2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

sfo423 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am
On to Belgium. Aero as elbows.

That are aero handlebars! :mrgreen:

Wookski

by Wookski

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 am
Brailford has added Froome also fractured his hip on top of the other fractures.
The femur was an open fracture which increases the severity of the injury. Femur, hip, elbow, ribs, intensive care- what a bloody awful accident.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 pm
jasjas wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm
With broken femur, wrist and elbow, i doubt he gives a fcuk.

He obviously felt it was safe to ride one handed, so v unlucky.
Toward the end of his career, i wonder if he'll come back from this.
I'm sure top pros can go on until their 40's, so he can come back from it. More the question is how competitive you can really be in your late 30's. Can someone really love cycling enough to go from team leader to a supportive role, I doubt many can. Recovery time, maybe six months. On current form he still seems very competitive so I would say I should carry on until the end of 2021 or 2022. Depends how much he loves the lifestyle and his passion to compete, something only he can answer. But surely there's another two or three seasons of good form if he wants them.
Based on your inside knowledge of the specifics of this crash is it? Or your extensive experience treating crash victims of this type?

Or just wild speculation?

mattr

by mattr

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:03 am

WVA in the form of his life this year?
Nah, just getting started.
Give it a couple of years and there won't be anything that either WVA or MVdP haven't either won or are considered a serious contender.

Unless they get bored and go back to CX

maquisard

by maquisard

Wookski wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:26 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 am
Brailford has added Froome also fractured his hip on top of the other fractures.
The femur was an open fracture which increases the severity of the injury. Femur, hip, elbow, ribs, intensive care- what a bloody awful accident.
That is indeed an extremely nasty and potentially career ending injury. Long bone fractures leave you never quite the same as you are before, the hip involvement makes it even more concerning. Poor guy, wouldn't wish that on anyone :(

Lewn777

by Lewn777

guyc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 am
Lewn777 wrote:
jasjas wrote:

I'm sure top pros can go on until their 40's, so he can come back from it. More the question is how competitive you can really be in your late 30's. Can someone really love cycling enough to go from team leader to a supportive role, I doubt many can. Recovery time, maybe six months. On current form he still seems very competitive so I would say I should carry on until the end of 2021 or 2022. Depends how much he loves the lifestyle and his passion to compete, something only he can answer. But surely there's another two or three seasons of good form if he wants them.
Based on your inside knowledge of the specifics of this crash is it? Or your extensive experience treating crash victims of this type?

There's people on this thread speculating the end of Froomie's career, but you're taking me to task? One of my friends had very similar sounding injuries when he was hit by car on his moto, made a full recovery, but he wasn't a pro cyclist.
Yes just wild speculation from me on the positive. Seems you prefer negativity.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

guyc

by guyc

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

Just wild speculation based on normal parameters riders, careers and injuries. You seem to be taking it personally. Sorry if I upset you Mr Froome.
So just wild speculation. Thanks for clarifying.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

anyone remembers Beloki's nasty crash? his injuries were pretty similar (elbow, ribs, thigh) and he never really came back

it's the saddest way to end one's career, we can only hope he's getting the best possible treatment. but even then, everyone reacts differently, and there's this piece of jely in your head that might not feel as confident as before, even if pshysically you're *fully* recovered
Last edited by tymon_tm on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

guyc

by guyc

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am
anyone remembers Beloki's nasty crash? his injuries were pretty similar (elbow, ribs, thigh)
Indeed - one that's been on my mind. I think he did his hip as well? He never came back did he, or was never the same rider. That was melting tarmac wasn't it, and Armstrong off-roading.

guyc

by guyc

Lewn777 wrote:
guyc wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:
jasjas wrote:

There's people on this thread speculating the end of Froomie's career, but you're taking me to task? One of my friends had very similar sounding injuries when he was hit by car on his moto, made a full recovery, but he wasn't a pro cyclist.
You're right and it was unfair of me to single you out. My apologies.

Wookski

by Wookski

guyc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Wait what? An apology on the pro thread? It has been a very strange week.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

guyc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am
Lewn777 wrote:
guyc wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:

I'll try to tone the speculation, none of us have a clue. I'm hoping he can come back next season.

IchDien

by IchDien

Feel sorry for Froome - terribly unlucky. He would have surely been more motivated than ever to get on this list of five wins.

They say he caught the wind on his front wheel...is it usually standard practice to do a recon lap with such deep rims or? I can see it would make sense but also quite risky surely.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Injury like this can lead to postural imbalance, lack of flexibility and long term pain.
It can be hard to get flexibility back, postural imbalance can be impossible to correct and the same with pain.
Regardless of how hard he trains if pain prevents him working to his full capacity or 1% off he won’t be the same.
At this stage it is all guess work but in the majority of cases there will be some long term pain and nerve damage.
Fine in every day life, it’s manageable. As a pro athlete in a sport like cycling it can end a career.
Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Well given he was riding all crooked before, he may comeback with his elbows in, head straight, stylish and all! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com