2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Vermu wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 am
Oh the irony - catastrophical axs working all hailed shimano to cross the line.
The race is sponsored by Sram so every rider on Sram doubles as neutral support :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Vermu wrote:

Btw when talking about electrical shifting EPS seems to be most reliable? Can’t remember single failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nibali at Giro 2016 Stage 15 uphill ITT, rear der goes away

edit: errr probably mechanical groupset at that time. Still a big failure there's a video on YT

Wookski

by Wookski

Vermu wrote:
Btw when talking about electrical shifting EPS seems to be most reliable? Can’t remember single failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nibali Giro TT 2016- broken rear mech was def EPS

kgt

by kgt

LeDuke wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 pm
kgt wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm
@Giro
What happened to the laws of physics today? I saw two aero bikes loosing the sprint by a non aero one!
; )
Were you watching a different Giro in an alternate universe, in which a Ridley Noah isn't an aero bike, or in which a Ridley Noah didn't win today?
I guess you are not aware of the tests at all are you? Noah is as aero as any other frame. Exposed brakes and cables, almost 10watts more drag than others and Caleb Ewan does not even use the integrated aero cockpit.
Last edited by kgt on Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi

by Rudi

On the Coryn Rivera mechanical - where is her chain on those photos? That's what it looked like to me watching it on TV. Broken chain, not rear mech issue.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Wookski

by Wookski

kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am
LeDuke wrote:
kgt wrote:
@Giro
What happened to the laws of physics today? I saw two aero bikes loosing the sprint by a non aero one!
; )
Were you watching a different Giro in an alternate universe, in which a Ridley Noah isn't an aero bike, or in which a Ridley Noah didn't win today?
I guess you are not aware of the tests at all are you? Noah is as aero as any other frame. Exposed brakes and cables, almost 10watts more drag than others and Caleb Ewan does not even use the integrated aero cockpit.
Stop trying to be controversial, of course it’s an aero bike.

KotP

by KotP

Vermu wrote:
Well if this isn't burned into your memory, it should be now:

Jammed rear mech from memory, crashed trying to free the chain at the Vuelta.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

AFAIK when your DI2 is busted, it's not a mechanical - it's an electrical. entirely avoidable, if you're running mechanical shifting :beerchug:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

kgt

by kgt

+100
Of course, according to many in this forum electrical groupsets are as reliable as mechanical.
lol

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

kgt wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
kgt wrote:
@Giro
; )
kgt wrote:+100
Of course, according to many in this forum electrical groupsets are as reliable as mechanical.
lol
And according to you, anything you dribble is gospel.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Gospel? Of course not. Our forum loves evidence and data and I just see the data.
Remind me again. When was the last time a pro bike had mechanical (not electrical) issues?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Remind me the last time there were more than 1/2% of the pelo on Mechanical at any one time at a race outside PR?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Great argument... I' ve told you again: Go back to time as far as you like. There were never so many issues with groupsets as there are today with electrical groupsets.

kgt

by kgt

Wookski wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am
kgt wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am
LeDuke wrote:
kgt wrote:
@Giro
; )
Stop trying to be controversial, of course it’s an aero bike.
According to Ridley, yes.
See the comparative tests, see the exact setup of the bikes, do your calculations and you will realise that Ewan's Noah has (in theory) almost 20watts more drag than Viviani's or Ackermann's Venge. Still Noah won againt 'physics'.
I am provocative of course. What I am saying is that all those who think that they can 'calculate' which bike is faster can often be very far from reality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Whut?
Electrical unreliable compared to mech?

The only difference is that mech systems you tend to get lots of warning as it fails and it can be fixed fairly easily on the move, plus it will carry on sort of working despite being broken. So you very rarely see failures at key moments. TBH you very rarely see coverage of the failure/fix at all. As the rider can limp their way back to the team car, get fixed/new bike and get back into the thick of it before it's even been noticed.

Electrical can work perfectly for 20000km, then in the time it takes to think about shifting, fail completely. So it's not even easy to get back to the team car.

FWIW from the guys i still speak to in the business electrical is a) far more reliable. i.e. they do less repairs, b) usually catastrophic from a race perspective when it does break and c) a pain because of a and b.

What they need is far better on board diagnostics, live streamed to the mechanic. ;)
Last edited by mattr on Sun May 19, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.