2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

flying wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:57 pm
kgt wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pm
Bad luck for Roglic... Why did he change bike?
After hitting an armco guardrail on descent with carbon bike probably a good idea regardless :wink:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/39731
he changed bike before that

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

flying wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:57 pm
kgt wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pm
Bad luck for Roglic... Why did he change bike?
After hitting an armco guardrail on descent with carbon bike probably a good idea regardless :wink:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/39731
That crash was AFTER the bike change which happened at around 18km to go. I guess it was the quickest option on that narrow descent, maybe not a puncture either. Antwan Tolhoek had time to walk back up quite a way while waiting for a new bike so it was probably a good move not to wait the support car. Not being on his own bike could be the reason he crashed though, bikes must have close to the same size (Roglic is 1m77, Tolhoek 1m78) but in the heat of action when you're getting dropped, stressed, it doesn't take much difference in setup to throw you off your comfort zone.

Roglic got a 200CHF fine for a slightly long sticky bottle after the bike switch.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Sun May 26, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

Ah thanks bilwit & Dan....bike swap was before armco hit.....I have not seen a full highlight video yet
Looking forward to it.

If then he had that crash + a bike swap I guess he did quite well limiting loss today

Will be interesting to watch next stage on Tuesday even without Gavia

I did see that sticky bottle hand off too....just seemed like getting some info from DS more than a prolonged tow.
But at least just a 200CHF fine & not a time penalty

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Apparently, Jumbo-Visma's 1st car had stopped for a nature break at 25km to go.... so they were way back, almost impossible to overtake on that road! :mrgreen:

Mep

by Mep

This Giro has been quite eventful for sure. Can Carapaz hold on? Or is he going to repeat what Yates did last year. Conversely, is Yates doing his best Froome impression? At this time last year, Yates had won the stage, had the pink jersey, and Froome was 5 mins down - we all know how that eventually turned out. Interestingly this time around Yates is 5m24s down, can't help but notice the similarities.

As of right now though Nibali is looking like his best in years, but something unexpected always happens after the rest day so we'll just have to wait and see.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Mep wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:21 pm
This Giro has been quite eventful for sure. Can Carapaz hold on? Or is he going to repeat what Yates did last year. Conversely, is Yates doing his best Froome impression? At this time last year, Yates had won the stage, had the pink jersey, and Froome was 5 mins down - we all know how that eventually turned out. Interestingly this time around Yates is 5m24s down, can't help but notice the similarities.

As of right now though Nibali is looking like his best in years, but something unexpected always happens after the rest day so we'll just have to wait and see.
Other similarity, Yates also has a TUE for asthma, no idea if it's real asthma or the same kind as Froome though.

Nibali is looking like a good bet right now. Experienced, smart tactician be it planning in advance or on the fly as he reads the race and he usually is at his best late in Grand Tours. He's still behind but, he's looking sharp right now. But, Carapaz is looking quite strong too.

Grand Tours can sure be interesting when Sky/Ineos are racing like the Pro-Conti teams.

bilwit

by bilwit

Mep wrote:

I'm getting more of a 2017 Tour vibe. Roglic has shown vulnerability but none of this will matter when he puts a few minutes in them in the TT

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The final TT is only 15.6 km and with a climb, he won't put a few minutes on the others, well, not on every others. Jumbo-Visma's DS was saying he would be comfortable being a minute back on Carapaz, 30 seconds on Nibali, not more. TTs on the last day of grand tours do not always give the best time trialists such big margins if they are tired and Roglic has been in superb form since UAE Tour, he must be closer to fade than Nibali and Carapaz.... Obviously a lot can happen until then too with the stages that are coming up.

Rob81

by Rob81

Mep wrote:
Conversely, is Yates doing his best Froome impression?
A castrated Stage 16 is not helping

ave

by ave

Wow, If Roglic wins this Giro after today, that will be quite a big win! Such an interesting race!! Love it!

AJS914

by AJS914

Roglic has an interesting fit. His aero profile and flat back are impressive. His arms seem almost seem perpdendicular to the ground at times where as Nibali is super stretched out.

bilwit

by bilwit

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:56 pm
The final TT is only 15.6 km and with a climb, he won't put a few minutes on the others, well, not on every others. Jumbo-Visma's DS was saying he would be comfortable being a minute back on Carapaz, 30 seconds on Nibali, not more. TTs on the last day of grand tours do not always give the best time trialists such big margins if they are tired and Roglic has been in superb form since UAE Tour, he must be closer to fade than Nibali and Carapaz.... Obviously a lot can happen until then too with the stages that are coming up.
He put 20-40s into everyone in only 8km in Stage 1. A minute into Nibali in Stage 9 which had a longer climb and uphill finish. Out of the three TTs the last one suits him the most. He could fade by then, but like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if this shaped out to be a lot like the 2017 Tour. Pretty close the whole way, Froome looking a little vulnerable at times, then ending with a final TT where he comfortably seals the deal.

Mep

by Mep

bilwit wrote: I'm getting more of a 2017 Tour vibe. Roglic has shown vulnerability but none of this will matter when he puts a few minutes in them in the TT
Perhaps, but I'm with Dan Gerous in thinking that's there's not a huge amount of time to be gained in the final TT. And in 2017, Froome was in the lead going into the TT. That means he got to go last, was in good form and confident which makes a difference in an ITT.

flying

by flying

I have been very impressed by Roglic
Reminds me a lot of Indurain

Not just because of time trialing ability & just hanging tough in mountains but more so his
interviews...He gives nothing away & seems quite polite/humble. Refuses to be drawn into petty
comments by others & lets his legs do the talking will make a good grand tour assassin :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 pm
Roglic has an interesting fit. His aero profile and flat back are impressive. His arms seem almost seem perpdendicular to the ground at times where as Nibali is super stretched out.

He's actually got a short-to-average torso, but a nice flat back and extreme back angle increases his effective reach. Apparently he uses 110mm stem, so "short" by pro rider standards. His saddle height is 73.5cm...I'd say that's on the high side of average for someone 5'9.5" My goodness that drop though.

^ As a extreme example, this is what an even longer effective torso and slightly shorter inseam looks like. I'm 5'10" using a 130mm stem, but my saddle height is only 71.7mm. That results in very bent elbows and a very low slung position in the drops. My head is past the tops in this position. It makes for interesting handling, that's for sure. Pay no attention to my clown feet.