2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

ave

by ave

While today it was very exciting racing, I don't like the end result. Pinot "deserved" better. I know, it's a race, but still, it's hopeless now.

by Weenie

spartan

by spartan

why is it over. Pinot and all the rest must attack constantly in the mountains. i am not convinced Thomas can climb in the high mountains . will see on thurdays brutal stage.
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

ichobi

by ichobi

The guy won two mountain top stage last year. Barely any what we call the gc contender can claim what he did, not to mention the win of course. Seeing the form so far I am not even convinced the rest can touch Ineos. Not that I am a fan but boy do they look strong.

Porte survived stage 9 just to get steamrolled on not even a mountain stage.

Bardet is on and off. So is Pinot.
Fulgsang lost too much time.

May be Quintana and Kreuijswik could do something but already shipped massive time. The tt has not even begin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

I'm getting more and more confident in Alaphilippe as the stages go by. He's shown he can sprint, ride hard on the flat in the wind (which bodes well for the ITT), and ride with the leaders on a stage with successive (and properly big) mountains to La Planche des Belles Filles. Given his performance winning the KOM jersey last year I don't see why he can't do what he did up the road in mountain breakaways last year except since he won't be sprinting for points at the tops of the climbs, he won't blow up on the final climb like last year.

bilwit

by bilwit

ave wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:54 am
While today it was very exciting racing, I don't like the end result. Pinot "deserved" better. I know, it's a race, but still, it's hopeless now.
ichobi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:25 am
The guy won two mountain top stage last year. Barely any what we call the gc contender can claim what he did, not to mention the win of course. Seeing the form so far I am not even convinced the rest can touch Ineos. Not that I am a fan but boy do they look strong.

May be Quintana and Kreuijswik could do something but already shipped massive time. The tt has not even begin.

Exactly this. I think it's pretty much over now. There were no real big gaps made in the mountains last year. No one was able to break the Sky train. At best we were looking at a sprint finish in the last 100m between GC leaders with Thomas taking it every time. Surely they will all ship another minute in the TT as well.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ichobi wrote:The guy won two mountain top stage last year. Barely any what we call the gc contender can claim what he did, not to mention the win of course. Seeing the form so far I am not even convinced the rest can touch Ineos. Not that I am a fan but boy do they look strong.

As far as I can tell, the highest point of the 2018 Tour was almost half a vertical mile lower than that of this year’s race.

I’m fairly certain that’s what he meant when he said “high mountains”; most summit finishes or climbs in the Tour last year were low in comparison to this year’s course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jugi

by Jugi

themidge wrote:I'm getting more and more confident in Alaphilippe as the stages go by. He's shown he can sprint, ride hard on the flat in the wind (which bodes well for the ITT), and ride with the leaders on a stage with successive (and properly big) mountains to La Planche des Belles Filles. Given his performance winning the KOM jersey last year I don't see why he can't do what he did up the road in mountain breakaways last year except since he won't be sprinting for points at the tops of the climbs, he won't blow up on the final climb like last year.
Although he has looked like being closely matched to Pinot, riding and racing changes considerably when they go for over 10km/6ml climbs which summit close to 2000m/6000ft above sea level. Proper climbers will fight amongst themselves, rest will try to survive. But I do hope he defends his position as long as possible.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

I don’t like the whole Ineos thing. If your #1 rider drops out (froome), you have #2-3 ready to take over. Way to much budget IMHO.
And Bernal now at this age already being this good, I’m very afraid the Sky/ineos show continues for several years.
I do hope for a big day off for the team, otherwise it’s all set and done.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How much time will Bernal drop in the ITT? Add that to G hitting the deck like he has in the past who would be next on the list to take the Yellow off Julian?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Grobar

by Grobar

Viviani's reaction is epic :D

rainerhq

by rainerhq

"WTF are you doing? I´m the sprinter here."
Domane
Speed Concept
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KB

by KB

Beware cross winds and especially when quick-step start riding. that was exemplified with the stage to St Amand Montrond in 2013 when Cav won from a 15 man break with Contador applying the pressure also. one of my favourite ever stages in the TDF with loads of echelons. Valverde lost 10 minutes that day and i think Froome also lost some time. Clearly some riders yesterday failed to grasp the problems of not being at the front.

The person who i n my opinion makes it tick for Ineos is Luke Rowe. He's brilliant at reading situations.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:05 pm
How massively epic would it be if the Overall Classification on the final day came down to the final sprint on the Champs-Élysées.
That would be pretty crazy but it's never happened on the Champs to my recollection. Back in 1947 the final stage ran from Rouen to the Parc des Princes in Paris. Jean Robic was lying third on gc to Brambilla. Robic attacked half way through the stage on a 2km hill. Brambilla initially went with Robic and another Frenchman but was dropped afterward. Robic made it to the Parc des Princes with a 13 min gap to Brambilla and won the Tour. And funnily enough, Robic completed the whole race in a time that was 3m32s longer than his breakaway contender, Fachleitner, but won the overall gc due to time bonuses he picked up in the Pyrenean stages!

Sean Kelly lost the green jersey in 1984 in the final sprint on the Champs Elysees to the Belgian Frank Hoste. Kelly did only wear the green jersey on that final stage in 1984 since Hoste had been the leader in that competition for the bulk of the '84 Tour so maybe Hoste was the rightful winner in the end.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Cyppen wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Apparently this bike was run over by the official course car.

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: Ineos - I don't know if they are THAT strong again this year. so far, they haven't really showed it, for instance Kwiato's pulls don't seem to be as devastating as they used to be... they still have a full team of strong, road-smart and dedicated riders, but not necessarilly dominant. of course we'll see what's what pretty soon now. one minute difference doesn't really make this race already won - especially given we don't really know what to expect from Alphaville, do we. and as Nefarious said - one crash, one sloppy ITT and Ineos' leaders are down there with the rest of the "favourites".

I suppose thursday will reveal much as to who's who this year. it's gonna be a first real test for Ala and QS, and a first chance to set up that USPS train. of course tomorrow won't be a walk in a park either - if it's windy, it's another GC day. we're now further from Paris than in any other recent Tour at this stage.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.