the front for the GC guys the rest of the time?
I can't figure out why he'd want to go to Movistar.... its clear that he prefers that a team is structured and disciplined. Movistar seems all over the place with their tactics and goals.
The already weird and nonsensical strategies typical of Movistar could benefit from a new twist, such as Dennis randomly dropping out of races.. It would make them even more unpredictable!

could you tell me how many races has he dropped out of ? and I'm talking about crash/injury outs

robeambro

by robeambro

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 pm
robeambro wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:13 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

could you tell me how many races has he dropped out of ? and I'm talking about crash/injury outs
I was referring to this year’s TdF - if the expression “drop out” doesn’t apply to that, apologies, English isn’t my first language. And anyway, it was a light hearted joke.

ave

by ave

Dennis also left some spanish (basque) tour too, didn't he? Maybe that was planned, can't remember.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ave wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm
Dennis also left some spanish (basque) tour too, didn't he? Maybe that was planned, can't remember.
that was illness... respitory infection.

Multebear

by Multebear

Mads Pedersen Trek salesman. This seems relevant again.

mendiz

by mendiz

If Merida did not pay this article, he was not ill in Basque country race
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/wh ... an-dennis/
spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm
ave wrote:
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mendiz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:10 pm
If Merida did not pay this article, he was not ill in Basque country race
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/wh ... an-dennis/
spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm
ave wrote:
correct my head in thinking grand tour for some reason.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I think this is a good signing by Movistar. They've historically played pick up after a TTT day.

What baffles me the most is Carapaz joining Ineos. They're loaded with talent as usual with Sosa in his 2nd yr next yr.

Me thinks it's purely for $ (I mean, who doesnt want that), but the coast is free in Movistar land now, why not just stay. Oh well, Enric Mas IMO is an exciting rider to watch. Now he wont have to fend for himself in the mountains. He actually has experienced guys to pull him

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe Carapaz is fine to be a highly paid hired gun for Ineos? Don't those guys make like 500K/year? Kwiato, for example, could have been a leader on most other teams and racked up many more major wins but he chose to ride tempo for Froome for a nice paycheck. Maybe some guys like that deal?

I was looking at Rohan Dennis' record on cycling stats. Most of his big wins have been in ITTs. His other wins have been in smaller races. I wonder if he's going to keep targeting ITTs or, at 29, if he's coming into his peak years as a cyclist and wanting to try and win classics, one day races, or grand tour stages.

wingguy

by wingguy

To be fair the Carapaz deal was sorted super early in the season. He may not have known everyone else was leaving Movistar when he was negotiating with Ineos.

And the money, obvs :P As a GT winner he should be getting a lot more than half a mil.

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't know what he's making but my point is that one might make more riding support at Ineos than they will make as a leader on another team. Ineos has a lot of GT winners on the team right now (Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Carapaz). It will be interesting to see how they divide up the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta for those guys.

themidge

by themidge

Well, INEOS rode like a pro-conti team at the Giro and Vuelta this year so with so many 'leaders' they should win all three grand tours in 2020 :D

Antoine

by Antoine

of course it's about money for these riders , who is earning more than a million euro or pounds a year in Ecuador or Colombia ?
A career can be short, and others are not so lucky, for example Teklehaimanot is back to the amateur ranks (thanks to DD and Cofidis) in Martinique (french carribean island) :
https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/75 ... b-francais

roadman

by roadman

https://road.cc/content/review/267218-s ... al-peloton

Haven't read it, but is this Adam Blythe? The quote "track bike with gears" in a Wiggins podcast + Aqua Blue..

by Weenie