2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

Porte only 31 seconds down on Thomas.. would have been in business if he didn't lose all that time in the crosswinds and that awful TTT, Trek has been a huge handicap for him so far
bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:05 pm
Hmmm, impressive, too impressive?
;)

by Weenie

Rob81

by Rob81

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pm
what the heck is going on with the rider from Total Direct Energy? It appears as if he's trying to stuff newspaper into his jersey. I'm pretty sure that yesterday's stage was hot in terms of weather, but it looks like quite a few spectators in the pic have full coats on, maybe it was cold and he's hoping that the newspaper will give some insulation for the descent... :noidea:
[/img]
1,2,3.... Rap*a newspaper at 200£/$/€ for MAMILS on the way.
"never seen that (always a good market) but used by prosssssssssss= get it, now"

Wookski

by Wookski

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm
ave wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm
It seems his skinsuit got caught in the barrier! That pulled his leg back badly... Too bad! Get well, soon!!
Looked like he took too great a risk in that corner and shouldn't have taken such a tight line. The Eurosport commentators were making comments to the effect that the barrier was in the way, as if dozens of riders hadn't already made it around that corner without becoming entagled in the barrier fencing.
Just because nobody else crashed doesn’t mean the barriers are not unsafe. I personally can’t stand the cheap temporary fences with protruding legs- they have contributed to so many injuries. The worst was Valverde’s crash in the TDF prologue a couple of years ago that shattered his kneecap.

Anyway- hopefully WVA has a speedy recovery.

sychen

by sychen

Fun Finish with crazy performance by JaP

Poor WvA... That's scary being caught on the fence like that and coming to a dead stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:24 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm
ave wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm
It seems his skinsuit got caught in the barrier! That pulled his leg back badly... Too bad! Get well, soon!!
Looked like he took too great a risk in that corner and shouldn't have taken such a tight line. The Eurosport commentators were making comments to the effect that the barrier was in the way, as if dozens of riders hadn't already made it around that corner without becoming entagled in the barrier fencing.
Just because nobody else crashed doesn’t mean the barriers are not unsafe. I personally can’t stand the cheap temporary fences with protruding legs- they have contributed to so many injuries. The worst was Valverde’s crash in the TDF prologue a couple of years ago that shattered his kneecap.

Anyway- hopefully WVA has a speedy recovery.
165 of 166 riders made it through that corner safely, with 90 of them doing so prior to WVA. I can only conclude that WVA did something in that corner that the 90 preceding him didn't.

ave

by ave

They do a recon in the morning, it was the same barrier. I can understand that he wanted to carry more speed through the corner than others, but it's called taking a risk.

AJS914

by AJS914

bikewithnoname wrote:
The way he attacked that last super steep climb at the end was incredible. And then after the finish line he does a bmx style side skid, dismounts, and then gives his team a primal yell scream salute instead of collapsing to the ground.

It's all incredibly entertaining but I can't help but thinking that this level of dominance is reminding me of a previous era. He's won around 14 races this year with 30 podiums. He's passed a lot of tests.

TonyM

by TonyM

WvA is young and takes a lot of risk.
He will learn when and how much risk is necessary.

But it is good to have riders who ride with their heart like WvA, Alaphilippe etc...

Froome, Thomas, etc...just ride with their powermeters.

Wookski

by Wookski

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm
165 of 166 riders made it through that corner safely, with 90 of them doing so prior to WVA. I can only conclude that WVA did something in that corner that the 90 preceding him didn't.
So how does that excuse poor barrier design and placement? Just because nobody else crashed out with serious injuries it must be ok.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

And then after the finish line he does a bmx style side skid, dismounts, and then gives his team a primal yell scream salute instead of collapsing to the ground.
I would really have preferred Ala collapsing to the ground, showing signs that he did give everything he had in him.
Not this show, it looked like he didn’t do a TT.
Reminds me of ‘that day’ with Landis. He also looked like he could go on forever.

Grobar

by Grobar

bikewithnoname wrote:
I don’t think so, he already won a few ITT and this course suited him very well. Actually his time is pretty close to De Gendts one, not so impressive ?

TonyM

by TonyM

Crazy from Alaphilippe!
Either he is going to win the TdF or he will have a major collapse in the next days I the mountains.

AJS914

by AJS914

We've all been expecting the major collapse but now I will not be surprised if he is still on the podium at the end.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Daniel1975 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:52 pm
And then after the finish line he does a bmx style side skid, dismounts, and then gives his team a primal yell scream salute instead of collapsing to the ground.
I would really have preferred Ala collapsing to the ground, showing signs that he did give everything he had in him.
Not this show, it looked like he didn’t do a TT.
Reminds me of ‘that day’ with Landis. He also looked like he could go on forever.
You probably should have watched about 45 seconds longer... when he did sit and almost collapse, hlding his head between his legs, as the soignors tried to keep the reporters from mobbing him. It looked to me like the adrenaline was pumping after he crossed the finish line.. I'm sure he had the directors yelling into his ear that he was on time to win and he was flying high, knowing that he gave everything and it was successful and then once the effort stopped, it took a miunte or two to catch up with him.

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:We've all been expecting the major collapse but now I will not be surprised if he is still on the podium at the end.
Being on the podium or winning the TdF is a major difference...especially for a French rider...

Riding with his heart like he does is however what all French like.
They just dislike the way Froome or Thomas ride.