2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

Valverde came second on a non aero, rim brake bike.
Pogicar third, similar to valverde
Pogacar was actually on the V3Rs - Colango's aero or aeroish race bike.

In the end he was only 51 seconds ahead of Quintana. On stage 20, he attacked with 40km to go. Certainly the aero frame helped him gain some seconds. I wonder how much of that 51 seconds came from having an aero frame for three weeks versus Quintana's Canyon.

by Weenie

Rondje

by Rondje

jekyll man wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm
At the end of the day you can make your "facts" suit whatever outcome you wish.
Roglic "won" the vuelta in the TT. Is there anything more legally aero than a tt bike, with rim brakes? Rest of the time on a semi aerobike.
Valverde came second on a non aero, rim brake bike.
Pogicar third, similar to valverde.Probably hindered in the tt with his equipment compared to Valverde and Roglic
Quintana, got where he did in 4th, using DQS's aerobike train with disc brakes. Without them he'd be forgotten about.
Lopez fifth, none aero bike (at least i think he was on a galium) rim brakes, but when he went aero (TT, and disc brakes) he went backwards...

Whats it all tell us? Absolutely jacks**t..
And obviously Movistar didnt have an issue running discs and rim brakes, esp when their last domestique was Soler, so couldn't even offer a wheel up in an emergency.
Not true. Roglic that Roglic won it on the tt. He won with 2:33 on Valverde while only gaining 1:33 on Valverde in the TT. Add the time he had to regain after the TTT crash and it's fair to say he won it as much in the mountains as he did on the TT.
But I agree that it doesn't tell us much on what bike riders ride. most of the time they ride behind others and not solo in the lead.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Kwiatkowski's out of WC, guess that doesn't come off as a surprise. what does though, is that he still claims it's the 2018 season he feels in his legs...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Rondje wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Chaves would have saved a lot of time if his entire team was on disc brakes instead of just him.
Or if Chaves was on rim brakes like the rest of his team!

wingguy

by wingguy

robeambro wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Fine, there are exceptions to my statement - some teams give a degree of freedom. However I wouldn’t use Sunweb, where most likely going disc means using the S5 while going rim means R5. So it’s not an apple to apple.
I have no dog in the disc/non-disc fight whatsoever - I’ll just say that if it was up to Cervelo they’d definitely want to see GC riders on the R5 disc, not the R5 rim.

Antoine

by Antoine

bad luck for swiss rider S.Pellaud during the tour du Doubs won by Kung ... and it's his own bike (bought from G.Mader who ride for Dimension data)
https://youtu.be/bs6p2-D306g
https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/77 ... on-pellaud

flying

by flying

Antoine wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:13 pm
bad luck for swiss rider S.Pellaud during the tour du Doubs won by Kung ... and it's his own bike (bought from G.Mader who ride for Dimension data)
Ouch!
Watching the you tube a few times I cannot tell if Stem came off or fork tube snapped below stem
Either way terrible :cry:

jcrr

by jcrr

flying wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 pm
Antoine wrote:
Ouch!
Watching the you tube a few times I cannot tell if Stem came off or fork tube snapped below stem
Looks like steerer tube sheared off at top of head set. I'm frankly surprised it didn't end up worse.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jcrr wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm
flying wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 pm
Antoine wrote:
Ouch!
Looks like steerer tube sheared off at top of head set. I'm frankly surprised it didn't end up worse.
Saved by neat cable routing! :shock:

montana05

by montana05

Went to see the Trofeo Matteotti today in and around Pescara: CCC team was on Sram etap : thought they were sponsored by Shimano?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

montana05 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:09 pm
Went to see the Trofeo Matteotti today in and around Pescara: CCC team was on Sram etap : thought they were sponsored by Shimano?
The CCC men's team has no groupset sponsor, they just bought Shimano groups because that's what Greg and the other riders want given the choice. But the women's CCC-Liv team is sponsored by SRAM. Seeing them on SRAM now might be a hint they'll both be sponsored by SRAM next year and have been given parts to test and familiarize with. GVA is still on Di2 (with disc brakes yesterday) and I doubt he'll risk any changes at Worlds, especially given the higher risk that comes with eTAP.

pastronef

by pastronef

montana05 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:09 pm
that´s the CCC development team. same suppliers ar the women team. so Sram and also same glasses

Roel W

by Roel W

-
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

Jugi

by Jugi

I think it's interesting to follow the paradigm shift that's supposed to be happening inside the pro peloton. The majority of riders should be moving from rim to disc brakes, traditional frames to semi-aero or aero frames and tubulars to tubeless, but so far that transition seems to be highly dependent on team and/or bike sponsor.

This shouldn't be confused with "better" or "worse" equipment, as racing results aren't really dependant on equipment.

by Weenie

Rondje

by Rondje

I hope you all watched the race yesterday because if you look at the price money, it was the main event of the World championships. split into 6 winning the mixed relay gets you more price money than winning the road race on Sunday.
https://twitter.com/DrDoomish/status/11 ... 5346938881