2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

I love this shot
The look on Elia's face :lol:

flying

by flying

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 am
They just don’t make ‘em like they used to. C’mon... someone had to say it.

On today’s ride I got really mad at some clouds. Image
Clouds or not :D Your right

Tube & Lug was as good as carbon ever was..... Oh I better say IMO :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Today stage was not flat. It has 3000m of elevation. Tough day not to mention the crosswind. And the finishing kms has some hills. Whoever design the route this year should get a raise. Just epic. I mean you dont drop gc contenders by two minutes in any mountain stage.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How massively epic would it be if the Overall Classification on the final day came down to the final sprint on the Champs-Élysées.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ichobi

by ichobi

Calnago wrote:How massively epic would it be if the Overall Classification on the final day came down to the final sprint on the Champs-Élysées.
Has that ever happened sometimes in the past?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not that I know of. It’s usually mostly kind of a cremonial procession to Paris for the GC guys as the Overall Leader has already been decided barring some freak event where the GC guy can’t finish. But the sprint on the Champs is what I live for, and there could be potentially the green jersey up for grabs. I’ve certainly been on the edge of my seat at times over that. If it turned out that the GC guys also had to contest a sprint, well... wow! Mostly by then they just have to stay out of harms way. But if they had to sprint amongst themselves, even if behind the big boys battling for green jersey points, then it would be truly WOW! And mayhem amongst the pack I’m sure.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

ichobi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm
Calnago wrote:How massively epic would it be if the Overall Classification on the final day came down to the final sprint on the Champs-Élysées.
I remember Vino winning the last stage, earning a 20sec bonus and jumping past Levi Leipheimer on GC in 2005, Levi wasn't pleased but it was for 5th place.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 pm
But the sprint on the Champs is what I live for, and there could be potentially the green jersey up for grabs. I’ve certainly been on the edge of my seat at times over that. If it turned out that the GC guys also had to contest a sprint, well... wow! Mostly by then they just have to stay out of harms way. But if they had to sprint amongst themselves, even if behind the big boys battling for green jersey points, then it would be truly WOW!
Sorry, but the scenario doesn't play out. The bonus seconds are only for 1,2,3 - and no GC contenders have a hope in hell of outsprinting enough of the big boys on that circuit to get 3rd or better. Even if the GC 1st/2nd time gap was under 10 seconds coming into Paris they're simply not going to get involved.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think most readers of my post would realize I was just flirting with fantasy for a moment.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Actually, in early years, breakaway wins did not appear uncommon. A surprising three straight occurred between 1977 and 1979. It has become very rare, lending an increasingly valued place in Tour lore to the few who have achieved it. Those are Frenchmen Alain Meslet (1977), Bernard Hinault (1979) and Eddy Seigneur (1994), Dutchman Gerrie Knetemann (1978), American Jeff Pierce (1987), and Kazakhstani Alexander Vinokourov (2005).

I also remember hearing a story about Mercks taking off like 70 miles from the finish once and having the entire peloton chase even though he was in yellow because he thought they should race all the way to the end. Don’t quote me on that last part though

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good to know... The fantasy lives on

flying

by flying

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:52 pm
ichobi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm
I remember Vino winning the last stage, earning a 20sec bonus and jumping past Levi Leipheimer on GC in 2005, Levi wasn't pleased but it was for 5th place.

For me the closest thing was 1989 when Lemond Beat Fignon in final stage which was a TT into Paris & that was exciting !

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Yes!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yeah, but it was ITT not a sprint stage. fwiw I find ITT deciding upon final GC boring.. but so is the final parade in Paris. srsly, it's a waste of stage. I get it's a huge thing, almost a bank holiday for the French, but I'd really love ASO to introduce at least some kind of racing between the start and the finish line - like, why not start with few laps in Paris - for champagne and photos, then go on some loop where >something< might happen and come back for just one final lap on Champs Elysees :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anyone know what caused the DeMarchi crash. Just a touch of wheels? With those injuries you'd think he ran into a building.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com