2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

kytyree

by kytyree

I've been a bit frustrated with NBC's coverage of the Tour of California but they certainly got in there with some closeups of Porte's bike when he had that mechanicial problem.

kytyree

by kytyree

And I hope DQS reminded the commissars in California:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

desperado95219

by desperado95219

[quote=Calnago post_id=1488289 time=1558209878 user_id=18198]
I'm still scratching my head over the whole TVG incident. I don't think there's any way around viewing that decision as a blatant "favor" to hometown boy. The cutoff of 3km is set, there's not a "but we can use discretion about when to apply it" clause anywhere in there that I'm aware of. It's kind of embarrassing really. For US cycling in general. Wish I got better coverage of the Giro.
[/quote]
I don't think it should be embarassing for US Cycling. The decision was made by a Belgian UCI official, the way I understood it, not race management.....agree it was a stupid decision. It sounds like he made the decision and then refused to admit making a mistake when confronted with the facts (film).

ichobi

by ichobi

KWalker wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 pm
Porte and Tejay showed why they are the 2 worst investments in the WT. Helen Keller would have been a better choice in her day.
May be some rider isn't just cut it to be the leader ? Porte and Tejay performed way better when they were superdomesique. Tejay's best placing was 5th at the Tour the year Cadel won the race. Porte got 5th as well when raced for Froome. Landa is another good example.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ichobi wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:14 pm
KWalker wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 pm
Porte and Tejay showed why they are the 2 worst investments in the WT. Helen Keller would have been a better choice in her day.
May be some rider isn't just cut it to be the leader ? Porte and Tejay performed way better when they were superdomesique. Tejay's best placing was 5th at the Tour the year Cadel won the race. Porte got 5th as well when raced for Froome. Landa is another good example.
I don't think it's quite fair to lump them both together. Although he's massively underperformed at GTs for various reasons, Porte has a solid palmares of major stage race wins and podiums that TVG can't hold a candle to.

dastott

by dastott

Until Roglic’s ascendancy last year, Porte had arguably the best palmares in 1 week stage races of anyone (Valverde might argue though). He got 4th in the 2016 Tour riding as a leader, and should have been on the podium. Not comparable to TJ to be fair...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kytyree wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:56 pm
I've been a bit frustrated with NBC's coverage of the Tour of California but they certainly got in there with some closeups of Porte's bike when he had that mechanicial problem.

Does NBC actually do anything other than overlay commentary on the ASO world feed?

kytyree

by kytyree

For California I don’t know, but it’s more the way it’s produced and what we actually get to see. The footage is fine but it seems the coverage starts pretty late in the race sometimes and between commercials and some the other things they get sidetracked with there’s not enough of the actual race to me.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

kytyree wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 am
For California I don’t know, but it’s more the way it’s produced and what we actually get to see. The footage is fine but it seems the coverage starts pretty late in the race sometimes and between commercials and some the other things they get sidetracked with there’s not enough of the actual race to me.
Totaly agree... Let's choose a race course, that has 3 Categorized climbs early in the stage before the TV coverage comes on air and then when the coverage does come on air we can show 14 laps around a city circuit and talk about the great vacation expereinces in Gilroy, CA.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 am
Does NBC actually do anything other than overlay commentary on the ASO world feed?
That make it sound like someone outside of USA watches, or even cares about this race.

kytyree

by kytyree

I also would like them to cover the women’s race, but either cover it or don’t. The way they do it we miss out on the men’s race and don’t come close to getting enough of the women’s race to know what’s going on.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

kytyree wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:36 am
I also would like them to cover the women’s race, but either cover it or don’t. The way they do it we miss out on the men’s race and don’t come close to getting enough of the women’s race to know what’s going on.
In order to economically run both races the organizers need to run both races at the same time. They could broadcast both races fully, but one would need to be shown not live.
They use the same infrastructure like the finish line. The other day the women started in a different location than the men, but both headed to the same shared finish line. They originally calculated the women would cross the shared finish line 1 hour before the men. It turned out that the women had a heavy headwind and the men had a strong tail wind. The winds caused the women's peleton, at one point, to be 30 minutes behind their scheduled finish times, and the men were 30 minutes ahead of their scheduled finish time. It was setting up to be a collision of two race peleton to join on the same finish straight.
The organizers were in a panic thinking that they would have to stop the women's race before they turned onto the mens (or we should say shared) course a few KMs from the finish. They were frantically calculating times like a DS of the yellow jersey calculating the breakaway gap.
The women eventually made up some time and were able to cross the finish line before the men arrived, and the organizers had a very short turn around time to get the finish area cleaned up and ready for the mens arrival.
It would have been a shame to hold up the women because they miscalculated the speed of the two races.

kytyree

by kytyree

Not exactly.

They can only show one race at a time on NBCSN, but they also have their online portal and more other channels than I can keep track of. For example NBC's Premier League coverage on Saturdays and Sundays is spread over several channels and their online service. I understand the logistics and economics that cause the races to be run at the same time, for me that doesn't justify poorly covering both races concurrently on the same channel.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Coryn Rivera had a mechanical during her sprint at today's ToC stage. It looks like her RD is busted. She's on Di2. Anyone knows where to find a video footage of the incident?

Vermu

by Vermu

pdlpsher1 wrote:Coryn Rivera had a mechanical during her sprint at today's ToC stage. It looks like her RD is busted. She's on Di2. Anyone knows where to find a video footage of the incident?

Oh the irony - catastrophical axs working all hailed shimano to cross the line.
Btw when talking about electrical shifting EPS seems to be most reliable? Can’t remember single failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie