2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

that's because Froomie was out, Kwiato was out of shape, their leader - Thomas - was the worst leader SKINEOS has ever had for TdF.. I bet if Bernal was named a leader from the get go, Brailsford would've set up this team very differently, and having Thomas as a domestique would've changed this race a lot too.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie


nathanong87
Resident master of GIF
Posts: 3327
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 am
Contact:

by nathanong87

DML
Martin
Roglic
WVA
JVE

pretty sick TTT squad.
Anyone living in Russia can help me out source a part? [7/2/19]

Nate ★ Life , my tumblr joint
Instagramz

robeambro
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

by robeambro

Will be curious to see TD on an aero bike - whatever the reason, he's pretty much always gone for the lightweight option while riding Giant (TCR) and Cervelo (R5).

wingguy
Posts: 4283
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:55 am
that's because Froomie was out, Kwiato was out of shape, their leader - Thomas - was the worst leader SKINEOS has ever had for TdF.
That’s a pretty dumb thing to say. The only other leaders they’ve ever had are Wiggins and Froome - and are you seriously saying that the defending champion finishing in second was a worse prospect or performance than Wiggo 2010/2011? If he’d been the only leader Ineos would still have won the Tour.

Can’t see how it’s his fault that Kwiato, Poels etc were disappointing.

AJS914
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

I wonder if Roglic is happy with Dumoulin coming on to the team. Roglic still seems to be on an upward trajectory. It would be a shame if he has to ride for Dumoulin from the get go.

Unless the Tour goes back to including some ridiculously long ITTs I don't see Dumoulin ever winning.

Sapateira
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm

by Sapateira

robeambro wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:26 pm
Will be curious to see TD on an aero bike - whatever the reason, he's pretty much always gone for the lightweight option while riding Giant (TCR) and Cervelo (R5).
Maybe he could ride the Specialissima...but I tink os gonna ride the oltre XR4, because normaly whatever the reason no one rides the Specialissima in Jumbo team.

User avatar
Kjetil
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Hamar, Norway
Contact:

by Kjetil

I guess it's because the XR4 has some aero benefits compared to the Specialissima, doesn't ride like a plank (hello 1st gen Venge) or goes all wobbly at high speeds (S5), and at least with rim brakes it's no problem getting it below 6.8.
Bianchi-Campagnolo
The Specialissima

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

wingguy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:55 am
that's because Froomie was out, Kwiato was out of shape, their leader - Thomas - was the worst leader SKINEOS has ever had for TdF.
That’s a pretty dumb thing to say. The only other leaders they’ve ever had are Wiggins and Froome - and are you seriously saying that the defending champion finishing in second was a worse prospect or performance than Wiggo 2010/2011? If he’d been the only leader Ineos would still have won the Tour.

Can’t see how it’s his fault that Kwiato, Poels etc were disappointing.
well, I stand by my opinion Thomas a.d. 2019 was the worst... errm.. that might not be the right term, perhaps "least strong" suits better here. we can't really know if he'd won without Bernal in the race or out of shape, and even if - let's bear in mind his greatest rivals were Pinot (untill he had to pull out), Kruiswijk (who has TWO proffesional wins) and Alphaville (a "classic guy", without a team, without real GT experience) - hardly the strongest competition, although it made for imho the greatest Tour in recent years...

so yeah, I don't see '19 Thomas beating Wiggo in his prime, Froome (in any given year) or himself from 2018
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

wingguy
Posts: 4283
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm
let's bear in mind his greatest rivals were Pinot (untill he had to pull out), Kruiswijk (who has TWO proffesional wins) and Alphaville (a "classic guy", without a team, without real GT experience) - hardly the strongest competition, although it made for imho the greatest Tour in recent years...

Right, so again Ineos’ leadership was stronger. Ineos went to the Tour with 2 leaders and they both beat every other rider from every other team. Weak leadership wasn’t the reason the team was weak.
so yeah, I don't see '19 Thomas beating Wiggo in his prime, Froome (in any given year) or himself from 2018
But you see 2010 Wiggo beating 2019 Thomas? Pull the other one :lol:

Sapateira
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm

by Sapateira

Kjetil wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm
I guess it's because the XR4 has some aero benefits compared to the Specialissima, doesn't ride like a plank (hello 1st gen Venge) or goes all wobbly at high speeds (S5), and at least with rim brakes it's no problem getting it below 6.8.


Yes for sure you are rigth in all you say, but the oficial reason ( or excuse) is the Oltre give more show to the camara, and I dont know if Dumoulin really want to ride a non aero bike since its could ride the Oltre, but at least they have the choice if they want to continue Ride a "no" aero bike.

More important is the Jumbo tactics and more competion to the GT.

User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

Pretty excited to see what EF will do in the Vuelta.

I expect them to lose a bit of time in the TTT, but they have some pretty serious stage hunting ability in Sergio Higuita, Daniel Martinez and Hugh Carthy.

User avatar
Noctiluxx
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

Kjetil wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm
I guess it's because the XR4 has some aero benefits compared to the Specialissima, doesn't ride like a plank (hello 1st gen Venge) or goes all wobbly at high speeds (S5), and at least with rim brakes it's no problem getting it below 6.8.
A member from Jumbo Visma told me the riders prefer the XR4 due to stiffness which the Specialissima lacks at this years Tour the California.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

User avatar
Kjetil
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Hamar, Norway
Contact:

by Kjetil

Has anyone seen a deflection/force comparison between the two?
I've only ridden the XR4 for say 50 km when it came out. I remember it as feeling harsher than my Specialissima, but there's too many variables.
Bianchi-Campagnolo
The Specialissima

mrlobber
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

Kjetil wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm
I guess it's because the XR4 has some aero benefits compared to the Specialissima, doesn't ride like a plank (hello 1st gen Venge) or goes all wobbly at high speeds (S5), and at least with rim brakes it's no problem getting it below 6.8.
You're talking about S5 rim or also new S5 Disc?
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

by Weenie


robeambro
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

by robeambro

There's plenty of theories, from lack of stiffness to the Specialissima being too light and needing some kind of "ballast" to hit the 6.8kg mark. Ultimately, I find neither of these convincing,

Lack of stiffness: I think that if it were just down to this, we'd see at least *somebody* riding it. I mean, it's not a noodle, it's still a top end race bike.
Too light: well, there's always been plenty of lightweight rim bikes being raced in the pro peloton, not sure why only TJV would have issues with that.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post