2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

seaneT1

by seaneT1

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm
You guys are reading a lot into one photo of G. It could be a one off. He forgot or lost his current pair of glasses. He could be back in his trademark Oakleys tomorrow.
And that is probably what will happen. That seems like a one off, just for the photographs.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Of course we're reading a lot into it... its the internet and we have no racing to discuss. hahaha this time last year, we were discussing salbutamol... sunglasses seem like a step up to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm
IchDien wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 am
Have Oakley finally said "Please stop wearing a frame no longer available to purchase / What the hell do we sponsor you for" to Geraint?
One of the few downsides to winning the Tour?
Yeah, but the upside is they probably said “... and here’s another zero on the contract to make it up to you.” :wink:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

seaneT1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:10 pm
IchDien wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am
Does anyone think the Merida bikes will have an effect on Rohan Dennis' 2019 season / Cervélo for Dumoulin?
I believe that those changes are large enough to have an impact on their performance, but whether that impact will be of any significance remains to be seen when the season properly starts. January 3rd and can not wait any longer for proper racing to start again!!! :lol:
short answer: nope

longer answer: bikes these days are all so good there's simply no reason to expect any top of the line model to affect performance; same as no bike will give anyone any advantage, beside some whispers in the head "man, that's a good ride" - but as most of all probably know, after few rides these whispers disapear as we get used to the bike.

of course there's a possibility that components will make themselves 'visible' this season (and I'm betting dollars to doughnuts it's gonna happen one way or the other) - those pro bikes are getting seriously complicated with new areas becoming prone to some kind of failure or malfunction.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

All bikes are top level, but there is still different geometries, different rider mentality, weight, ride qualities and characteristics, and last but not least, different components, for which, unlike the bikes, not all are top end (Rudy TT helmets for example compared to Giro...). So only time will really tell.

Sapateira

by Sapateira

Astana goes with FSA groupset, at minimun some riders are traning with and the Izaguirre are the presentation photo with the bike on FSA WE!

nemeseri

by nemeseri

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm
seaneT1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:10 pm
IchDien wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am
Does anyone think the Merida bikes will have an effect on Rohan Dennis' 2019 season / Cervélo for Dumoulin?
I believe that those changes are large enough to have an impact on their performance, but whether that impact will be of any significance remains to be seen when the season properly starts. January 3rd and can not wait any longer for proper racing to start again!!! :lol:
short answer: nope

longer answer: bikes these days are all so good there's simply no reason to expect any top of the line model to affect performance; same as no bike will give anyone any advantage, beside some whispers in the head "man, that's a good ride" - but as most of all probably know, after few rides these whispers disapear as we get used to the bike.

of course there's a possibility that components will make themselves 'visible' this season (and I'm betting dollars to doughnuts it's gonna happen one way or the other) - those pro bikes are getting seriously complicated with new areas becoming prone to some kind of failure or malfunction.
In the case of high-end road bikes, I agree that equipment makes very little difference. In the case of TT bikes, I think that frame / wheels / cockpit / helmet / skinsuit combination can make a difference.

pastronef

by pastronef

Sapateira wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 pm
Astana goes with FSA groupset, at minimun some riders are traning with and the Izaguirre are the presentation photo with the bike on FSA WE!
on Veloptimal forum they say Dura-Ace for the races, FSA for show and training

Karvalo

by Karvalo

pastronef wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 pm
Sapateira wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 pm
on Veloptimal forum they say Dura-Ace for the races, FSA for show and training
Really? That's not great for FSA.

It makes sense that DiData are never going to use UNO despite the Rotor sponsorship, because that tech was DOA as far as road racing goes. But FSA WE should be a race quality groupset, otherwise what's the point of it?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

anyone have a photo of DML riding Cervelo TT bike?

IchDien

by IchDien

Any predictions for AUS RR nationals?

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

New (or custom) lace up Rapha shoes for Lachlan Morton, via IG. I think he had been using the Rapha Climber shoes previously. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

chorus88

by chorus88

First win for CCC Team,
Patrick Bevin, 2019 National Championships NewZealand - ITT
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 pm
I guess G likes the full framed nature of his old Oakleys, so the Jawbreakers are the best option for him that Oakley can actually sell to his fans :D.
Field jackets would be more appropriate if going for framed lenses

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:23 am

Field jackets would be more appropriate if going for framed lenses

He tried those when they first came out and went back to the Racing Jackets.