2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

It's really surprising to me that pros have so many electronic issues. I was one of the last people I knew to switch and never had a single issue myself. It was pretty easy to maintain and keep the batteries charged. I would think a WT team required to use such products would be able to sort out the bugs in the thousands of miles of pre-season riding and training and not manage to somehow have issues only when it realllllly would screw them over. I'm sure electronic isn't perfect, but it seems like an easy scapegoat. I wouldn't be surprised if some pros faked the issues.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

Yates got what he deserved.
Still, Roglic might s***t himself like Dumoulin 2 years ago, so we have to wait the last two weeks.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

While I vastly prefer mechanical on my own bikes, I have no issues with maintaining bikes with electronic shifting. In fact, if I was a pro tour mechanic, it would make my life easier. BUT, and this is a big one, when it fails, as good a mechanic as I like to believe I am, I can be left scratching my head as if I’d never lifted a wrench before if it’s an electronic issue. Because you can’t see where those little electrons are flowing or not flowing. I’m not carrying my E-tube diagnostics and laptop with me on the bike. And if it fails as it jams your chain or something, it can be impossible to recover from. New bike please. Which we see a lot of these days. Remember all the issues Froome was having a couple years ago during Le Tour, and he’s the yellow jersey. Whereas with mechanical, if something goes wrong it’s quite often a recoverable issue by the rider, or something that you can live with for a bit until the team car can get to you, versus being stranded right there.
Regarding Schleck’s chain issue years ago... uh... SRAM, say no more. And they still haven’t seemed to figure out how to get front shifting right, although I hear it may have improved with AXS, we’ll see.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Tagel Kangert on round-tube Supersix and he did fine. Systemsix does not look that popular among the riders.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am
I guess you are not aware of the tests at all are you? Noah is as aero as any other frame. Exposed brakes and cables, almost 10watts more drag than others and Caleb Ewan does not even use the integrated aero cockpit.
He saves way more than 10 watts in his position. (36cm deda bars which are closer to 34 because deda measures outside to outside and 150mm stem with a custom top cap to get him lower IIRC). An integrated cockpit with something like a venge would be probably slower for him because AFAIK aerofly II's come in 38cm as their narrowest size.

There are way too many factors at play to compare the aerodynamics of bikes during a sprint like that.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Rainy stage at the Giro and after looking through the pics I only see Majka and Jungels on disks. Weird. My guess is that the riders don't want the extra weight to slow them down on the climb?

TonyM

by TonyM

Rain = disc brake for safety and for the descents
Last edited by TonyM on Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jugi

by Jugi

Was it much different on stage 1? All though it’s a GT race, I bet the teams are definetly not interested in lugging around more than one TT bike per rider (+ a spare for key riders). All riders seemed to be on a TT specific front wheel and a disc at the back, so no need to ponder about possible cross-compatibility to a disc brake road bike.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm
Tagel Kangert on round-tube Supersix and he did fine. Systemsix does not look that popular among the riders.
He changed bike. First he was on TT bike.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

kgt

by kgt

Yes, as Kampenaerts. Both did fine.

Wookski

by Wookski

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm
kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am
I guess you are not aware of the tests at all are you? Noah is as aero as any other frame. Exposed brakes and cables, almost 10watts more drag than others and Caleb Ewan does not even use the integrated aero cockpit.
He saves way more than 10 watts in his position. (36cm deda bars which are closer to 34 because deda measures outside to outside and 150mm stem with a custom top cap to get him lower IIRC). An integrated cockpit with something like a venge would be probably slower for him because AFAIK aerofly II's come in 38cm as their narrowest size.

There are way too many factors at play to compare the aerodynamics of bikes during a sprint like that.
I love how people quote “the tests” with no reference to their sources or data. Agree re: Ewan’s position, it’s amongst the most aero in the peloton and should easily make up for lack of integration.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Exactly! Also, there is no way that the amount of cable showing costs 10 watts. On a regular-sized person's bike maybe, but with Ewan there is such little cable exposed anyways that 10 watts is a very very very far stretch.

kgt

by kgt

I agree that the rider is the main and most important source of drag. The frame - aero or not - has almost negligible impact.
Considering the data you ask for see here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154692

2019 Specialized Venge Disc - 208w
2019 Ridley Noah Fast Disc - 213w

These are both disc frames with integrated aero cockpits rolling at 45km/h. So, add 5 watts because we are closer to 60km/h, add 5 watts for the non aero cockpit, and add 5 watts for exposed rim brakes and exposed cables. There you have 20watts more drag for the Noah. Not to mention the less aero Bora wheelset in comparison to the Roval.
If you don't agree you are free to do your maths.

ave

by ave

I'd think normal brake calipers in a sprint does not mean even half a wheel's worth of a disadvantage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I agree. I am just arguing based on what the various aero tests want us to believe.