2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

The "official word" is that Porte's chain dropped. Somewhat believable but you have to wonder if it's just sponsor BS and they don't want to throw SRAM under the bus :noidea:
guyc wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am
You have to wonder at what point people stop signing TVG as a viable GC rider.
TBF if they had a TT like every other year he would have been up there in the GC at the end of the day

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

DeeHubbs wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 am
His SRAM options would be 50/37 Chainrings with a 10-28 cassette.
It looked like was grinding uphill in his big ring like 50-21 (2.38 ratio)
It looks like the FD dropped off to the 37, and suddenly he was highly spinning in 37-21.
If his FD was fawked his only recovery was to shift down to 37-16 (2.31 ratio), which looks like what he did.
I think you're right about this. Looking at the replay it seemed he tries a few times to get it back into the big ring, and when it fails just changes the rear derailleur to adjust for it

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

From the start of yesterday's stage... you thnk Asgreen is pissed that Tejay is in yellow?

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

gwilson wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm
DeeHubbs wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 am
His SRAM options would be 50/37 Chainrings with a 10-28 cassette.
It looked like was grinding uphill in his big ring like 50-21 (2.38 ratio)
It looks like the FD dropped off to the 37, and suddenly he was highly spinning in 37-21.
If his FD was fawked his only recovery was to shift down to 37-16 (2.31 ratio), which looks like what he did.
I think you're right about this. Looking at the replay it seemed he tries a few times to get it back into the big ring, and when it fails just changes the rear derailleur to adjust for it
Thats what I saw, dropped from big ring to small ring, from 70rpm to 130+ RPM. Chain was not totally off, just on small ring and spinning out. Tried a few times to shift up to the big ring, and said fawk it and shifted the rear to get into a pushable gear.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Should have been using 1x, with guide rails on either side of course. Those front derailleur shifts are, to quote a SRAM rep at the AXS launch... “catastrophic events”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rob81

by Rob81

maybe the TVG "drop" was kind of a "voluntary" way to get out of problems after the jury decision.
A way to avoid to discuss it any more and make it fair/even.

Vermu

by Vermu

Calnago wrote:Should have been using 1x, with guide rails on either side of course. Those front derailleur shifts are, to quote a SRAM rep at the AXS launch... “catastrophic events”.
Wonder when we see top guys going mechanical to avoid catastrophic events...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

guyc wrote:
He's second banana now on EF behind Rigoberto Uran.

mattr

by mattr

Vermu wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Calnago wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:06 pm
to quote a SRAM rep at the AXS aunch... “catastrophic events”.
Wonder when we see top guys going mechanical to avoid catastrophic events...
Or just buying loads of AXS stickers to put on their Di2.

kgt

by kgt

@Giro
What happened to the laws of physics today? I saw two aero bikes loosing the sprint by a non aero one!
; )

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm still scratching my head over the whole TVG incident. I don't think there's any way around viewing that decision as a blatant "favor" to hometown boy. The cutoff of 3km is set, there's not a "but we can use discretion about when to apply it" clause anywhere in there that I'm aware of. It's kind of embarrassing really. For US cycling in general. Wish I got better coverage of the Giro.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ichobi

by ichobi

kgt wrote:@Giro
What happened to the laws of physics today? I saw two aero bikes loosing the sprint by a non aero one!
; )

Errrr since when a Ridley NOAH is not an aero bike?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kgt wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm
@Giro
; )
Were you watching a different Giro in an alternate universe, in which a Ridley Noah isn't an aero bike, or in which a Ridley Noah didn't win today?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

AJS914 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm
guyc wrote:
He's second banana now on EF behind Rigoberto Uran.
I'd say he's behind Uran, Higuita, Woods and Martinez. Way the hell down the pecking order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Porte and Tejay showed why they are the 2 worst investments in the WT. Helen Keller would have been a better choice in her day.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike