2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Stitchking wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 am
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... dar-428030

What are the thoughts on this? Seems pretty backwards to me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was more taken aback by the change of the season back to the summer months. With the proliferation of indoor velodromes, the move some years back to make track cycling a winter season part of the sport seemed a good one. Riders could participate in track and still be able to ride for road trade teams if they wish. This change will make it harder to do I think. There are not too many road teams that will want to use their budgets to support track riders. Sure the odd star like Viviani will get some leeway, but would someone like Roger Kluge who is a top points race rider, be granted the latitude to go off an do that and leave his sprint leadout duties on the road unfulfilled?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djcharlou

by djcharlou

First victory for the Shiv TT Disc today with Lampaert no ?
Actually it's 1&2, a bit better

flying

by flying

That was close for Egan...Good reaction/skills! :o

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/D9rNxLZWkAAwYE9.mp4

Wookski

by Wookski

flying wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:28 pm
That was close for Egan...Good reaction/skills! :o

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/D9rNxLZWkAAwYE9.mp4
I would love to see Brailsford’s reaction!

Dennis must have been gassed from stage 7, couldn’t even put 2 seconds/ km into Bernal.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

+Dennis looks thinner than usual, he used to crush this kind of TT. But yes big effort the day before don't help.
Benoot looks in very good shape !

Karvalo

by Karvalo

He had been looking good but it doesn't bode well for Dennis' long term GC ambitions if he's again too tired already after a couple of mountain stages in a 1 week race. If he gets shelled today he could lose half an hour.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Dennis was good today, he surprised me how at ease he looked on the climbs, he couldn't trouble Bernal, as expected, but that was the only rider to stick with him when he accelerated on the last climb.

Also, very impressive ride by Hugh Carthy going solo almost from the start and making it to his first WorldTour win.

But Bernal looked like he was on a recovery ride, I think lifting the trophee on the podium was harder than win the race for him! :mrgreen:

I hope he has the freedom and doesn't ruin his chances waiting for Geraint in the Tour.

Mep

by Mep

Impressive ride from Hugh Carthy, seems like a very good season for him so far. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Tour if he participates.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Mep wrote:Impressive ride from Hugh Carthy, seems like a very good season for him so far. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Tour if he participates.
In his post-stage comments he suggested he’s taking a break now. Going on holiday. Makes me think he’s going to gear up for the Vuelta, and won’t be at the tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Just watched the highlights, and couldn't help it to keep saying "damn, those cannondales sure are sexy and understated compared to the visual attrocity that Pinnarelo is"!!!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:43 pm
Stitchking wrote:

I was more taken aback by the change of the season back to the summer months. With the proliferation of indoor velodromes, the move some years back to make track cycling a winter season part of the sport seemed a good one. Riders could participate in track and still be able to ride for road trade teams if they wish. This change will make it harder to do I think. There are not too many road teams that will want to use their budgets to support track riders. Sure the odd star like Viviani will get some leeway, but would someone like Roger Kluge who is a top points race rider, be granted the latitude to go off an do that and leave his sprint leadout duties on the road unfulfilled?
I think this is going to be a huge setback for Track and Cross with the reduction of World cup events. In Ontario Canada we have recently built an Olympic size indoor Velodrome that gets one World Cup a year which draws a big crowd. We have many talented athletes that need this kind of exposure in order to progress. If you check Twitter on this subject many people are saying the UCI is changing the rules because of underdogs like Hubcycling that are coming up with wins that seem to be stepping on some toes. I am pretty sure that track is not going to compete all that well during the summer when road cycling is at full sing. I hope this provision does not come to a reality.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TonyM

by TonyM

bikeboy1tr wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:43 pm
Stitchking wrote:

I think this is going to be a huge setback for Track and Cross with the reduction of World cup events. In Ontario Canada we have recently built an Olympic size indoor Velodrome that gets one World Cup a year which draws a big crowd. We have many talented athletes that need this kind of exposure in order to progress. If you check Twitter on this subject many people are saying the UCI is changing the rules because of underdogs like Hubcycling that are coming up with wins that seem to be stepping on some toes. I am pretty sure that track is not going to compete all that well during the summer when road cycling is at full sing. I hope this provision does not come to a reality.
What do you mean with «underdogs like Hubcycling that are coming up with wins »?

kevinw

by kevinw

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:24 am
What do you mean with «underdogs like Hubcycling that are coming up with wins »?
I dont see this as an issue surely? Makes it far more interesting in my view.

micky

by micky

From a fans point of view, no.
From a cycling point of view, no (increase the level of racing and so on).
But as bikeboy suggested, probably some federations which normally see medals coming in, are not happy with those team "stealing" their medals/victories and thus made pressure to UCI to makes some changes.

Personally also the change of dates could be very bad cause as some pointed out already, there could be less roadies taking part and that's a big seatback for whole track circus "selling point".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

I think the total non-represenation of trade teams at the UCI track champs is a real step backward for the sport. I just don't get that decision.
I 'get' how they can justify changing the series from six to three and even get why they might have thought changing the season would help them (I don't agree with it), but I can't see how they can just wipe trade teams out of the picture.
Rubbish.
Long live the cycling republic of #Derbados