2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm
re: Trek - IMHO they should throw everything at Ciccone now. it's their one and only chance for few days in yellow and perhaps a Top 5 GC. if Movi burned Valv yesterday (I'm still wondering why...) then it's more than obvious someone as under-titled as Porte can be made into a domestique.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that helluva steep finish though - it's just that no one's really prepared for that kind of thing and I don't think it's a very good indicator of who's in form and who's not. besides a crazy sprint in those last 200-300 meters could cost more later on than this handful of seconds.

and last thing - Pinot looks good. I'd love this guy to win :thumbup:
I think Ciccone may want to go for the polka dot, and given his surprisingly good form despite the Giro, he could actually have a shot at bringing it home. Considering Ciccone has never been a GC rider and is not good at TT's, I think Trek should rather leave him do his thing, which is breakaways and KOM's.
except for no one is gonna let Ciccone ride off in a breakaway now, so there goes his polka dot...
All the HC climbs and the most points will be awarded later on, when Ciccone will most likely have already lost any sighting to the Top 10 GC. He can choose to lose half an hour in todays stage if he wants to.

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

what are you talking about - first of all, he's the freakin leader. he's got the most important piece of cycling apparel on his back, and you're telling him to deliberately lose time? :lol: he's got nearly a minute over Ineos boys, even more on rest of main contenders - that gives him a fighting chance to remain in maillot jeune for a couple more stages... and then god knows what might happen. who'd willingly give it up for riding in breakaways?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Vagabond
Location: Washington State with brief stays in the Great Plains

by Vagabond

flying wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 am
Ahhh ok thanks :thumbup:

Never seen one as I have always been a rollers person :wink:
I use rollers as well. This design seems odd. It can't be very good for carbon rim's longevity. Something pro teams don't really have to concern themselves with.
Colnago e Campagnolo

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm
what are you talking about - first of all, he's the freakin leader. he's got the most important piece of cycling apparel on his back, and you're telling him to deliberately lose time? :lol: he's got nearly a minute over Ineos boys, even more on rest of main contenders - that gives him a fighting chance to remain in maillot jeune for a couple more stages... and then god knows what might happen. who'd willingly give it up for riding in breakaways?
Trek has pretty much had an uneventful year... they have to be loving this yellow jersey

robeambro

by robeambro

tymon_tm wrote:
I'm not saying he will do it NOW that he is in yellow. Once he's not in yellow anymore, he will surely lose ground on purpose on a flat-finish stage, so that then he will be granted freedom to go on a breakaway.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Vagabond wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 pm
flying wrote:

I use rollers as well. This design seems odd. It can't be very good for carbon rim's longevity. Something pro teams don't really have to concern themselves with.
It's not designed to be attached to the wheel, normally it goes on the handlebar.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Vagabond wrote:
flying wrote:

It's not designed to be attached to the wheel, normally it goes on the handlebar.
exactly... remember H11/ Hwhatever bars are aero and not round... so it sits on the wheel much nicer

AJS914

by AJS914

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:21 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
I'm not saying he will do it NOW that he is in yellow. Once he's not in yellow anymore, he will surely lose ground on purpose on a flat-finish stage, so that then he will be granted freedom to go on a breakaway.

I think he will hold on for dear life to that jersey until he can no longer hold on. He could end up on the podium. Even a 3rd place is a huge deal for a young rider.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Anyone see Caleb Ewan's rear wheel bouncing up and down in the final 30 mts of the sprint today? I wonder if his far forward position compromises the handling of the bike. With the margin with which he lost today, having his rear wheel in the air where power cannot be used in forward propulsion probably cost him the win. Then again, if he adopts a more orthodox sprint position his aero advantage evaporates and he's not as fast...

Jugi

by Jugi

Rear wheels skipping, bouncing and skidding around under the best sprinters happens regularly on gently sloping finishes. I can remember Sagan's bike doing the same on a couple occasions. Sprinters with a track background (Viviani, Cavendish) seem to usually have a cleaner technique in this regard.

However, it did look like Ewan did try to over achieve in that situation but what else could he have done? It would be fun to find out the top three's 5s average power just before the line.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Jugi wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Rear wheels skipping, bouncing and skidding around under the best sprinters happens regularly on gently sloping finishes. I can remember Sagan's bike doing the same on a couple occasions. Sprinters with a track background (Viviani, Cavendish) seem to usually have a cleaner technique in this regard.

However, it did look like Ewan did try to over achieve in that situation but what else could he have done? It would be fun to find out the top three's 5s average power just before the line.
Agreed - I have seen it before but I found it especially notable today since his was the only one that I could see doing it.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm
Jugi wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Agreed - I have seen it before but I found it especially notable today since his was the only one that I could see doing it.
It might be worse for Ewan as he's smaller and lighter than most, smaller rear triangle might be slightly stiffer plus he has less weight on the rear wheel so it could bounce a bit more.

robeambro

by robeambro

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:21 pm
tymon_tm wrote:

I think he will hold on for dear life to that jersey until he can no longer hold on. He could end up on the podium. Even a 3rd place is a huge deal for a young rider.
As an Italian I would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think he can manage to make the podium. We’ll see.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've noticed Ewan doing that quite often... I've seen other do it as well, including Viviani, but usually only in bad weather. I think Ewan's position in the sprint deifnitely exaggerates it.

by Weenie

flying

by flying

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Vagabond wrote:
flying wrote:

Hahah yes that much I knew....but when I first saw it sitting there I was not sure what it was for...tool or? etc