2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
LouisN
Posts: 2735
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Location: Canada

by LouisN

Now where did DJConnel go.... ?
He would publish a graphic with correlation between race wins and bicycles's "aero-ness"..... :lol:

Louis :)

by Weenie


CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:33 pm
According to Ridley, yes.
See the comparative tests, see the exact setup of the bikes, do your calculations and you will realise that Ewan's Noah has (in theory) almost 20watts more drag than Viviani's or Ackermann's Venge. Still Noah won againt 'physics'.
I am provocative of course. What I am saying is that all those who think that they can 'calculate' which bike is faster can often be very far from reality.
This argument is totally rediculous... Your argument is that people that support aero bikes think that the aero bike negates any and all differences in the rest of the total package... i.e if I give me grandma a Venge she'll beat me if I'm on a Tarmac. That's so simplified and no one has ever said that. When people look and compare bikes, they're doing so based on the argument that all other variables are equal.. i.e. if I'm riding two different bikes, I'm in same position, same power, same weather, etc... which is faster? Granted that doesn't represent all of the aspects that go into racing. Aero matters, it is a fact. Ask Caleb Ewan 1000 times which bike he'd prerfer to ride, I guarantee you, he'd choose the one that is most aero every single time, that's why he's on the Noah and not the Helium.

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:20 pm

And according to you, anything you dribble is gospel.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
lol for a second there I wanted to report this post, but then realised it would be reported back to you...

looks like forum standards don't apply to all of us evenly, or do they?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 7824
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:46 pm
kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:33 pm
According to Ridley, yes.
See the comparative tests, see the exact setup of the bikes, do your calculations and you will realise that Ewan's Noah has (in theory) almost 20watts more drag than Viviani's or Ackermann's Venge. Still Noah won againt 'physics'.
I am provocative of course. What I am saying is that all those who think that they can 'calculate' which bike is faster can often be very far from reality.
This argument is totally rediculous... Your argument is that people that support aero bikes think that the aero bike negates any and all differences in the rest of the total package... i.e if I give me grandma a Venge she'll beat me if I'm on a Tarmac. That's so simplified and no one has ever said that. When people look and compare bikes, they're doing so based on the argument that all other variables are equal.. i.e. if I'm riding two different bikes, I'm in same position, same power, same weather, etc... which is faster? Granted that doesn't represent all of the aspects that go into racing. Aero matters, it is a fact. Ask Caleb Ewan 1000 times which bike he'd prerfer to ride, I guarantee you, he'd choose the one that is most aero every single time, that's why he's on the Noah and not the Helium.
The most ridiculous is for you to argue that I said all this.

djcharlou
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

by djcharlou

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Gospel? Of course not. Our forum loves evidence and data and I just see the data.
Remind me again. When was the last time a pro bike had mechanical (not electrical) issues?
Andy Schleck TDF 2010 ?

gravity
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by gravity

kgt wrote: According to Ridley, yes.
See the comparative tests, see the exact setup of the bikes, do your calculations and you will realise that Ewan's Noah has (in theory) almost 20watts more drag than Viviani's or Ackermann's Venge. Still Noah won againt 'physics'.
I am provocative of course. What I am saying is that all those who think that they can 'calculate' which bike is faster can often be very far from reality.
By your own logic - whoever said that a Venge saves 20watts compared to a Noah, can often be very far from reality.

You are cherry picking an argument that support your agenda and leaving other arguments that may proof otherwise.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
micky
Posts: 4917
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Vicenza
Contact:

by micky

Mollema and Yates on LW disc.

Yates and Nibali on what appeared to be custom TT bars but different shape that would suggest different supplier?

User avatar
Noctiluxx
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

Roglic, wow!
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

Imperial Roglic!

I guess Yates shouldn't say the others should shit their pants, lost over 3min to Rocglic, 2min to Nibali... Might make for some fun in the mountains with his time loss, now he'll have to attack on every climb!

Surprisingly good ride by Mollema.

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

I didn't get out bed quite fast enough to watch VC's ride, so he changed bikes? Sounds like they're not sure if it was planned?

Roglic well done, I wonder if Yates went out too hard? From the times I saw the camera go to Yates he seemed to catch as much rain as anyone I've gotten to watch today.

djcharlou
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

by djcharlou

kytyree wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm
I didn't get out bed quite fast enough to watch VC's ride, so he changed bikes? Sounds like they're not sure if it was planned?

Roglic well done, I wonder if Yates went out too hard? From the times I saw the camera go to Yates he seemed to catch as much rain as anyone I've gotten to watch today.
Yes chain dropped, bike change in the middle of the climb but the mechanic didn't push him to restart and it was on the big ring so 11" are probably here.
He was clearly disappointed.

Re-Yates , "what goes around comes around?"

User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

In other news, Mathieu Van der Poel was better than Nino in the opening XC World Cup. He won the short track friday and 2nd to Fluckiger today on a track that didn't favor him... Nino was 3rd friday and 6th today... Mathieu is the World Cup leader, 2nd round next weekend.

ichobi
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 pm

by ichobi

I guess this is why cyclists avoid smack talk before the race, when you actually have to be as good as you claim for 21 days straight, not one hour of boxing or Basketball match.

Vermu
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:39 am

by Vermu

djcharlou wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Gospel? Of course not. Our forum loves evidence and data and I just see the data.
Remind me again. When was the last time a pro bike had mechanical (not electrical) issues?
Andy Schleck TDF 2010 ?
That was his mistake more or less.

But damn Roglic is growing, he hasn’t been around long and boy I can’t wait to see him challenge Ineos boys.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie


User avatar
Noctiluxx
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

LOL at Yates talking smack before the tour. Dude got smacked today.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post