2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Stitchking wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 am
Has anyone filled out the uci's questionnaire about policy changes moving forward?

A lot of the questions seemed designed to channel the taker into agreeing that budgets should be restricted to make racing more exciting.

Will be interesting to see if they make some moves on the likes of team ineos

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Half the questions felt like they related to team budgets. Then a bit of focus on radios, displayimg more data on screen. Big theme was wanting to make pro racing more exciting. Interesting to see what the UCI is thinking about.

by Weenie

mentok

by mentok

Are Ineos smart enough to have sent Thomas to sneak a few seconds so that when they eventually get the yellow it falls on experienced shoulders? Or was Bernal just playing it safe / at his limit?

Jugi

by Jugi

I'd say it would be very hard trying to orchestrate a place switch in the general glassification while racing full gas up a >20% climb on gravel. Most likely ALL riders were at their limit coming to the line, because that's their job. Maybe the final climb suited Thomas' abilities better, as he has demonstrated a punchy capability every once in a while.

Thomas lost five seconds to Bernal on stage 3, now got nine seconds back. They are very closely matched.

How about Ciccone? Carrying on where he left off in the Giro. Playing it smart, he might just stick with the GC contenders all the way to week three.

ichobi

by ichobi

Ciccone is extremely impressive. The question will be whether or not he want to chase for the KOM jersey. This is also complicating the matter of helping his leaders. Which of these guys are they giving priority too? Ciccone certainly looks more impressive than his leader.

wingguy

by wingguy

jever98 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 am
I was wondering: do the roads get swept before a stage? Some smaller mountain passes tend to have a lot of gravel on them.
Well, in this case it was finishing on an actual gravel road...

RimClencher

by RimClencher

I'm expecting the day might come when they switch to a gravel bike at the start of the final climb. That could be fun.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

20% gravel climbs suit those that climb seated, if you stand you end up wheel-spinning, so maybe whilst the gradient wouldn't normally suit Thomas, the way he climbs actually gave him a little edge (plus the lightweight wheels of course)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

Jugi

by Jugi

ichobi wrote:Ciccone is extremely impressive. The question will be whether or not he want to chase for the KOM jersey. This is also complicating the matter of helping his leaders. Which of these guys are they giving priority too? Ciccone certainly looks more impressive than his leader.
Yes, it will be very interesting to see whether Trek-Segafredo's ambitions have changed over night and they decide to assume the GC leader's position on today's long haul to Chalon-sur-Saône. As they haven't had a very positive season, they might just try to hold on to the yellow if it's at all possible. They are leading the team classification as well.

Antoine

by Antoine

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 pm
I was surprised that Bernal wasn't more explosive at the top.
I was also surprised that Pinot wasn't more aggressive...
Thomas was the first to attack to stamp his autority, Bernal was not going to chase him and I don't think he could
FDJ was waiting for other teams to work, big mistake I think.
They should have worked with Kasper Asgreen, when he was riding in front for ages and not gaining time on the break. The riders in the break didn't have to go too fast and where not too tired at the end. Greipel could even stay quite a long time in the break despite the numerous climbs.

Antoine

by Antoine

finishing the stage in style :

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: Trek - IMHO they should throw everything at Ciccone now. it's their one and only chance for few days in yellow and perhaps a Top 5 GC. if Movi burned Valv yesterday (I'm still wondering why...) then it's more than obvious someone as under-titled as Porte can be made into a domestique.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that helluva steep finish though - it's just that no one's really prepared for that kind of thing and I don't think it's a very good indicator of who's in form and who's not. besides a crazy sprint in those last 200-300 meters could cost more later on than this handful of seconds.

and last thing - Pinot looks good. I'd love this guy to win :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

robeambro

by robeambro

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm
re: Trek - IMHO they should throw everything at Ciccone now. it's their one and only chance for few days in yellow and perhaps a Top 5 GC. if Movi burned Valv yesterday (I'm still wondering why...) then it's more than obvious someone as under-titled as Porte can be made into a domestique.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that helluva steep finish though - it's just that no one's really prepared for that kind of thing and I don't think it's a very good indicator of who's in form and who's not. besides a crazy sprint in those last 200-300 meters could cost more later on than this handful of seconds.

I think Ciccone may want to go for the polka dot, and given his surprisingly good form despite the Giro, he could actually have a shot at bringing it home. Considering Ciccone has never been a GC rider and is not good at TT's, I think Trek should rather leave him do his thing, which is breakaways and KOM's.

otnemem

by otnemem

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 pm
Now that the peloton isn't being doped you see more of a level playing field. Everybody is at their limit and riding pretty much at the same level. It makes a less exiciting race to watch for sure :D
:lol:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I think Ciccone may want to go for the polka dot, and given his surprisingly good form despite the Giro, he could actually have a shot at bringing it home. Considering Ciccone has never been a GC rider and is not good at TT's, I think Trek should rather leave him do his thing, which is breakaways and KOM's.
except for no one is gonna let Ciccone ride off in a breakaway now, so there goes his polka dot...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

mendiz

by mendiz

The update is 24 mm wide instead 20 mm, last year.
Roel W wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am
otnemem wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am
That's the question. Well known science answers some questions that, to me, raises other questions:
- They'll be climbing a lot tomorrow and according to them the choice is dictated by the usefulness in stages like these.
- Aero/drafting still matters even up climbs unless you're climbing below 15km/h.
- Rotational weight makes no difference other than coming from a standstill.
- Rolling resistance means real watts being wasted with narrower hoops.

Are they incapable of getting to 6.8Kg on their Xlight frames and C40 wheels? This is the question I'd have have an answer to, right now.
Those Lightweight wheels are also quite 'outdated' (narrow rims, V-shaped rim,...). When was the last update of these wheels? I remember Lance Armstrong using them and that's 20 years ago.
If weight and rotational weight is important, why not using Lightweight Gipfelsturm (formerly known as Ventoux) at 440g +475g (Meilenstein tubular 20C = 475g + 630g) or Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 C40 wheels (lower profile carbon fibre rims, lighter as C60 but not as light as Lightweight)?
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.