2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stitchking

by Stitchking

TonyM wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:37 am

ImageImage De Gendt shows that he has also humour ! Image

Don't forget:
https://twitter.com/DeGendtThomas/statu ... 6451036160
On his bike?
Yup. Stage 10 of the giro just been.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 pm

I agree that the top level is so minute that any small thing could reduce potential performance.... but I'm also consistently blown away by the ability of top athletes to overcome injuries that normally change the lives of normal humans. I think that, in part, is something that seperates them and makes them such spectacular athletes.. their ability to recover from sportin efforts can be seen in their ability to recover from injury. They also have access to the best doctors and recovery methods and technologies because of their wealth. I'm sure that Ineos (still want to call them Sky) will make sure he has the best treatment available.
Herman Maier comes to mind - shattered his leg in a moto accident, and risked losing it completely. it was so bad he reportedly had to learn to walk again... and when his leg *healed* and he started training again to come back to racing, he broke it again.... one year or so later (and more than two years after the accident) he' won some WC medals, Crystal Globe etc.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

New Cube aero bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 am
Pierre86 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 am

Pretty sure the UCI has stepped in an mandated a 60mm maximum for racing which is why you don't see a deeper wheel for TTs

There is no such rule. The UCI approved wheel list has many wheels much deeper than 60mm...at least one as deep as 95mm.
I'm with you Tobin.... if a rule like that exists, it is news to me. In fact, I'm sure it's not true because the Specialized riders will use a CLX64 on the front. It is true that you don't often see the pro's use deeper wheels but I think that really comes down to the wheels sponsor for the team. A few of the teams are sponsored by Shimano (Giant Sunweb/Mitchelton Scott/CCC maybe). I beleive thier deepest current wheel is a 60. I don't think they make a solid rear disc, so thier teams are already using non-standard rear wheels... imagine if they were also choosing someone else's front wheel. It wouldn't be good for sponsor relations. UAE and Lotto are on Campy wheels. Katusha is on Zipp wheels....pretty sure that riders alternate between 808/404/454/858 on front depending on conditions. Dimension Data is on Enve? is that still correct?

Hard to tell for sure from this photo, but it looks like Campanaerts is definitely deeper than 60mm. He's on Campy wheels.

Nibali is on deep wheels at the Giro.

galr1

by galr1

Campenaerts is on a WTO 77, rim depth clue is in the name :-)
No limit on the front wheel depth from the uci, you are free to run a front disc in TTs if you want...
Of course the wheels for mass start races need to be specificly approved if they are over 25mm and there aren't many over 60mm on the list.

TonyM

by TonyM

galr1 wrote:Campenaerts is on a WTO 77, rim depth clue is in the name :-)
No limit on the front wheel depth from the uci, you are free to run a front disc in TTs if you want...
Of course the wheels for mass start races need to be specificly approved if they are over 25mm and there aren't many over 60mm on the list.
Do you have a link of the list?

guyc

by guyc

More Trek/SRAM shenanigans today with Ryan Mullen losing his chain at the Belgian Tour ITT with 400m to go and losing by 4s, ending up coming in 5th.

Wookski

by Wookski

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 pm
Do you have a link of the list?
Plenty of wheels > 80mm

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... f00368f_98

smartyiak

by smartyiak

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 pm
Hard to tell for sure from this photo, but it looks like Campanaerts is definitely deeper than 60mm. He's on Campy wheels.

Since everyone has a placed exacting standards on the sock-height rule, is there some rule regarding helmet/forehead location?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

smartyiak wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 pm
Since everyone has a placed exacting standards on the sock-height rule, is there some rule regarding helmet/forehead location?
Victor and Tao Geoghegan Hart are both styled by Ivan Basso! :mrgreen:

spud

by spud

Image[/quote]

[/quote]

While standard socks are purely an aethetic consideration, I imagine his helmet position has been objectively determined via time in the wind tunnel. Subjectively, it looks good to me - doesn't have to crane his head to high to keep the tail close to his neck/upper back. And if he drops his head for a moment, the tail is not sticking way the hell up in the air.

gravity

by gravity

This is borderline a TT bike!
DartanianX wrote:New Cube aero bike

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Pierre86 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 am
Pretty sure the UCI has stepped in an mandated a 60mm maximum for racing which is why you don't see a deeper wheel for TTs
which UCI :D
Domane
Speed Concept
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:37 am

ImageImage De Gendt shows that he has also humour ! Image

Don't forget:
https://twitter.com/DeGendtThomas/statu ... 6451036160
:D :lol: :beerchug:

by Weenie

robeambro

by robeambro

DartanianX wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm
New Cube aero bike

Trek: We have the biggest and more noticeable branding on our bikes!

Cube: Hold my beer.